View Poll Results: How long should breastfeeding be mandatory?
1 Nursing 37 13.07%
3 Days (hospital stay) 61 21.55%
1 Week 8 2.83%
1 Month 17 6.01%
6 weeks 48 16.96%
6 months 33 11.66%
1 year 79 27.92%
Voters: 283. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-23-2008, 07:05 AM   #1
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:
Controversial question inside (for my paper). Mandatory breastfeeding period?

So, my thesis statement was rejected by my professor because it wasn't right for a persuasive paper. She suggested I change it to something like "All women should be REQUIRED to breastfeed for xxx time because it is beneficial to the woman, child, and society".

Therein lies the problem. I DON'T think it should be mandatory for any period of time.

But I need to take that position since my paper is half written and it will be easy to change to accomodate the thesis change.

So I ask you this. If breastfeeding were to be mandatory (and please remember that I don't think it should be!), how long should it be mandatory for?

1 nursing? 3 days? weeks? months? How do you decide?

Thank you ladies and PLEASE no trainwreck here

edit: I am going with one nursing. While I certainly believe that women should do more, I just can't argue to make it mandatory. Thank you for all of your comments and helpful ideas

Advertisement

Last edited by MotherMoonPads; 09-23-2008 at 08:40 AM.
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:11 AM   #2
myakylemom
Registered Users
seller

Re: Controversial question inside (for my paper). Mandatory breastfeeding period?

Hmm. 3-4 weeks since a lot of women have to go back to work. So they will need time to get baby used to bottles and maybe formula, since some women can't pump enough to sustain baby. hth

ISO: CHEAP wool sweaters or sweater parts
myakylemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:12 AM   #3
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Controversial question inside (for my paper). Mandatory breastfeeding period?

well, you certainly will learn the fine art of writing a persuasive paper, mama!
FancifulFanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:14 AM   #4
FairyBeautifulMama
Registered Users
Formerly: j***imm
seller

My Mood:

I say 3 days because at the hospital they have help and atleast gave it a try. At home there is no one to help them if they have questions.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:15 AM   #5
annya25
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oooh, that is kind of icky. The word required sounds sort of militant and abrasive in that sentence. Can't it say "all women should choose (attempt) (strive) to BF for XXX period of time, or "BFing for XXX period of time is beneficial...." A persuasive essay is not meant to dictate, but to educate and then convince people that your reasoning is valid, right?

If you used "all women should strive to BF for XXX period of time", then it would make sense to use either 1-2 years as your time frame, per AAP or WHO recommendations. That seems like a more logical approach. (You can expand on EN later in your paper.) JMHO!! Good luck!
annya25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:19 AM   #6
Bethannp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I say 1 year is the BARE MINUMUM. I have been called a boob nazi though.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:26 AM   #7
momandcass
Registered Users

Location: We live in between Garner and Clayton, NC, in the country.
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by annya25 View Post
Oooh, that is kind of icky. The word required sounds sort of militant and abrasive in that sentence. Can't it say "all women should choose (attempt) (strive) to BF for XXX period of time, or "BFing for XXX period of time is beneficial...." A persuasive essay is not meant to dictate, but to educate and then convince people that your reasoning is valid, right?

If you used "all women should strive to BF for XXX period of time", then it would make sense to use either 1-2 years as your time frame, per AAP or WHO recommendations. That seems like a more logical approach. (You can expand on EN later in your paper.) JMHO!! Good luck!
I think this is an incredible answer! Oh- and I agree!
Jesus Lovin, BFin', Homebirthin, SAHM If I owe you FEEDBACK LMK!
momandcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:29 AM   #8
paper_girl_76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i said 6 weeks because by that time most of the common early problems are resolved(latch issues etc...). That was always my immediate goal anyhow, I knew I wanted to bf until baby self weaned but I gave myself 6 weeks...
Old 09-23-2008, 07:36 AM   #9
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If there was going to be laws and regulations on breastfeeding (which, might I say, is the biggest far reach ever!) I'd say 6 months.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:37 AM   #10
mamabear23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What about us mamas who COULD NOT nurse for any length of time due to medical reasons? Will that be built into your argument?

If I haven't left you feedback, please send me a pm and I will do it right away.
mamabear23 is offline   Reply With Quote