Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-19-2006, 01:40 PM   #1
Marielblewis
Registered Users

My Mood:
The best way to store extra milk?

I plan to breastfeed again with this baby. Last time I would always have 3-4 bottles of extra milk in the freezer, but now we have a deep-freezer so I want to build up a larger stash of extra milk. Freezing the milk in the bottles was convienant, but that doesn't seem reasonable for a lot of milk. What is the easiest way to store extra milk? The cheapest way? Any suggestions are welcome.

Advertisement

PSA: Eating Bison is better for health and the environment. Google it!
Marielblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:33 PM   #2
Paulette
Registered Users
seller

Re: The best way to store extra milk?

I like the Lansinoh zipper bags the best. You can freeze the milk flat so it doesn't take up a lot of space. We're bottle feeding during the day while I work too, so I also use the Playtex drop-ins, and they have a system to pump directly into the drop-ins and freeze in them as well. HTH!
Now Testing for Eye Pillows.....http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=504751

Paulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:38 PM   #3
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulette View Post
I like the Lansinoh zipper bags the best. You can freeze the milk flat so it doesn't take up a lot of space. We're bottle feeding during the day while I work too, so I also use the Playtex drop-ins, and they have a system to pump directly into the drop-ins and freeze in them as well. HTH!
I love the dropins way! If you use playtex bottles this is definitely the way to go! BTW I totally recommend the bottles!!
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 04:15 PM   #4
Marielblewis
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've used the bottles and dropins before, but the drop in is open - how do you seal it?

PSA: Eating Bison is better for health and the environment. Google it!
Marielblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 04:47 PM   #5
MommaBelt
waiting on response to fsot issue 4/11

ok when I was nursing DD and building up a stash I never realised one thing about storing BM. when you store it in a plastic bag you lose most of the antibodies.. I think it was as high as 60 or something percent(loss). You must store it in hard contaners for it to be preserved. just a heads up, I never knew it and it REALLY devastaded me when I found out.

here is one article I found about it

CHOICE OF A STORAGE CONTAINER
When a baby is only receiving expressed milk occasionally, the type of storage container is not a major consideration; however, if a baby is receiving most of his nourishment from expressed breastmilk, the type of storage container used should be considered carefully. Plastic containers are the best choice for storing breastmilk in the refrigerator as more of human milk's leukocytes or white cells adhere to glass. If the milk is to be frozen, glass is the preferred choice as it is less porous and offers the best protection. Most of the leukocytes in human milk are killed with freezing anyway. For this reason, milk that can be used within 8 days of expression should be refrigerated rather than frozen, because the antimicrobial properties of human milk are better preserved with refrigeration.

Another good choice for refrigeration or freezing is the milk storage bags that are designed specifically for human milk (see CSF milkbags). They are pre-sterilized and are thicker (2-ply), coated with polyethylene, and lined with nylon which prevents the fat from adhering to the sides. Hard plastic containers of any kind are also good choices for both refrigeration and freezing. Other milkbags, sold specifically as bottle liners, are not as durable, making them an unacceptable alternative when freezing the milk as the seams may burst during the freezing process perhaps causing a leak during thawing. Also, one study found that there was a 60% decrease in the milk's antibodies and a loss of fat that adhered to the sides of these bags. If this type of bag is still chosen, the milk can be better protected by placing the liner bags in a larger gallon size freezer bag or in a hard plastic container.

When milk freezes it expands, so it is necessary to leave about an inch at the top of the container to allow for expansion. For this reason, bottle caps or container lids should not be tightened until the milk is completely frozen.

HANDLING AND THAWING

Last edited by MommaBelt; 10-19-2006 at 04:53 PM. Reason: quoting my information
MommaBelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 04:49 PM   #6
Luvmybabies
My two cuties :)
sitesupporter
seller

The hospital gave me a large amount of sterile containers to store BM in, they worked out great for me, I could clearly label them and stack them in the freezer
Old 10-19-2006, 10:40 PM   #7
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

There is a new thing that is called the playtex one step. You can read about it here!

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...00000001827250
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:21 AM   #8
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

for a deep freezer stash, I pump into bottles then transfer into bags. I like the gerber seal & go but just got the lansinosh for 4 boxes of 25 for $18 ish
so thats what I got. Fill them w/the amt you'll use for 1 feeding and freeze. I lay them flat to freeze either at work or in the reg freezer at home. then when I have a bunch, I put the individual bags into a gallon size ziplock date and put that into the deep freezer.

have a thermometer on your freezer - you can get an indoor/outdoor w/alarm for <$20 and its the best $$ you'll spend if you leave the door adjar or the power goes off etc and you need to know the temp.

DO NOT be tempted to put 6-8 oz in each bag unless you're going to ep and you know baby gets larger bottles . Thawed bm must be used within 24h and if you only need a bottle or 2 for the day, you end up wasting the rest. I dislike sending frozen milk to dc for this reason on Fridays. Lately, if I need ot send frozen, I use the avent dropin bottles so if it doesnt get used, it just stays there frozen.

freeze the milk within 24 hrs at most to ensure it lasts the longest possible in the freezer
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:54 AM   #9
small_wonders_wipes
Registered Users
seller

I recently found a neat product for freezing breastmilk. They are called "Slim Lines Milk trays" They are basically similar to ice cube trays, but you freeze the milk in one ounce sticks. After the milk is frozen, you transfer the sticks to another container of your choice. When you want to thaw the milk, you can just take out however many 1 oz sticks that you need and the stick are narrow enough to fit in most bottles.

I haven't had a chance to try them yet, I don't pump any more, but I hope to use them with our next baby.

http://www.slimlines.biz/shop.html

I think they are pretty cool!
small_wonders_wipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 04:59 PM   #10
mommyto2presidents
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Cool - I just ordered two trays. DS is already almost 6 months old, but this will help keep us going for a while. What a great idea!!