Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-09-2007, 12:33 PM   #1
bonniec_tn
Registered Users

Umbilical Cord Stump Help.

Hey Guys,
My little one is 5 weeks old now and he still has his umbilical stump. I have been using alcohol on it 4 times a day and it does seem to look a little closer to coming off now. The problem is his pediatrician wants to remove it. I am just not sure that I want him to cut on my little guys belly button. Wont it come off on its own? Surely theres someone out there whose kiddos have had a stump longer than this. I really dont want this done but my DH thinks we should.
Anybody have any ideas other than alcohol and air?? He has an appt thursday and I want it off by then so we dont have to go.
Thanks In Advance!

Advertisement

Old 10-09-2007, 12:36 PM   #2
MamaF
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Umbilical Cord Stump Help.

our Dr. told us not to use alchol b/c it actually makes it stay on longer...
DD's was off by 1wk and DS was off by 2wks..

We were told not to use anything on it at all and to try not to wash it or around and it and always keep it as dry as possible...

sorry hope someone else whose was on longer has some advice for you.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:37 PM   #3
cwieberdink
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hate the whole alcohol thing. See, the normal process for an umbilical stump to fall off is by dry gangrene. When you put alcohol on it all the time, it interrupts that bacterial process and acts as a preservative. Leaving the cord pulse at birth until it is thin and there isn't any blood in it, plus LEAVING IT ALONE, usually works for the cord to fall off by about day 5. If the cord is still intact at five weeks, ask your ped to use Silver Nitrate on a stick to cauterize it and cause it to fall off.
cwieberdink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:45 PM   #4
mamapickle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You're going to think this sounds crazy...

We were faced with using silver nitrate on our baby's cord b/c it wasn't healing, even after leaving it alone, it kept oozing and bleeding. Most of it fell off, but a small part remained...i just looked it up, and it's called umbilical granuloma (not sure if this is what you're dealing with or not). We heard about a treatment involving plain table salt...you leave it on for a few minutes, wash it off, and repeat a few times over the next couple of days. We checked with our doctor (family phys) before doing it, and she told us it sounded harmless. After one day of the salt treatment, the difference was amazing. After three days, the small remaining part was gone. Our doctor was amazed, and said it looked better than a silver nitrate job, and said she would recommend it from now on, as she doesn't like the potential burns involved with silver nitrate anyway.

Here's a site that describes the process:http://www.bristolnorthpct.nhs.uk/pu...%20leaflet.pdf

Good luck mama!

Last edited by mamapickle; 10-09-2007 at 12:51 PM. Reason: added website
mamapickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 01:17 PM   #5
bonniec_tn
Registered Users

I dont think it is a granuloma, it is just hanging on a little longer than normal. I think I will stop using alcohol on it and see how it does.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:35 PM   #6
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My younger Ds cord didn't come off till 6 weeks. We stopped using the alcohol around 4 weeks mainly cause I used to forget to put it on. It finally came off just after the 6 week visit. The ped said it should be off pretty soon when he looked at it, and I found it in his jammies a few days later. He never even suggested removing it or using silver nitrate.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:12 PM   #7
ilovemyboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With my first son his cord took about 3 weeks to come off b/c they told us to use alcohol, with my second it took about 10 days doing nothing, I agree with the other mamas, the nurse at the hospital said doing nothing is the best-good luck
Chelsea the wife of the best husband in the world Jarrett, and mama to 3 precious boys-Peyton 9 years, Conner 7 years, Trek-our angel who we only had 14 beautiful months with, and our girl-Vesper 3 months old
ilovemyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:36 AM   #8
lisad1
Registered Users

Our midwives gave us a bunch of herbs to make a bath with - it was for mama and baby to soak in a few times immediately after the birth and was intended to help with healing the cord and my stitches. DDs cord fell off after 2 days and 2 baths. We just patted it dry after baths and didn't do anything else to care for it. I still have the recipe but I'd have to wake dh to find it right now.... Anyway, I'm not sure if it was the soaking or the herbs that sped up the process. I can find the recipe in the morning if you are interested
lisad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:42 AM   #9
Serendipitous Creationz
Registered Users
Formerly: ****mom
seller

My Mood:

I didnt use anything on Ava's and within 4 days most of it was off and it was 100% gone by a week old. I would definately reccomend against using the alcohol.
Serendipitous Creationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:53 AM   #10
lissa~K
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My babe's stayed on a really long time too I think because I messed with it he midwives told me to leave it alone, but I chickened out when it started to smell and used hydrogen peroxide and alcohol. I stayed on for a really long time and then he had a granuloma. The silver nitrate was really no big deal at all, and it was finally able to heal after that. He had no burns or anything from it and he didn't seem to be in any pain.