Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-15-2008, 05:33 PM   #11
armywife08
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: inside scoop on a birthmommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristy29 View Post
I just wanted to let you know that although you probably feel mature enough to adopt, I think it will be hard for you. All of the agencies I have looked at so far have required that adoptive parents be 25 in order to be entered into their program. I am only 26 and have wanted a child for many years, so I don't agree with this policy, but it is what it is and I just wanted to let you know.
really? sad.

Advertisement

armywife08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:40 PM   #12
kylesmom
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben Christopher View Post
Well since you are volunteering I have loads of questions . First off dh and I will be starting to adoption process next year (spring hopefully!) and I will be 22 and dh will be 29. I am just wondering if that would deter a birthmom. I know I am young but my whole life people have always told me I was far more mature than my age led people to believe. I have a 15 month old and I know I was meant to be a mom. I am just concerned that a birthmom will see that I am only 22 or 23 and think I am to young to be a good mother? Also did the way your bio sons adoptive parents look have anything to do with your choosing them? I should clarify. Dh and I are coucasion (I am sooo white-never tan type of thing) but we are open to any race. I don't know your race but if you are african american would you/did you adopt your bioson to white parents? Or vice versa? I really don't want to offend anyone here bringing this up but I have been wanting to ask someone for quite a while. I have more questions but I have to head to bed and I don't want to scare off our question answerer . Thanks so much for offering to help us out by answering some questions. I think bio parents who are brave enough and care enough to try to do what is best for their child future are amazing and I really appreciate their sacrifice. Thank you.
I was 21 when I adopted my first child, we did not use an agency and our son was placed with us by a girl who lived in our apt building. WE did have to do a home study and the social worker never mentioned the fact that I was young. If you start out as foster parents then you should not have any issues! adn in this day and age they are desperate for foster parents and should not consider your age an issue.
Good luck!
kylesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:57 AM   #13
crystalannski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylesmom View Post
If you start out as foster parents then you should not have any issues! adn in this day and age they are desperate for foster parents and should not consider your age an issue.
Good luck!
I was 22 when we became foster parents!
crystalannski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:21 AM   #14
kristy29
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes as a foster parent they didn't care about my age, but if you are looking to adopt a newborn through private adoption it gets harder. You probably wouldn't be able to go through an agency, you would have to find a way to do the advertising yourself to find a birth mother and then go through an attorney who I am sure wouldn't care how old you are. The upside to doing it that way is that it is cheaper since you only need to pay for the homestudy and the attorney.
kristy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:29 AM   #15
Reuben Christopher
Registered Users
Formerly: unbreakableangel
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylesmom View Post
I was 21 when I adopted my first child, we did not use an agency and our son was placed with us by a girl who lived in our apt building. WE did have to do a home study and the social worker never mentioned the fact that I was young. If you start out as foster parents then you should not have any issues! adn in this day and age they are desperate for foster parents and should not consider your age an issue.
Good luck!
Foster Parenting is something we just aren't interested in. We want a larger family with kids fairly close in age. I also don't have the mentality to be able to care for a child and then have it taken from me and given to someone else. Some people can handle that and those who can are amazing in my books. I'm just not one of those people. I would love to find someone or have someone reffered to us not through an agency and do things that way but we are open to whichever way our next baby finds it's way to us. Wether through an agency or by word of mouth.
ISO/IHA!
Reuben Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:00 PM   #16
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

On the flip side of the age thing, I am 37 and my DH is 28. Would MY age have deterred you from choosing us a birth parents?
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:59 PM   #17
armywife08
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmamatobe View Post
On the flip side of the age thing, I am 37 and my DH is 28. Would MY age have deterred you from choosing us a birth parents?
nope, as long as i felt a tug at my heart, the age really wouldn't have made a difference. just as long as your profile was heartwarming etc, that would not be an issue for me. good luck if you are trying to adopt, though!!! i wish you the best!

Our rainbow baby, James, was born 21April2011 Our survivor twin, Anya was born Dec 2012
Old 09-17-2008, 06:09 PM   #18
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

Thanks! We are TTC now but plan to adopt one or more children. I have been told that once I am over 40 it will be impossible. But we'd like to do a private open adoption.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:52 AM   #19
armywife08
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmamatobe View Post
Thanks! We are TTC now but plan to adopt one or more children. I have been told that once I am over 40 it will be impossible. But we'd like to do a private open adoption.
awesome! open adoptions are great if it's in the child's best interest. let us know what happens!

Our rainbow baby, James, was born 21April2011 Our survivor twin, Anya was born Dec 2012
Old 09-18-2008, 04:29 PM   #20
coateslc
Registered Users

My Mood:

Me and my husband have had a short and sweet adoption story. We have been selected twice in about 5 months. We will have a baby girl in about 2-4 weeks. I have only talked to our birthmother twice. She does not want to have much communication with us. At the hospital- I do not know what to say to her. We have not even met her in person. I am scared that if I say the wrong thing- she won't sign the paper- but if I don't talk she will think I am stuck up. How do I make her feel comfortable talking to us?
coateslc is offline   Reply With Quote