Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-12-2008, 10:46 AM   #1
taralee2001
Registered Users

My Mood:
Supply question

Everyone keeps telling me that my supply will regulate itself if I simply nurse on demand. Well I have always nursed on demand. DD nurses whenever and wherever she wants. I am still engorged and leaky all the time. She only nurses from one side at a session and has never finished a side at one feeding. I have tried to avoid pumping so that I don't make things worse, instead when I get too full and DD's not hungry I just unhook my bra, put a prefold under my boob and let the milk run out till I'm not engorged anymore. She's 2 1/2 months old, I really thought my supply would regulate by now. Am I just always going to be like this? Do I just stop trying to let it self-regulate and just start pumping the excess and building up a freezer stash? I know in the realm of breastfeeding problems this is not a bad one to have but being so full all the time is pretty uncomfortable.

Advertisement

Old 09-12-2008, 10:59 AM   #2
sdavis514
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Supply question

From my understanding, at this point it is still affected by hormone levels. Around 3-4 months is when the pp hormones fade and then it really is about supply and demand.

I would pump off some of the extra to build a freezer stash. Just don't pump too much, try to make it the same time every day. Soon your body will start to regulate and you will want that pumping session already worked in there!

As BFing problems go, this is a relatively easy one to fix! Sounds like you have an awesome supply. The prefold thing is probably the best idea b/c you do not want to pump every time ( unless you want to have a really big freezer stash for returning to work or you want to donate it!)

HTH and good luck!
Old 09-12-2008, 10:59 AM   #3
mommypack
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It will get better-some women just produce more milk than others. I had the same problem, but it didn't last quite as long, maybe just two months. For almost all of that time, I would just go braless at home, with the prefolds(one at each breast) under my shirt. At night I had to sleep with prefolds on my chest and a towel under me on the bed because I would leak soooo much. Eventually my supply regulated itself, and I have no leaking problems whatsoever. I've gone through this same scenario with all my kids. Most people I've talked to only have a leaky problem with the first. Hope that helps.
mommypack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
clb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would try block feeding (offering the same side twice) BEFORE I would try pumpling (since you are dealing with supply and demand, pumping may increase your supply). I dealt with oversupply for the first 3 months and block feedings really helped, but did not solve it entirely. DS is 5 months old today and I still have a super fast letdown and feel engorged if my little guy goes too long between feedings at night (I'm actually nervous about him sleeping through the night as I think I will need to get up and pump anyway since they get so full).

There is great info and links to articles on Kellymom regarding hyperlactation.
C- Proud mama to M (4/08). Loving wife to J. Excited about welcoming baby #2 into our APing, BWing, Non-Circing, Selective Vaxing, happy, hippy family in 03/11
clb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:34 PM   #5
txmom72
Registered Users

My Mood:

I feel your pain! I had the same thing happen with my first one. It took me until around 5-6 months PP for it to regulate. I haven't had too many problems with my current nursling.

I did pump to relieve myself, especially before bed.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:36 PM   #6
annya25
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb View Post
I would try block feeding (offering the same side twice) BEFORE I would try pumpling (since you are dealing with supply and demand, pumping may increase your supply). I dealt with oversupply for the first 3 months and block feedings really helped, but did not solve it entirely. DS is 5 months old today and I still have a super fast letdown and feel engorged if my little guy goes too long between feedings at night (I'm actually nervous about him sleeping through the night as I think I will need to get up and pump anyway since they get so full).

There is great info and links to articles on Kellymom regarding hyperlactation.
A woman in my LLL group had the same experience, and she intuitively started doing this. Our group leader said it is a good way to deal with oversupply. You could also take advantage of the wealth and donate to a milk bank!
annya25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:47 PM   #7
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

so sorry mama! I'd follow other's advice above.. I have always had the same issues!! Oversupply is quite annoying I know!! I'm actually giving some to the milk bank (hopefully I'm still in the process of approval). I hate leaking! I'm always leaking myself!!
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 03:57 PM   #8
amldaley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

[QUOTE=sdavis514;4759021]I would pump off some of the extra to build a freezer stash. Just don't pump too much, try to make it the same time every day. Soon your body will start to regulate and you will want that pumping session already worked in there![QUOTE]

Except, isn't the excess you pump off foremilk? isn't that why babies have a hard time w/ hyperlactation is digesting excess foremilk? I have been trying this and I have a freezer full of cloudy water

I NEEED to build a freezer stash so as to be ready to RTW. argh.

ISO bamboo and zorb inserts, truely EUC Tiny Tush Elites, long rise AIO's, a Yamo, a Scootababy !
amldaley is offline   Reply With Quote