View Poll Results: How long should breastfeeding be mandatory?
1 Nursing 37 13.07%
3 Days (hospital stay) 61 21.55%
1 Week 8 2.83%
1 Month 17 6.01%
6 weeks 48 16.96%
6 months 33 11.66%
1 year 79 27.92%
Voters: 283. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-29-2008, 12:04 AM   #131
jazter
Registered Users
seller

Re: Controversial question inside (for my paper). Mandatory breastfeeding period?

I cannot support a breastfeeding mandate even though I totally support and encourage women to try. I know a lot of people give up because it's "too hard" even though they never really tried and I hate that. I really wish there was more societal support and education about breastfeeding to help curb this. But who decides if you've tried hard enough? Who decides what is a valid reason to stop?

There are women for whom breastfeeding is, was, or would be torture, either emotionally or physically. For example, some women who have been abused as children are not emotionally in a place where they can breastfeed and to tell them they have to would be a further form of abuse IMO.

I think that while breast is best and we need to educate society as a whole to that end, to dictate how a mother feeds her child is completely and utterly patronizing. What really matters is that the children are fed. Making women who chose or need to formula feed feel guilty might make those of us who 'sacrificed' to breastfeed feel better but it doesn't help anyone.

Advertisement

jazter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:32 AM   #132
ekmaurer3
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: Controversial question inside (for my paper). Mandatory breastfeeding period?

I think it should be required for a year. But I also think that means the mama is not seperated from the child in that year and does not have to work.

A good nursing relationship requires mama and baby to be together. Pumping is possible, but it takes dedicaiton.

To require breastfeeding means mama needs to be with the baby. I think more moms would BF if they didnt have the demands of society upon them to work.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:57 AM   #133
bumblesmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazter View Post
I cannot support a breastfeeding mandate even though I totally support and encourage women to try. I know a lot of people give up because it's "too hard" even though they never really tried and I hate that. I really wish there was more societal support and education about breastfeeding to help curb this. But who decides if you've tried hard enough? Who decides what is a valid reason to stop?

There are women for whom breastfeeding is, was, or would be torture, either emotionally or physically. For example, some women who have been abused as children are not emotionally in a place where they can breastfeed and to tell them they have to would be a further form of abuse IMO.

I think that while breast is best and we need to educate society as a whole to that end, to dictate how a mother feeds her child is completely and utterly patronizing. What really matters is that the children are fed. Making women who chose or need to formula feed feel guilty might make those of us who 'sacrificed' to breastfeed feel better but it doesn't help anyone.
I think this sums up my stance too. The idea of mandating to include the reason to benefit society (the benefits to mom and baby are important hands down) gives me the chills...*coughs*
And it isn't fair for a woman who can't due to medical, physical or emotional reasons.

BUT...seeing this is a hypothetical and if I had to choose the lesser of all evils, I chose 3 days. Simply because: 1. a mom would have the support they needed in the hospital (hopefully); 2. the baby would at least be getting super nutritional colostrum (any breast milk is better than no breast milk, especially those first few days); and 3. the benefits of mom at least breastfeeding the first couple of days to recover from birth/hormonal changes and healing are a plus too.

But again, to mandate that any woman HAS to do this, just gives me the willies. Education, education education!

What would dad's mandate be?

Last edited by bumblesmama; 09-29-2008 at 05:45 AM.
bumblesmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:23 AM   #134
Mommy2Gav
Registered Users
seller

I chose one day b/c I was physically unable to nurse my son. I never got my milk in (due to medications I need to stay alive...) but I wouldn't have known that if I hadn't tried. I probably would have thought that nothing came in b/c I didn't try. 3 days would be a better "trial" period but I wouldn't want my dc to starve if there was nothing in there...

ISO: Nook. Will trade goodmamas.
Mommy2Gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:17 PM   #135
GinnyBear's mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyblackdot View Post
Ok this is where i stand, i think that a mother shoudl be given the correct information in the hospital, to make a well educated choice. But i dont think that any mother should be pressured either way, to formula feed of to breastfeed.
I completely agree.

There are also many women who are on prescription antidepressants and should not be nursing while on them. If it is a choice between being a well balanced mother or giving your child the extra benefits from breastmilk, imo mothers need to make their mental health a priority.
GinnyBear's mom is offline   Reply With Quote