View Poll Results: How long should breastfeeding be mandatory?
1 Nursing 37 13.07%
3 Days (hospital stay) 61 21.55%
1 Week 8 2.83%
1 Month 17 6.01%
6 weeks 48 16.96%
6 months 33 11.66%
1 year 79 27.92%
Voters: 283. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-23-2008, 08:09 AM   #21
marykatmp
Registered Users
seller

Re: Controversial question inside (for my paper). Mandatory breastfeeding period?

Like you, I believe it should be a choice since there are many mamas who are unable to bf for reasons beyond their control. And trust me, this can make you feel horrible enough.

However, if I were in your position and had already started doing research and writing, and were committed to the topic, I would say for the duration of the hospital stay. This is the time when most women have the support to work on bfing, furthermore, for the sake of argument in your paper, how would it be enforced if you were to extend the period? There is no way (beyond a big brother approach, which would not be reasonable to impose) to monitor the regulation otherwise.

Good luck with the paper!

Advertisement

Last edited by marykatmp; 09-23-2008 at 08:10 AM.
marykatmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:13 AM   #22
shaky_girl
Registered Users

Re: Controversial question inside (for my paper). Mandatory breastfeeding period?

I voted for one nursing because that gives the professor something to go on. I agree though that it shouldn't be mandatory. I think it should definitely be encouraged but there are times when it just won't work out, for instance if the mother has HIV. Not to mention, a woman should be able to make the choice for herself.
I, personally, choose to nurse til the baby wants to stop.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:15 AM   #23
Adamsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I voted for 3 days (hospital stay). I personally believe in nursing longer (1 yr. minimum) but I realize it isn't for everybody because of a variety of reasons. There are medical reasons that people can't do it and also if they are working full-time I think it would be difficult to nurse for that long. Atleast the baby would get some benefit from colostrum, right?
Old 09-23-2008, 08:16 AM   #24
amyrenee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I voted for one year because that's my personal preference. I'm still nursing my DD at 17 mos. Though, I truly believe that it is up to momma and baby. Some babies need it longer than others. It's all about watching for your baby's cues!
amyrenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:17 AM   #25
mommaRNluvs7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

*if* it were to be required, than I say 6 weeks cause it takes as long to establish a good nursing relationship.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:19 AM   #26
mommamally
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by aranel7 View Post
I think formula should be available by prescription only.
I couldn't agree more. I think we are too used to the "easy life" and that mothers give up nursing before they have really tried. Nursing for me wasn't easy, but I was determined. I had to use a nipple shield for nearly 3 months before my ds and I learned how to nurse the right way! I know some women physically cannot nurse and sustain a baby. But they are absolutely in the minority. Nursing takes as much dedication as being a parent. If you have one, you should have the other. IMHO.
mommamally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:22 AM   #27
Adamsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I believe that BFing should be required for 1 year. That is how long FF babies are supposed to remain on formula, and since I think babies should be BF instead of FF in every situation where it is not completely impossible, I think babies should be BF for a minimum of 1 year.

I mean . . . I understand that there is a very small percentage of women who physically cannot BF, so I hesitate to use the word "required". But here's what I really think, and I'm getting ready for the responses with my flame retardent suit . . .

I think formula should be available by prescription only. All women should initiate BFing and do everything in their power to be successful, including seeing a LC at the first sign of trouble. I think the services of LCs should be covered by insurance, so if that were the case, it would be more accessible to more women. I think A LOT of women give up too easily, without really doing everything they can to continue BFing. If formula were prescription only, women would really *have* to put more importance upon being successful at BFing, and more women might choose to EP instead of just switching to formula.

But . . . formula would still be around for situations where it's really needed. I know a few women who lost their supply around 7-8 months for reasons unknown. Ideally, women like that would see a LC but if they did lose their milk, their ped could just write them a prescription. If mom is adopting, she should obviously have access to formula since relactation is harder than, well, lactation.

I do think breastfeeding should be mandatory and I hope it will be (or else it will be considered "the normal way to feed a baby") in my lifetime. I just don't think women should be able to choose something risky for their child for non-necessary reasons.

Off to hide under a chair now.

This was my idea, too, if it wasn't for the hospital stay then it should be for 1 yr and formula by prescription only.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:27 AM   #28
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I believe that BFing should be required for 1 year. That is how long FF babies are supposed to remain on formula, and since I think babies should be BF instead of FF in every situation where it is not completely impossible, I think babies should be BF for a minimum of 1 year.

I mean . . . I understand that there is a very small percentage of women who physically cannot BF, so I hesitate to use the word "required". But here's what I really think, and I'm getting ready for the responses with my flame retardent suit . . .

I think formula should be available by prescription only. All women should initiate BFing and do everything in their power to be successful, including seeing a LC at the first sign of trouble. I think the services of LCs should be covered by insurance, so if that were the case, it would be more accessible to more women. I think A LOT of women give up too easily, without really doing everything they can to continue BFing. If formula were prescription only, women would really *have* to put more importance upon being successful at BFing, and more women might choose to EP instead of just switching to formula.

But . . . formula would still be around for situations where it's really needed. I know a few women who lost their supply around 7-8 months for reasons unknown. Ideally, women like that would see a LC but if they did lose their milk, their ped could just write them a prescription. If mom is adopting, she should obviously have access to formula since relactation is harder than, well, lactation.

I do think breastfeeding should be mandatory and I hope it will be (or else it will be considered "the normal way to feed a baby") in my lifetime. I just don't think women should be able to choose something risky for their child for non-necessary reasons.

Off to hide under a chair now.

I totally agree.
Emi Marie, 8.15.14

2208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:34 AM   #29
mlhmrsdds
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by annya25 View Post
Oooh, that is kind of icky. The word required sounds sort of militant and abrasive in that sentence. Can't it say "all women should choose (attempt) (strive) to BF for XXX period of time, or "BFing for XXX period of time is beneficial...." A persuasive essay is not meant to dictate, but to educate and then convince people that your reasoning is valid, right? If you used "all women should strive to BF for XXX period of time", then it would make sense to use either 1-2 years as your time frame, per AAP or WHO recommendations. That seems like a more logical approach. (You can expand on EN later in your paper.) JMHO!! Good luck!
* I taught english (not at a college level mind you) but according to the rules of a persuasive paper that would be a great topic.* You can probably use all your agruments you've already forumated.*As a mother whose daughter had to be hospitalized for jaundice because she wouldn't nurse and I had too little milk and finally switched to formula at two weeks old, I have a few good "opposite side" arguments. Good luck with it!
Old 09-23-2008, 08:35 AM   #30
this_mel_rocks
Registered Users
seller

OTHER- why was this not an option?

Breast is best and I will be first one to advocate that but no one has the right to tell other women what should be mandatory with their bodies and their babies. Its a personal choice that should not be decided for you.

PS- I was a breastfeeding mom for 1 yr with my daughter and 2yrs with my son.
this_mel_rocks is offline   Reply With Quote