Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-18-2008, 12:51 PM   #1
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:
What could this be?? dumb questions I know!! sorry!

I'm in the process of weaning DS from his SNS supplemental formula intact. On Tuesday he had one ounce less for the whole day [making it 13 oz, instead of 14.] The next day he had only 7 ounces total and today he's only had one ounce. I've basically been nursing around the clock. Yesterday and today it's been about every 1/2 to one hour otherwise he is fussy.

Just a bit ago he had that ounce supplement in the SNS and he kept nursing and then got fussy fussy fussy after a few minutes, wanting to suck, but not if that makes sense...
So I burped and such for a few moments to see if it was gas.
I thought maybe he had really emptied me so I squeezed and the milk is squirting out.
Could it be that he was actually full and just wanting to suck but not get the milk? Is that a let down? [I ask because I never feel my let downs. Every now and then I get a quick shooting pain through my breast a few moments after he nurses but that's about it.]

Thanks in advance mamas!

Advertisement

Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:57 PM   #2
rawheid
Registered Users
seller

Re: What could this be?? dumb questions I know!! sorry!

sorry I'm no help as I haven't supplimented. Im sure that someone will be able to help you.
Join me on Swagbucks

rawheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:14 AM   #3
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

bump...anyone Still is getting fussy from time to time on the breast but the milk squirts out whrn I squeeze so there is milk.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
Heather81
Registered Users

My Mood:

Is it maybe coming out to fast for him?

It's possible he wants to suck but no longer wants milk. He may want to use you as a pacifier. Meaning he's comfort sucking.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:48 PM   #5
Terra
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather81 View Post
Is it maybe coming out to fast for him?

It's possible he wants to suck but no longer wants milk. He may want to use you as a pacifier. Meaning he's comfort sucking.
This is what I'm thinking as well, except he doesn't care for the paci at all. I think he does want to suck, but only on the real thing with no milk coming out sometimes! Talk about your picky baby!! LOL...

I do wonder if it is coming out too fast for him? I've never really had that problem before, but now that I'm nursing A LOT...like every hour to beef up supply even more maybe it is flowing faster since there is more.

How are you doing by the way mama??
Old 09-20-2008, 01:45 PM   #6
amitchell98
Registered Users
seller

We used the SNS as well off and on for about 2.5 weeks. We didn't have to wean him per say though. So I'm not sure I can be of much help, but I'll try!

It could also be that you weren't making quite enough milk, with the supplement happening at the same time. So he may just be beefing up your supply. And did you do the SNS against your skin, or through a shield? Just curious as we did it under the lip of a nipple shield. My son is still using the shield and I think he has to nurse more often (every 1/2 hr. to an hr.) when he's awake because he doesn't continuously suck. He drinks for a bit, then does this little fake suck where he doesn't get any milk. Then a half hour later he's starving again!

So it could just be that he isn't drinking a sufficient amount when he nurses and this is why he's nursing so often, or that he is increasing your supply. Those are always a long couple of days

Good luck Mama!
Old 09-21-2008, 02:59 PM   #7
Emmaleigh3699
Registered Users
seller

My daughter isn't supplemented but she acts like that a lot. She wants the nipple, not the milk. It took a while, but I found a paci that works for her and that she's satisfied with. She still wants to lay against my breast though. Babies are complicated.
Emmaleigh3699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:48 PM   #8
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

first~~

for getting so close to your goal of weaning off the sns!!! go you!!

second, if you think he is just wanting to suck, that's probably what it is. you can try nursing with him sort of lying on you so the flow of milk isn't so fast to see if that makes any difference. but im willing to bet if your mama instinct is telling you its the need to suck, that's what's going on.

again, congrats. really awesome.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:05 PM   #9
miclyn03
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My daughter did the same thing and I finally figured out that she didnt want the milk and I kept trying to give it to her. When I finally tried just giving her a pacifier or comforting her in other ways she was fine.
miclyn03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:23 AM   #10
Terra
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by titania View Post
first~~

for getting so close to your goal of weaning off the sns!!! go you!!

second, if you think he is just wanting to suck, that's probably what it is. you can try nursing with him sort of lying on you so the flow of milk isn't so fast to see if that makes any difference. but im willing to bet if your mama instinct is telling you its the need to suck, that's what's going on.

again, congrats. really awesome.
Thank you for the encouragement. I sure need it!! Some days are better than others with it. Yesterday he was just starving all day long. But still only took about 8 oz total of supplement.

I know I have to be careful because sometimes his wet dipes go down if I cut it out too much.

He does like the soothie paci and I can get him to take it sometimes if I hold him close to my breast. He does like to use me as a pillow
Generally he just likes to be close so I wear him a lot too. It's hard when I'm cooking hot food though. I won't wear him then. I can't wait until his neck muscles are stronger so I can put him on my back.