Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-21-2008, 09:13 PM   #11
momto3g4b
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Feeding Tubes

My son got a g-tube at 17 months old. He had fallen from the 75th to the
10th percentile for weight over the course of 4 months because he started having trouble eating & frequent vomiting episodes after his first brain surgery (for chiari malformation).

In addition to weight loss, a red flag for needing a g-tube is if your child isn't making developmental progress. I'll be honest & say I don't know how that works for kids with CP, but for my son, when his development had pretty much stalled, the gastroenterologist said it was time to put in the tube because there was concern that Joshua's brain wasn't getting "fed" properly.

I'd recommend talking with your daughter's gastroenterologist about your concerns. Good luck!

Advertisement

momto3g4b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:37 PM   #12
kaydonette
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Feeding Tubes (No Feeding tube!!!!)

We went to the doc today and Catie does not need a feeding tube yet!!!!! Catie's developmental ped thinks we just need to revamp her diet, So we are going to see a nutritionist. We will also be adding a scoop of formula to her pediasure to add calories.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:51 PM   #13
dreamingkristin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly Designs View Post
Were dealing with this now too...im pretty sure at our next GI appt they are going to talk about a feeding tube...dd is below the 3rd percentlie and keeps not gaining...SHe has EE though and mulitple food allergies. She takes Neocate jr formula (supposed to be at least 30 oz a good day is 25oz) some rice, apples, pears, potatoes and chicken..She cannot eat enough to actually sustain her right now and she keeps loosing. Im actually at peace with the Tube option as i have done everything i can possibly do for the last 10 months to get her to gain. But i cannot force the formula or food. Good luck no matter if you do or do not get one!

I was just wondering what was up with your DD?? Mine also has EE and its not a very common thing... You get a lot more Neocate into your DD then I can manage with mine.. she was drinking about 6-8 oz on a good day but has more foods than yours.. but she doens't really eat much at all or drink much either... we jsut got fininished with a 3 month trial of an NG tube and it really did wonders - she gained 3 1/2 lbs in 3 months... more than she gained in the past year almost! But now that we don't have it we are pretty much right back to where she was.. she is eating more.. but still not enough.. and refuses any of the formulas...
Just looking to connect ot another momma who understands!
Old 04-16-2009, 06:07 AM   #14
indysteffanie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we had ours placed a month ago (anderson is 15 months today)

he weighed 17lbs at 12 months (january) but only gained about 6 lbs the 8 months prior to that.

he now has had the button for about a month, and weights almost 19lbs.

Steffanie: momma to Brennan(13) Dillon (7) with cf , Ashlyn (6) , TJ (4) and Anderson(1) , born at 29 weeks
indysteffanie is offline   Reply With Quote