View Poll Results: How long should breastfeeding be mandatory?
1 Nursing 37 13.07%
3 Days (hospital stay) 61 21.55%
1 Week 8 2.83%
1 Month 17 6.01%
6 weeks 48 16.96%
6 months 33 11.66%
1 year 79 27.92%
Voters: 283. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-23-2008, 07:44 AM   #11
jaceraden
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Controversial question inside (for my paper). Mandatory breastfeeding period?

I voted 6 weeks.

I voted this way because I really think a Mom and baby NEED a full six weeks to learn before it's fair to assess that it's not working for them and they require other alternatives. I feel that sometimes peeps give up waaaaaay too early and don't take into consideration that BFing is a LEARNED skill and needs practise to become natural. A mandatory 6 weeks would make it clear that more Mamas can BF and would also put emphasis on the few Mamas that it doesn't work for.

My own personal opinion is that babes should be BF'd for at least a year but I do know that there are a few situations where this is just not possible and do not want to discriminate against those situations.

Advertisement

jaceraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:46 AM   #12
syndibee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Controversial question inside (for my paper). Mandatory breastfeeding period?

If breastfeeding were to be mandatory I say for the duration of the hospital stay plus a day, unless the medical community decides that this baby and this momma are not doing well with it and decides to waive the mandate.

So If the momma's hospitalized for 1 day then I say for her the mandate should be no more than 2 days.
If the momma is hospitalized for 5 days then her mandate would be 6 days.

as previously posted the medical community can help with any breastfeeding issues while momma and baby are in their care. If they leave the hospital and are having troubles then they really need the option to not breastfeed to assure the well being of both baby and momma.

I feel that if breastfeeding were to actually become mandatory there would be instances of malnourished babies, I'd much rather see a bottle fed baby than a starving one....

I absolutely abhore those who look down on bottle feeding though, it's a closed thought process in my opinion....I couldn't write that paper.
good luck!!!
Old 09-23-2008, 07:46 AM   #13
aranel7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I believe that BFing should be required for 1 year. That is how long FF babies are supposed to remain on formula, and since I think babies should be BF instead of FF in every situation where it is not completely impossible, I think babies should be BF for a minimum of 1 year.

I mean . . . I understand that there is a very small percentage of women who physically cannot BF, so I hesitate to use the word "required". But here's what I really think, and I'm getting ready for the responses with my flame retardent suit . . .

I think formula should be available by prescription only. All women should initiate BFing and do everything in their power to be successful, including seeing a LC at the first sign of trouble. I think the services of LCs should be covered by insurance, so if that were the case, it would be more accessible to more women. I think A LOT of women give up too easily, without really doing everything they can to continue BFing. If formula were prescription only, women would really *have* to put more importance upon being successful at BFing, and more women might choose to EP instead of just switching to formula.

But . . . formula would still be around for situations where it's really needed. I know a few women who lost their supply around 7-8 months for reasons unknown. Ideally, women like that would see a LC but if they did lose their milk, their ped could just write them a prescription. If mom is adopting, she should obviously have access to formula since relactation is harder than, well, lactation.

I do think breastfeeding should be mandatory and I hope it will be (or else it will be considered "the normal way to feed a baby") in my lifetime. I just don't think women should be able to choose something risky for their child for non-necessary reasons.

Off to hide under a chair now.

Everyday Gourmet with Jennifer Grady Mallowes
aranel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:51 AM   #14
missus.mint
I do *those* parties
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgrimm View Post
I say 3 days because at the hospital they have help and atleast gave it a try. At home there is no one to help them if they have questions.

I think women should be encouraged and rec help while still in the hospital. My LC blew me off in the hospital and the nurses were less than encouraging, but I tried! Even after coming home while having to supplement with the bottle because DD simply wouldn't keep her latch and get so upset. After she lost weight in the hospital because I refused to give her a bottle, I was "scolded". No new mom should have to deal with that. It's not automatic/easy!
missus.mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:54 AM   #15
MRL2611
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I voted for one nursing. I think everyone should try but don't feel guilty if you don't continue. I tried nursing with DD1 and DD2 and I am still nursing DD3 (7.5months). I am not like most nursing moms- I don't like to nurse at all.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:55 AM   #16
angel0123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

3 days b/c the baby gets natures vacines... colostrom
Old 09-23-2008, 07:58 AM   #17
lucifugous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have to be honest, I don't think you should write a thesis in which you do not truly believe! But that might be a little idealistic. A skilled writer certainly should be able to make a persuasive argument even if s/he is not actually invested in the point being argued. It's one thing if this is for a writing class... but if this is a thesis to complete a graduate degree, I would say you need to rewrite it!

ETA: I put one year but obviously a mandate is not realistic. I am with the PP who hopes breastfeeding will be the norm in our lifetime!!! Sometimes I dream that there is a magical place I could move to where breastfeeding and other natural ways of life are the norm, but I don't think it exists. Then again, I've lived in Chicago all my life so how would I know? >sigh<

Last edited by lucifugous; 09-23-2008 at 08:02 AM.
lucifugous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:58 AM   #18
kmwillford
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There should be a "none" choice. I breastfeed all my boys for 1+ year, but it should be a choice. I have never criticized another woman for not nursing. That's absurd!

ISO: gift cards, nintendo DS + games for a 7 yr old boy
kmwillford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:58 AM   #19
L&G'sMomma
Registered Users

My Mood:

I said 6 weeks, mandatory! Yes, I believe longer is better, but I know for me it took 6 weeks with both kids to feel comfortable and to "enjoy" it. It was just a chore and painful before that...and I think WAY too many mamas give up during the pain. It takes what 21 days to start a habit...I think that's a huge step!

ISO: Trendy Maternity Clothes (Small) and newborn AIO's.
L&G'sMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:04 AM   #20
ForCryingOutLoud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifugous View Post
I have to be honest, I don't think you should write a thesis in which you do not truly believe! But that might be a little idealistic. A skilled writer certainly should be able to make a persuasive argument even if s/he is not actually invested in the point being argued. It's one thing if this is for a writing class... but if this is a thesis to complete a graduate degree, I would say you need to rewrite it!

ETA: I put one year but obviously a mandate is not realistic. I am with the PP who hopes breastfeeding will be the norm in our lifetime!!! Sometimes I dream that there is a magical place I could move to where breastfeeding and other natural ways of life are the norm, but I don't think it exists. Then again, I've lived in Chicago all my life so how would I know? >sigh<

I too dream of a wonderful world where breastfeeding and natural ways are just apart of everyday life.

Last edited by ForCryingOutLoud; 09-23-2008 at 08:06 AM.
ForCryingOutLoud is offline   Reply With Quote