Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-20-2008, 05:08 PM   #11
raindrop_333
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: You know those comments you get when you're out in public...?

Strange comment. You SHOULDN'T have big babies? I'm not big by any means and my son was 9lbs 10oz at birth. I get the whole 'wow, he was a big baby!' but nothing insulting in the slightest. I don't know how I'd react to it.

Advertisement

raindrop_333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 05:16 PM   #12
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

turn it around & look at it positively. Most women would love to be called small at 10weeks pp.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:22 PM   #13
Jenney17
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother Lover View Post
DS who didn't start walking until 14 mos...wasn't really light, although he hasn't gained weight since he started walking, but he was 21 lbs at this time.
I always always allllways was being asked "don't you get tired of holding him??"
Gee well, should I put him down and leave him here?
Some peoples kids.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:28 PM   #14
Beebug123
Registered Users

A few months ago I was at a card store and the lady who worked there came up to DD in the stroller and said to her, "You certainly aren't mal-nourshished, are you?" She must have seen the look of shock on my face because she immediatly changed her tone and started cooing about how she was the cutest chubby baby she had ever seen. It still makes me mad to think about!
Old 09-20-2008, 10:46 PM   #15
Samandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can't really relate to the comments, I usually get people guessing a much younger age cause my babies are so small (I feed them a lot, I really do!) My mom has had 9 babies ranging from 7lb to almost 10 lbs and she said the all felt the same.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:23 AM   #16
MommaBunny
10% of Profits Donated to Wildlife
seller

My Mood:

Eulgh, people make me mad. I had a similar thing happen to me. A woman commented to me that my DD has a big head. I smiled and said that she does, she's 90th percentile for head circumference. The woman said, "I'll bet that hurt really bad!"

...Well, yeah, sure, it did... But that's such a personal thing to comment on, you know? Especially because, for all she knew, I could have had a C-section. Or she could have been adopted.

I don't want somebody who I don't know talking to me about the graphic details about what it felt like when she came out of my yoni....
Old 09-21-2008, 04:47 AM   #17
Jessi621
Registered Users
seller
seller

That is a strange comment, like you did something wrong. Shame on you for having a big baby.
I get a lot of comments too, but most are in awe. I'm pretty petite, 5'2" 115lbs and my 3 month old is 20lbs. So people see me holding him and they're like "Wow! He came out of you?!" It's almost like they don't stop long enough to think that he wasn't 20lbs at birth. Goodness, he was only 7lbs then, I just have really fast growers, my dd was the same way.
Proud Army wife and sahm to The Chickie 2/26/05, The Monkey 6/13/08 and The Little Miss 8/15/10 Due in Aug with #4
Jessi621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:43 AM   #18
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

I get the exact opposite. My second and third daughters were 5lbs 3oz and 4lbs 12oz at birth respectively at 34 and 33 weeks and I always used to get, "she's so tiny! what's wrong with her????" You get real quick to say, "there's nothing wrong with her, she's absolutely perfect" and then walk away fast. Don't listen to people. They have no idea. Big or small, your children are all perfect. My girls started small, got huge really fast, and then they thin out and fall off the charts once they hit 2years. My 8 year old is 48lbs and my 3 1/2 year old is 34lbs. NOT big kids. But my 8 1/2 month old is 20lbs. The general public sucks. Don't listen to the comments.

oh yeah and if you want to shock people, use the word vagina. Work it into the conversation about your birth. People become very uncomfortable with real words for body parts.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:56 AM   #19
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by faerybugmady View Post

oh yeah and if you want to shock people, use the word vagina. Work it into the conversation about your birth. People become very uncomfortable with real words for body parts.
How true this is!
FancifulFanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:39 AM   #20
jpicasso
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by faerybugmady View Post
I get the exact opposite. My second and third daughters were 5lbs 3oz and 4lbs 12oz at birth respectively at 34 and 33 weeks and I always used to get, "she's so tiny! what's wrong with her????" You get real quick to say, "there's nothing wrong with her, she's absolutely perfect" and then walk away fast. Don't listen to people. They have no idea. Big or small, your children are all perfect. My girls started small, got huge really fast, and then they thin out and fall off the charts once they hit 2years. My 8 year old is 48lbs and my 3 1/2 year old is 34lbs. NOT big kids. But my 8 1/2 month old is 20lbs. The general public sucks. Don't listen to the comments.

I was at Joann Fabrics with DS about 2 weeks ago and an older lady kept staring at him. Finally she asked me how old he was and I told her 8 weeks. She said, "ooooh, don't take offense to this because I truly don't mean any, but I he's so big I thought he was older and that something was wrong with him because he couldn't hold his head up very well."

At least she stopped to think about what she said before she said it. We then went on to have a really nice conversation while we waited in the cut line that was 20 people long.