Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 11-07-2006, 09:50 AM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: anyone used/using nipple shield?

I used it with my first b/c he had an arched palate (roof of mouth) till he was about 6 months old...then he figured it out. He was small too. 5lbs.

My 2nd was FINE! Latched like a pro.

My 3rd was fine too...but we developed thrush and I developed mastitis...horrible pain and I couldn't bear to have her I bought and tried the nipple shield. HOORAY for it! We used it for about 10 days and were back on target again without it.

I work in a NICU as an OT and many MANY parents use the nipple shield b/c it allows silicone nipple and therefore the milk to go further into the babies mouth than just your nipple alone, and then the baby can work on sucking. Many premature babies have decreased tongue strength and endurance, and this will just help them succeed until they are ready to do it on their own. You can also get them at Target too if you ever need new ones.

But I would not be discouraged if you have to use it for a little while or longer, it allows you to succeed at breastfeeding with your baby, then go for it! If he was premature he's had a rough start anyway, so anything you can do to make it easier on him go for it!

Good luck!

OTMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:05 PM   #12
Registered Users
Re: anyone used/using nipple shield?

I have used a nipple shield with DD for 16 months now at every feeding. I tried to wean her from it, but she wouldnt do it no matter what I tried so I had to adjust my expectations and realize we have a great nursing relationship. She's never had formula and is still nursing a ton!
Christy - breastfeeding, cloth diapering, natural living, homeschooling, homebirthing, stay at home mama to Lucy (9), Julia (7), Esther (4), Isaac (2), and Baby in Oct my blog about healthy living and mothering
mercy589 is offline   Reply With Quote