Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-14-2008, 01:44 PM   #1
frenchie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Angry In 5 years, I have never....

...been SO insulted by another parent!!
This morning we took the kids to breakfast at Ruby's Diner. It's family restaurant, for those of you that don't know. It's always LOUD and chaotic. It's not the place you go for a quiet, intimate meal.
DH had ordered a meal, and it was prepared wrong. While he was waiting for his other meal, we all had finished ours. DD, who is 17 months, had a full belly, and she was tired. She began squealing, with the first outburst being a LOUD shrill squeal. I put my hand over her mouth, and told her that she was being too loud. She continued with smaller outburst, and each time I reacted the same way I did the first time. What else could I do to quuiet her? While we were STILL waiting for DH's food, this woman walks up to us, and says this right to my husband,"WHY do you let your child screech and screech and screech?" My husband responded "Excuse me? Are you serious?" She said. "Yes, WHY do you let her screech like that, over and over, and do NOTHING about it?" At that point, my husband started to say something back, and put my hand up, and told him to stop. I knew he was about to lay into her. I looked at her and said "We don't need your parenting advice lady, you need to leave this table." She looked at me, and began to argue, telling me that we needed her advice. I couldn't believe the NERVE this woman had!!! She went on to tell us that we needed to discipline our misbehaved child, and that we were bad parents. Them were fightin' words. When she said that, my milk let down. I had to be a good example for my son, so I just looked at her, with a stern face, and said "I DON'T need your parenting advice, YOU need to leave this table now!!!" She turned around, told me "YES, you do...yes you do" As she walked off with her two young kids, that, BTW, she left at the table by themselves, while she came over to the other end of the restaurant to reprimand US!!!
In all 5 years that I've been a parent, I've NEVER had an experience like this...NEVER!! I've been in situations where I thought that the parent should have a little more control over their kid, but I REALIZE that I don't know their situation. I would NEVER feel the need to tell a COMPLETE stranger not only HOW to parent, but that they were a BAD parent...WTF???

Advertisement

Old 09-14-2008, 01:48 PM   #2
lawgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: In 5 years, I have never....

Talk about a parenting drive-by. That was rude and uncalled for. As a parent, she *should* know that even well-behaved children have their moments and sometimes you just do the best you can.
lawgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:49 PM   #3
Ashleybelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That is so crazy!
Old 09-14-2008, 01:52 PM   #4
avidreader
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

so sorry this happened to you- it's awful how she thought she had the right to talk to you like that- especially in front of your kiddos! Kudos for being a good example to your son and to you. Hopefully your reaction will make her think twice about ever offering unsolicited parenting advice to random people as she needs to know it is not welcomed!!
Old 09-14-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
tmfletch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OMG!!! The nerve!!

You handled it much better than I would have!
tmfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:53 PM   #6
RebekahG77
Registered Users
seller

how annoying!!
RebekahG77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:53 PM   #7
addiesmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would have had a hard time not punching her. Just being honest....
Old 09-14-2008, 01:53 PM   #8
rainydaybaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

to you. That is ridiculous. Nice job keeping your cool and being a good example.

Sometimes. . .
Old 09-14-2008, 01:54 PM   #9
Nikkis_Little_Ladies
Registered Users
Formerly: Nikk25_3
seller

My Mood:

I wiould have looked at her and said " I hope that is someone you know running out the front door with your two kids, WHOM YOU LEFT UNATTENDED!!"

That would have set her streight.

Sorry you had to deal with that ****.
Nikkis_Little_Ladies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:55 PM   #10
kat_henna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok, if your kids were throwing food at her table or running around triping the waiters I STILL would not have said anything.

She has got some BIG ones to come over to your table for a little noise! Are you kidding me. to you for keeping your cool and not throwing her across the table!

ss mama