Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-11-2008, 07:44 PM   #1
Mom2BabiesA&I
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Can't poo

So I know some time between BMs is normal for a EBF baby, however, its been a week or more for DD and it really seems to be bothering her. I will be calling my pedi tomorrow but I was wondering what people have used as "tried and true" options to help things out?

She is 3.5 months old and has never had anything but breastmilk...

Advertisement

Old 09-11-2008, 07:55 PM   #2
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can't poo

Unless her poop is hard like pellets she isn't constipated and really Exclusive breast babies don't get constipated, she sounds liek she is fine.

I would do nothing.

Here are some great links.

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/bm.html

It can be completely normal to go only once every eight days -- as long as the stool is soft when it comes out. Breast milk is an amazing food that leaves very little in the way of waste.

http://www.mother-2-mother.com/normal.htm#NormalStools
it can be completely normal to go only once every eight days -- as long as the stool is soft when it comes out. Breast milk is an amazing food that leaves very little in the way of waste.

http://www.babycareadvice.com/babyca...icle.php?id=48

Parents OFTEN become concerned about infant constipation when they observe NORMAL changes in their baby's bowel habits and behavior, which COMMONLY occur around 2 - 6 weeks of age. It's around this age that the FREQUENCY of babies' bowel motions often DECREASES, (this being more obvious in breastfed babies). It is ALSO around this age that many babies are first observed to 'STRAIN' when having a bowel motion OR passing gas.

Unfortunately, these changes frequently occur at a time when MANY infants are becoming increasingly IRRITABLE and so parents naturally assume there is a connection. However, in MOST situations changes in bowel habits have NOTHING to do with an infant's irritable behavior.

It's NOT the FREQUENCY of bowel motions or STRAINING that determines if your baby is constipated; it's the CONSISTENCY of his stools.

What you don't want to do is start a bad habit of supossitories or karo syrup in water, babies an get to here they can't poop without the suppositories and they sure don't need the sugar.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:02 PM   #3
Mom2BabiesA&I
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakewright View Post
Unless her poop is hard like pellets she isn't constipated and really Exclusive breast babies don't get constipated, she sounds liek she is fine.

I would do nothing.

Here are some great links.

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/bm.html

It can be completely normal to go only once every eight days -- as long as the stool is soft when it comes out. Breast milk is an amazing food that leaves very little in the way of waste.

http://www.mother-2-mother.com/normal.htm#NormalStools
it can be completely normal to go only once every eight days -- as long as the stool is soft when it comes out. Breast milk is an amazing food that leaves very little in the way of waste.

http://www.babycareadvice.com/babyca...icle.php?id=48

Parents OFTEN become concerned about infant constipation when they observe NORMAL changes in their baby's bowel habits and behavior, which COMMONLY occur around 2 - 6 weeks of age. It's around this age that the FREQUENCY of babies' bowel motions often DECREASES, (this being more obvious in breastfed babies). It is ALSO around this age that many babies are first observed to 'STRAIN' when having a bowel motion OR passing gas.

Unfortunately, these changes frequently occur at a time when MANY infants are becoming increasingly IRRITABLE and so parents naturally assume there is a connection. However, in MOST situations changes in bowel habits have NOTHING to do with an infant's irritable behavior.

It's NOT the FREQUENCY of bowel motions or STRAINING that determines if your baby is constipated; it's the CONSISTENCY of his stools.

What you don't want to do is start a bad habit of supossitories or karo syrup in water, babies an get to here they can't poop without the suppositories and they sure don't need the sugar.
Thanks for the links but I dunno what her poo is like...its been too long since she has gone...the last time she went it was okay but it really might have been 9 or 10 days. Time goes too fast . I know its been at least a week. I should really be marking it somewhere so I know when she goes.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:05 PM   #4
Melaine
Registered Users
seller

I was told it was fine to give them a little bit of prune juice. That helped my girls, but they were bottle-fed.
Melaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:10 PM   #5
naivete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When my first LO had an issue and I had the okay from the doctor, I used an infant glycerin suppository. I didn't leave it in there for like 15 minutes like it suggested, but it stimulated the area enough that he started pushing right against it and he pooped like right on it. I would only ever suggest it though if you were sure there was an issue and not just that it had been a while, especially if bub is breastfed!
Old 09-11-2008, 08:14 PM   #6
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I understand the not remembering thing, lol.

I would give her some time, maybe a warm bath and let ehr stand up on her little legs and kind of bouce, sometimes some exercise, can help, lol! Also the bicicle leg move sometimes help.

If you are really worried you can try taking her temperature, lol, sometimes just touching those muscles will encourage a response. Then you will know if she was really in trouble not and you can start counting from today.

My babies poop starts looking more like tooth paste or peanut butter at this age and that is really normal.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:15 PM   #7
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
I was told it was fine to give them a little bit of prune juice. That helped my girls, but they were bottle-fed.
Bottle feeding is way different and most of the time it is constipation caused by too much iron, unable to be absorbed, unlike the bio-avaliable source of iron in breastmilk.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:25 PM   #8
Melaine
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakewright View Post
Bottle feeding is way different and most of the time it is constipation caused by too much iron, unable to be absorbed, unlike the bio-avaliable source of iron in breastmilk.

They were bottle-fed breast milk. It is possible for breastfed babies to be constipated; although I agree it is likely more common when ff.
Melaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:05 PM   #9
mrsrlgs12
Registered Users

My Pedi told me that it is completely normal to go longs periods (even up to 2 weeks) without a BM. Also, at 3.5 months their little bodies are still learning how to work all those muscles too go. ALSO, we were not really designed to poo laying down. Try sitting with her in your lap with her in a sitting position. My DD had the same "problem" and we would sit on the couch with our feet up so that she could recline against our legs and then do bicycle motions with her legs. If all else fails, I was also told that if you act like you are taking their tempurature and leave the thermomiter in their little bottom for 3 minutes exactly, that will get things moving. I was told this by the night nurse from my pedi office. It works too!
mrsrlgs12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:33 PM   #10
bjaneen
Banned

My Mood:

i would try taking her temp but beyond that i would wait until you know if she is truly constipated before doing anything else. there is very little left to be pooped out w/ EBF babes
bjaneen is offline   Reply With Quote