Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-24-2006, 10:54 AM   #1
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ok, seriously...there's got to be something I can do about this.

You know...I LOVe BFing DD. I am so thankful for BFing being relatively simple for me and DD, and I'd keep it up forever if I didn't think it would make her boyfriend uncomfortable to BF her at the dinner table when she's visiting from college
I have to say, though, today I'm really struggling. I need help. I'm at that cusp where I know that if I keep going w/ so little sleep, I'm going to get very sick soon. Help!
DD has never been much of a sleeper. She naps 20 min. tops (except for MIL for whom she takes 1 hr naps of course) and has never slept for more than 5 hrs. at night, after which she wakes every 3 hrs. and must be BF--will not be lulled back to sleep w/o it and eats a full meal ea. time. It seems everyone around me has DC who are 'sleeping thru the night' but I'm focused on DD's needs and just accept that this is who she is. I wake w/ DD for ea. feeding, except on the weekends when DH sleeps next to her and changes her/gives her to me, so it's ALMOST like I get to sleep in (even tho I'm still waking every 3 hrs ) and that satisfies me.
HOWEVER... For the past 3w, DD's not even been sleeping for that 5 hr. stretch. She's up every 2-3 hrs. and over the past 2 days, seems to be BFing forever. Before, I could nurse her and put her half-asleep back into the co-sleeper, not as soon as I try to put her back, she wakes crying and has to be put back to the BB to calm. Sometimes I drift off to sleep, wake up and she's still there sucking!
Last night, for ex. she went to sleep at 8ish, woke at 11 to BF, then again at 1 and 3, at which time she didn't want to come off the BB and stayed there till 5:15 when I finally took her off and put her in the co-sleeper. She was up again at 6 and I had to take her off at 7 because I was going to be late for work (which happens everyday) at which time she was wide-awake.
Going thru the day tired is fine (except on days when I'm in meetings in a dark, silent auditorium (our mtgs. are in ASL, so it's super-quiet) where I'm struggling to stay awake)--but now I'm at the point of dilerium.
In grad school, this was always the point that my immune system would go to crap and I'd get really sick. I see it in my near future if I can't figure out how to help DD sleep longer.
What's going on? Our ped suggested doing 2 daytime solid feedings, which we do. DD eats lots of oatmeal, but has disliked every fruit or veggie that I've introduced (short of bland avocado.) (FWIW, she's eating homemade organic babyfood.)
So...we're doing that and my supply seems ok (I'm still getting out up to 4 oz. during pumping sessions) and am taking fenugreek to try to keep up w/ DD's consumption. I feel like I have nothing left in my BBs, but then leak all over the place while BFing DD at night, so there's for sure something there.
I don't feel any teeth popping yet and DD has no fever. She's putting things in her mouth more, but more because she's just figured out how to do that.
She can't suck her thumb well (just figured out how to get it in her mouth last week, but doesn't suck it) and needs our finger to go back to sleep--but isn't even going for THAT anymore. It MUST be a BB.
I'm not open to FF, so what else can I do? WDYT is going on? Help! I'm SO tired!

Advertisement

Old 10-24-2006, 11:10 AM   #2
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ok, seriously...there's got to be something I can do about this.

my DD wakes every 1.5 hour during the night to eat. COSLEEP if you can. I latch her on and go back to sleep. Sometimes I dont even have to latch her on she does it her self

EDIT TO add What exactly does BB mean?

if you are refering to your supply it could be that she is eating more at night b/c you are gone during the day. Shes making up for lost time w/ mommy kwim?

Last edited by MamaMel; 10-24-2006 at 11:12 AM.
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:18 AM   #3
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DD and I went through that about a month before I had to stop BF. I actually learned to sleep while she was still attached. If you or she has thrush I would ask a doctor or nurse about this, because this is when my thrush got so way out of hand that I couldn't sleep in the end because it was way too painful. As long as you are relaxed and tired enough, you will sleep during some feedings.
I was always worried that I might roll over on her if I slept and I never did. I always knew where she was and I felt a lot more comfortable. It is definatley worth a try.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:29 PM   #4
crydparker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

LOL...my dd would sleep all night with my BB in her mouth! She won't take her nap after I come home from work now unless it is in her mouth. If I pop her off she wakes up and wants it back in her mouth! I figure enjoy it while I can...I let her nurse as long as she wants to. I think of at as her way of letting me know that she missed me all day. We co-sleep and I just put her on and go back to sleep. Sorry you are so tired. It will work itself out. How old is she? It may be a growth spurt.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:39 PM   #5
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I think of at as her way of letting me know that she missed me all day.
That's what I've always thought, too, but that stupid thought keeps creeping into my mind 'What if she does this FOREVER!' Obviously it won't be forever, but is it possible she's learning to depend on this for the next year?!?! Will she not be able to sleep without it?
She's 7.5m now.

(To the PP--'BB' means boob )
Old 10-24-2006, 01:15 PM   #6
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

She can learn to go without it, it just takes time.
We're co-sleeping with ours and I sleep through every feeding. They can't latch themselves on all the time yet, so I latch them on and then pass back out, LOL. Try doing that and see if it helps your being tired. At this point that might be more important and chalk this up to a phase for now?
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:41 PM   #7
keikiko
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS did/does the same thing pre-teething. See if you can nap in the evening and on weekends. That is the only thing we can do! I understand that those nights are just exasperating though because I totally know where you are. I just got over a nasty cold and I know it's just b/c I'm exhausted. Hang in there they can't do it forever! =)

Last edited by keikiko; 10-24-2006 at 01:53 PM.
keikiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:57 PM   #8
betty_joanne
Registered Users
seller
seller

My dd is almost 13 months and still nurses 3 times a night. She goes to be at 9:00-9:30 wakes up around 12:30-1am for a feeding, wakes up again at around 3:30-4am, wakes up again at around 6 ish, and then we start our morning with a feeding at 9:30-10:30. I do find that if i nurse dd in the bed while laying down she is much more drowsie at the end of a feeding and will go back to sleep without so much as a peep.
There was about a 3 month period where my dd would sleep 6-8 hours without sleeping but that is long gone.
My doctor tells me that dd should be sleeping through the night but if you ask here a lot of babies are not so you are sooooo not alone on this.
Oh, and don't worry about the boyfriend being uncomfortable with seeing you breast feeding. Just use a blanket if you are worried. I am sure he has seen boobs before so it shouldn't even be a big deal.
I applaud you for going to school/work during this time but remember that your body is trying to get back on track. Drink lots of water, eat well, and take a multi-vitamin. Also, pump so that your husband can feed(just be sure to put a no breastmilk sign on the microwave).
I hope things get easier for you.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:00 PM   #9
singlemomto3
Registered Users
seller

Maybe try a paci once shes done eating but just wants the boob in her mouth. At about that age or so, i felt like i was going crazy and tried the paci. Now when he falls to sleep good. I just roll him over and he stays asleep. One of the biggest reasons he wanted to suck all nite back then was his ears had fluid in them and they hurt when laying down. Maybe get her ears checked too.
singlemomto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:12 PM   #10
kingdink
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by betty_joanne View Post
My doctor tells me that dd should be sleeping through the night but if you ask here a lot of babies are not so you are sooooo not alone on this.
There IS a reason for this, though. In many places in the world, families all sleep together in one room, either co-sleeping or in different spots in the same room. Babies aren't seperated from their parents and are allowed to eat all night, so they do. In our culture babies are put in different rooms frequently, so there is a seperation there. The babies are allowed to soothe themselves through whining, wiggling or with a bit (or a lot) of crying. Babies of a certain physical maturity are capable of sleeping all night without eating if we let or force them, but that is practically impossible with a baby sleeping right next to you or if you go to them every time they cry. Am I saying it is wrong to go to them when they cry? heck, no. But that's just how it works.

I would suggest The No-Cry Sleep Solution. It takes longer to work than CIO techniques, but it won't make your heart hurt from hearing your baby crying for you, either.

JoJee Creations Custom pencil portraits and knitted goods
kingdink is offline   Reply With Quote