Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-23-2006, 07:19 PM   #1
Jaz_Trio
Registered Users

Oh My God -

I am SICK of hearing this - Aubrey has said it for a while - apparnetly its something that she picked up at her father's and she started saying it here - Well I told her (and HIM for that matter) that I dont like it - she's 7

So she has started TRYING to say "Oh my Gosh" though it's not working - at least not always - and now Zachary's started!

It's driving me NUTS - he's almost 3 but does not "get" why its not ok - he's JUST beginning to talk - and this is something he has started saying that UGH most everyone can understand - almost the only thing others understand - but anyway!

I am not sure what to do - I have tried to talk to Zachary, tried time out's but again he just does not even "get it" I tired ignoring it today and I think I counted he said it like 15 times in one day!

I have talked to Aubrey too - she's sad taht he's saying it now and REALLY trying hard NOT to say it - and has not in days! (this has just become an issue in the last 3 days or so) so she's doing well -

So my question will he just forget it and move on if I ignore it enough? HELP?

Advertisement

Old 10-23-2006, 09:13 PM   #2
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Oh My God -

I typed out a whole thing and then re-thought the issue.

I think Zachary is just saying what he's heard. When everyone in the house stops saying it, and ignores him when he says it, it'll stop. Try it for a month that way and if it doesn't taper off, then try something else.

I think what I'd do (if the month of ignoring it doesn't work) is everytime he said it make some noise/sound or say something loudly that kind of startles him. Like before he can finish the sentance. i.e. Oh my G...ZACHARY! Then he'll kind of associate saying it with a sudden scare/jump and it'll end quick. I mean, not something that actually will SCARE him, or anything, but just like a loud noise sometimes makes you jump a little even if you know it's coming, something like that. KWIM?

But really, I bet ignoring it, and him not hearing it will work just fine!
Old 10-23-2006, 09:26 PM   #3
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Agreed. Another thing that helps is to correct with the right sentence, without making a big deal out of it..Say "Zachery say oh my" Then have him repeat it. And everytime he says it say the right phrase. He doesnt understand. But just like teaching please and thank you..You just say it over and over and over till your head explodes!!
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:15 PM   #4
Jaz_Trio
Registered Users

Well part of the problem is he's not really talking so repeating Oh my goodness sounds like Oh my God...I am going to try to igore it - and see what happends - I dont say it, the only one in the house who does is Aubrey and shes finding it hard to "remember" rules here and rules at her fathers house...they are WAY different!

Thanks guys -