Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-12-2008, 05:40 PM   #1
NaturalMomof2
Registered Users

My Mood:
Not Filling Enough? Help!

I need some support, encouragement, and help mamas. I have been trying my hardest to stay positive, but I feel like I'm losing my steam and I almost feel like a failure...

To start... with my first born, I was only able to breastfeed for 3 weeks before I had to start supplementing with a preemie formula (NeoSure -DD was born at 36 weeks & needed the extra) due to lack of supply, my milk wasnt filling enough, and then I just ended up drying up. It was heartbreaking to me.

This time I am bound and determined to make this work. My new LO will be 3 weeks old on Sunday and I have been BFing right from the start. I have been following the advice from other mom's about drinking lots of water, snacking before BFing, oatmeal...things like that to keep my supply going. Pumping is touch and go... I can only pump when I'm engorged, which is also touch and go.

My biggest problem right now isnt so much my supply (I seem to have enough), but the fact that my DD doesnt seem to get full. A perfect example is this morning... she woke up at 5:30 am to feed and I swear, I fed her off and on until noon. She never really got full. I was told by a friend of mine last night that maybe my milk is watery or something?

What can I do to change this? Will I have to yet again supplement? If that's the case, I will only supplement from time to time because I want so bad to make BFing work.

Advertisement

NaturalMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:56 PM   #2
misshollygolightly
Registered Users
seller

Re: Not Filling Enough? Help!

I'm not sure about your situation, but newborns eat a TON (by which I mean frequently and for long periods of time)--and this is totally normal. So long as your LO is gaining the appropriate weight and wetting enough diapers, I would guess your milk is probably just fine :-) They just like to nurse an awful lot when they're that little, and the frequent feedings do help boost your supply. Do you have a lactation consultant you can talk to for more specific/tailored advice?
misshollygolightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:13 PM   #3
misshollygolightly
Registered Users
seller

Just reread your post and wanted to add that you shouldn't worry if pumping isn't all that successful right now. For one thing, no pump is as effective at emptying the breast as your baby is, so the amt. you pump doesn't really reflect the amt. you produce. For another thing, a three week old is still nursing nearly constantly, so you don't really have a ton of time to make and pump extra milk. Also, as long as you're exclusively breast-feeding (rather than replacing a feeding or two with expressed milk in a bottle), you may not pump more than an ounce or two (or less!) in a session. For the most part, it's not unless you're actually pumping in place of a normal nursing session (for instance, while you're away from your baby at work) that you're likely to get large amounts of milk when pumping. Does that make sense? Not sure I explained it very well! Anyway, ALL of that just to say that it sounds like you are probably doing fine, so long as your LO is gaining weight and wetting dipes. If you want to try some other things, you can always try warm compresses before you pump, drinking Mother's Milk Tea, laying off the caffeine, and eating fenugreek. One of the best things you can do, though, is to go easy on yourself! As the mama of a 3 month old, I can *very* vividly remember how stressful and terrifying those first few weeks of bfing were! I constantly worried about whether or not he was getting enough, and it seemed like he wanted to nurse *constantly*!!! It sounds to me like you are doing just fine and I'm sure some other mamas on here will offer some additional support and encouragement :-)
misshollygolightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:47 PM   #4
NaturalMomof2
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thank you mamas!! I really appreciate it a lot! I guess it's the worrier in me that I am doing something wrong.
NaturalMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:56 PM   #5
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree. It sounds like you are doing just fine. Keep up the great work. I second the Mother's Milk tea. It's made by Traditional Medicinals (sp?). You can get it any health food store and many everyday food stores. Also the fenugreek. Keep up the great work. You are doing wonderfully.

ETA-Your baby may be nursing a ton because of a growth spurt. If so, your new DD is building your milk supply for herself and that's normal too.

Congratulations on your new baby!!!

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 09-12-2008 at 06:58 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:02 PM   #6
saongiri
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just want to reiterate what Heatherlovescds and PP said. Everything your babe is doing is normal. Feed her all she wants -no bottles and keep track of wet dipes - as long as you are getting 6-8 wet dipes in 24 hours you are good. remember too that babies nurse for reasons other thanhunger. they want comfort,closeness and the warmth of their mamas!
Take it easy-you are doing an awesome job!!!
Old 09-12-2008, 07:08 PM   #7
Kristen82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

the other thing you may want to think about is it's totally possible that she's going through her 2 week growth spurt a week late. it always seems like they are nursing 24/7 when they hit those . Good luck mama!

Kristen82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:57 PM   #8
aecryan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ITA with all the pp.

Keep it up mama, you are doing great!
Old 09-12-2008, 11:34 PM   #9
autumnlily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Your baby is doing just what she needs to and so are you! Supply and all!

Don't count on the pump to tell you whether you have enough milk or not... I nurse my twins 100% (which is a huge feat, as I did not have a full supply for my singleton DD) - but, if I pull out the pump... I never get more than 4 to 5 oz total (typically only 3oz). And, I know I have to be making more than 4oz every three hours otherwise my twins would not be gaining weight and excelling like they are. Just don't get discouraged by that pump.

It took until my girls were 6 weeks old before I felt like we might be getting the whole nursing thing down. Now, they are 5.5 months and I'm confident in my ability to feed them.

I hope you feel confident soon and can enjoy your feeding times with your new baby.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:47 PM   #10
MamaToBe84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

for the first 6 weeks maybe (?) all i could do was feed this kid, lol. He would eat, stop. eat. stop. eat. stop. ALL day and night. The constant nursing is laying the groundwork so your supply DOESNT drop. You are NOT starving your baby! This is exactly what she's supposed to do! Supplementing now, could only hurt, not help