Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-17-2006, 12:37 PM   #1
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:
Feeling Guilty...

Okay, so I recently weaned my DD after breastfeeding until she was 15 months old. When I was pregnant and while she was an infant my plan was to stop when she was a year, but she definitley wasnt ready to wean at 1 so I let it go and decided on a few months longer for her sake, and mine, I wasnt ready to wean her really.
Well, when she was 15 mo. I wound up preggy and nursing was just IRRITATING to me at that point. She was only nursing before bed and and through the night for comfort at this point and very rarely during the day since I gave her a sippy of cows milk.
I ended up weaning her because of the uncomfortable-ness on my part and she did well. About 2 weeks later I lost the baby and DD was totally 150% weaned and totally forgot about the boob. She has no interest in nursing since then. She doesnt try to lift my shirt which she was doing when she wanted to nurse during the night.
Well, now here it is a month later and she is still fine but Im feeling so guilty especially for weaning her for such a selfish reason. I mean, I'm glad that I nursed her as long as I did....but I dunno Im just feeling really bad about it

Advertisement

Old 10-17-2006, 12:42 PM   #2
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:
Re: Feeling Guilty...

Jena! I'm sorry youre feeling guilty. I did after I weaned my son.
But...
You did great! She'll always have that great start no matter what! I think
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 12:54 PM   #3
Shawna_L
Banned

Fifteen months is AMAZING! Be proud of that accomplishment!

I don't know you, but it sounds like you're being hard on yourself and dealing with some tough things in your life as a momma. Woulda, coulda, shoulda doesn't usually help matters...for me at least. Your DD sounds like she is thriving and one of the top reasons for that? YOU!
Shawna_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 12:54 PM   #4
aschrimp
Registered Users

My ds is only 13 mos old and not weaned yet, and I don't know for sure when we will, but your dd nursed for probably almost a full year longer than most nursing babies in the US, and 3 months longer than you'd even intended originally. You did great!

Andrea - Mama to Lexy (9/7/05) & Serenity (3/14/09)! My Feedback: DS EBay
aschrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 01:12 PM   #5
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Thanks Ladies, it really helps to read these comments!
Old 10-17-2006, 01:22 PM   #6
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

you rock mama for doing it this long. Im in the same exact boat as you. I gently helped wean my son around 16 months when I found out I was preggos. Now I feel guilty. PM me if you need to talk
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:54 PM   #7
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, be proud! I let my first wean at 12mo while pg with #2 (halfway through) and still wish I had kept it up with him (I stopped offering and he didn't really complain). I also kind of wish I had kept it up with my 3rd who weaned at about 19-20mo while I was pg with number 4 (also halfway through, my milk tends to dry up at that point), but no biggie since he was so close to two. Part of why I think I feel that way is because I had such a hard time nursing number two (supply problems early on that led to weaning at 9-10mo) - I like to get the most out of my successes I guess.

15mo is so AWESOME! Just think of how great that is! So many babies get weaned before a year, and you stuck with it BEYOND! Way to go momma!!
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:44 PM   #8
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

you did what was best for you at the time. you can't do more than that. you gave her a great gift- 15 months is an awesome accomplishment, one that most babies don't get. be proud of that.

im sorry for your loss.
titania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:53 PM   #9
ThatCaliGirl
Registered Users

I'm sorry to hear about your loss Jena! Don't feel guilty! I WISH I could have at least nursed a year. When I went back to work we had to start giving Gabe a bottle and he weaned himself compleatly by 6 months. You did a great job! Hugs!
ThatCaliGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 08:00 PM   #10
ashleynjacy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That is a great amount of time, great job!