Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-19-2008, 06:49 AM   #1
SewGreenBaby
Registered Users
Formerly: Naturally Pampered
seller
seller

My Mood:
question for co-sleepers

My dh works out of state, so it's just me and ds in bed. I need a way to keep him in bed. He is a very active 6 month old. I don't want to use a bed rail because I know he would wedge himself into it, same thing with putting the bed against the wall. He will push and squirm and roll his way into crazy positions. I'm sure he would roll right over a pool noodle. I'm think of putting a twin mattress on the floor next to the bed, but dh says it'll still hurt him to fall onto it. I'm just worried he might fall the wrong way, land on his neck or something. Any advice/ideas are greatly appreciated!

Advertisement

SewGreenBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:57 AM   #2
ForCryingOutLoud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: question for co-sleepers

My DH wasn't home a couple weeks ago, I have this huge body pillow that I laid on his side of the bed wedged with DH's pillows and a blanket so it would stay put. My DD rolls around all night (ends up sleeping side ways) and she couldn't move it.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:43 AM   #3
mommyof3monsters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you are REALLY concerned , make sure your bed is as LOW to the floor as possible , then I'd go ahead and stick a twin right next to it so it'll minimize the fall .......

For a few motnhs when we were staying with my evil FIL - ds had learned to get out of the pack n play so we took the bed apart , took it down to just the matress , had that on the floor , then had the twin that dd was using stuck it on the floor right next to it and holy cow we had a room of bed ( a king + a twin = enough room for 4 people!)
mommyof3monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:45 AM   #4
tarah1218
Registered Users
seller

Are you worried about him crawling off the bed? If so how about a pack and play next to the bed? You can lay with him until he is asleep and than put him into it and when you come back to bed later on in the night you can bring him back into bed with you. We have the safety 1st bed rail that locks down onto your bed, not just lock to the side, if that makes sense and my son never gets stuck against it and he sleep right next to it. If it is only us I tend to use a body pillow like the pp and use the little lip of the pack and play that sticks up over our mattress to wedge the pillow in between. I tend to wake up before he is fully awake anyways.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:06 AM   #5
sahm108
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***la
seller

My Mood:

I guess I'm lucky to have 2 kids that sleep like rocks.

We moved our mattress to the floor. Then in the unlikely event that DS should fall out, it wouldn't be far. But he sleeps snugly in the crook of my arm.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:59 PM   #6
TofuScramble
Registered Users
Formerly: DesertMomma

My Mood:

In the past I've done both- either having my mattress on the floor, so the fall wouldn't be much at all, and I've also had a mattress on the floor next to my bed. I think thats about all you could do if you dont want to use a rail or anything.
TofuScramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:24 PM   #7
jess&claire
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we tought DD to get off the bed the right way, feet first. then when that was not going to gracfully i took the mattess right too the floor and out her matteress next to ours. works great and she sleeps so much better and it funny b/c at night she gets up nurses and then gets back in her bed.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:42 PM   #8
bellamama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess&claire View Post
we tought DD to get off the bed the right way, feet first. then when that was not going to gracfully i took the mattess right too the floor and out her matteress next to ours. works great and she sleeps so much better and it funny b/c at night she gets up nurses and then gets back in her bed.
We taught both girls to get off the bed by themselves. It did not fix the rolling problem we had. She was already around 9-10 months so I put a pillow by the edge of the bed or a few down on the floor. If DH is home I wont bring her in at all. Not enough room and we had a couple of early morning scares. I would wake up as soon as she was about to go over the edge. I never had any trouble with bella
Old 09-19-2008, 07:02 PM   #9
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Could you put the bed against the wall or something and have the baby sleep on that side?
Old 09-19-2008, 07:09 PM   #10
cedricsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The safest thing is to put him in his own bed. That was what we did with our son at the same age. He needed his space as well. I guess he moved so much because he wasn't comfortable for him any more. I had a harder time than him, he didn't mind at all.