Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-20-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
midominga
Registered Users
seller

"Boy you got your hands full" vent/?

I really hate when people say that to me and I have at least 5 people tell me that per store I go to or other stupid comments. But I was wondering what you'd say to it. I normally smile and shrug it off. My DH and I were out and a lady with 1 baby came up to us and said the same thing I smiled shruged it off DH not so much but we went shopping and ran back into her and her baby was misbehaving very much I felt bad for her but DH walked up to her and said gezz you really got your hands full huh? Which I think was rather rude. I mean yes my kids were being good in the store but sometimes they are everywhere you know so I don't think I would have liked someone coming up to me saying that not like I'd ever walk up to a stranger and tell her she has her hands full because what if she enjoys all her kids and doesn't veiw it as having her hands full. I've had people say a lot worse when my kids were really bad but I felt sorry for her she's a FTM with a 1yo as soon as they learn to walk they want to be everywhere. But why can't people let me be. Yes I chose to have 3 kids no I am not going to stop no I don't want a girl I just want a healthy baby. Why would I fix something thats not broken?
I'm sorry you feel everyone should only have 1 child because you have your hands full at 1 but I don't have the same opinion so please keep your comments to yourself.
I try not to talk to strangers so why do they feel the need to tell me I have too many kids hands full I need to get fixed and on and on we go.

My kids are my life I would never change them and I would never "fix" myself so I couldn't have kids because its all in gods hands if god wants to give me more kids so be it if god wants me to go through a m/c he must have a better plan for that baby or me, if god wants to give me more babies they will always be a blessing not a burden.

Thank you for listening to my ramble.

Now please I'd like to hear the stupid comments that come out of others mouth to you. Not just talking about size of family or spacing but anything from CDing to green people to fc or whatever rude comments you get about the way you live your life.

Advertisement

Old 09-20-2008, 03:46 PM   #2
marymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: "Boy you got your hands full" vent/?

i think i'm the only person on DS that this comment doesn't bother.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
StayAtHomeMama
Registered Users
seller

lol I always get the hand's full comment with only 2 kids. Normally it's when I have one in a MT on my back and the other either in a second MT or a cart. I just half smile because they don't know how stupid they sound.
I also get how hard it must be for me to cloth diaper, how hard it must be to make ends meet because I'm a SAHM, etc. I just laugh inside because it's hard for me to understand how stupid people are.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:58 PM   #4
Riverdavidsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's funny I've said that before but I never mean it in a negative way, more of a "you're my hero" way. I struggle with one and I'm always in awe of mamas who have more and make it work. I'll watch my tongue from now on though.

But maybe remember that people aren't saying, "you're crazy and your kids are out of control." They're just making conversation and acknowledging that you've got lots of kids. And I don't care what you say - kids are hard work. One or 10.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:58 PM   #5
huntingflower
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marymom View Post
I think i'm the only person on DS that this comment doesn't bother.
Not the only one. It doesn't bother me either because honestly sometimes children ARE a handful and yes people make comments all the time. About EVERYTHING! I've had people follow me out of stores asking me if my hair colour was natural. That my baby was a big boy, that my daughter is beautiful. You are what? Cloth diapers? Are you crazy?.. just comments and questions. I honestly do not think it is a big deal.

Unless someone is being blatantly rude then yes I imagine you can get upset but sometimes people are just curious. Perhaps that mom was having a rough go of it and seen you with what you have and though wow if I am having a hard time she must be too so she commented on it. I think your DH was very rude to say that to her. It makes me question why people take offense to comments that are not meant to be rude, just curious and making an observation?

And to be perfectly honest if I seen someone with 10 kids following them I'd probably think holy crap how do you afford all those kids? No it isn't any of my business but hey I would still think it. BUT I wouldn't be rude to the person and tell them they should be "fixed".

huntingflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:20 PM   #6
sahm108
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***la
seller

My Mood:

I used to get that with just DD. Some people just say things without really knowing what they're saying or how it makes other people feel. I usually say something like "I wouldn't have it any other way!"
Old 09-20-2008, 04:24 PM   #7
bama
Registered Users
seller

I make that comment just as a way to talk to people about their kids. Not in a "OMG YOU HAVE SOOO MANY KIDS" kinda way."
bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:26 PM   #8
aecryan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2lyela View Post
"I wouldn't have it any other way!"
This is exactly what I say with a huge smile on my face! The comment doesn't really bother me either, unless my kids are misbehaving... then I feel it might be a bit of an insult rather than a mere observation.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:35 PM   #9
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marymom View Post
i think i'm the only person on DS that this comment doesn't bother.
It doesn't bother me, either. It's true; I do have my hands full. But I sure do have fun with them and I love them to bits!
Old 09-20-2008, 04:41 PM   #10
noobster
Registered Users

i think the random commenter people just love the sound of their own voices and say whatever diarrhea comes out their mouths. i dont really like unsolicited comments either. i dont mind the "hands full" one though i have never experienced that, having one kid.

i dont like comments because it interferes with what i am doing. if i am running an errand i have specific things i want to do. i dont want to be bothered or talked to. i want to focus and just get it done.

if it were me and someone said that to me i would look at them incredulously and say "what makes you say that?" and then when they looked for an answer just act like they are morons.
noobster is offline   Reply With Quote