Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-24-2008, 08:39 PM   #1
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
How do you know when the right time is?

DD isn't even two yet, but I just don't really know when the right time to PL is...She wants to sit on the potty all the time but never does anything on there. I don't even know if she recognizes her urge. Will it be obvious when it's time?

Advertisement

athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:38 PM   #2
Ashwin'sMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: onebumatatime!
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do you know when the right time is?

Hey mama,

I really can't answer for you but we also are interested in the answer - DS is 2.5 and he has no interest in using his little plastic potty - plus I see that it is too small for him anyway....

I am not anxious to PL DS but am curious what the cues might be that he is ready!

Oh, and he is in the habit of removing his dipe and woolies and THEN pees - it is frustrating!

Tara
Old 10-09-2008, 03:17 PM   #3
Phiasmom0
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am in the same boat Mama. We sit on the potty 10 to 15 times a day and I have "potty" only toys. she has gone a few time but for the most part we just sit there playing with the toys. So what should I do? is it time? She usually tells me when she is poopey or about to poo but not always and she has never gone poo on the potty so I am thankful you asked this question. Know you are not alone.

Kate a CDing addict ,wife to
Tony , & mom to Phia IHV list ISO - ISO Get $10 for signing up at Hits4Pay, $5 when you sign up for Ebates also tryMr.Rebates Be careful of your thoughts, they may become words at any moment.

Phiasmom0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:16 AM   #4
ShayneLeMaster
no caption needed
seller

My Mood:

I too wonder when Gage will be ready(28 months old)...some days he will tell me as soon as he pees the littlest bit and some days he will have a lil poop in his diaper until i check him to change him (sometimes nearly 2hrs) because he doesnt have a sippy cup all the time he has a drink with meals and snack and after outside play so its not going in all day and coming out all day...kwim?

Ive been told that when poopy diapers bother him, its time....well somedays they do...some days they dont.. He wants to sit on the toilet but thats just it....he just wants to sit there.

Id like to get " serious " about the potty but i dont want it to be a waste of time/effort or add more stress to me and him..
Old 10-23-2008, 09:37 AM   #5
laj
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A year ago I was in the same boat and this is what happened at our place over the past year...

My guys seemed very interested in the potty when they were around 20 months (summer 2007), so of course I got all excited about them PL'ing quickly. They sat on their potty 2-3 times a day and peed in them for the first time in March 2008. By that time they were both telling us right after they had wet or dirtied their dipes that they wanted to be changed. We weren't pushing at all, but just encouraging them to let us, and our dcp, know when they had to pee and they could go on the potty instead of in their dipes. DH is a teacher, so he was home with the boys during the summer and that's when we decided to put a bit more of an effort into PL'ing / PT'ing. We put the boys in trainers during the day and brought them to their potties every hour. DH did this for 2 months and we didn't have much success at all. One day Matthew just decided that he was going to use the potty and that was that. It's been 2 months since that day and he's only had 3 accidents. He's in underwear except for nights. William is still learning though and is still in trainers having many accidents. I think he'll be the same as Matthew and just decide to do it one day. I'm just hoping that the day is in our near future...

Sorry for the babbling, but I guess I wanted to let you know that from my experience, everything I had heard about the signs of readiness weren't necessarily accurate. My guys were "ready" for a year before they actually PL'd, but if your DD will sit on the potty, go with it. Good luck!
Old 10-23-2008, 12:00 PM   #6
liramom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

well, I don't know as I started sitting my little boy on the potty (19 months) and the result is...he's learned to back up and sit down, he now holds it and when the bathroom door opens he runs into the other room and pees, AND he HATES diaper changes. I'm just hoping that this is a sign that he will want to be out of diapers. From everything I've read and been told, it is the parents job to introduce the pottying concepts. Sitting on the potty, dressing and undressing, everyone else goes, but until the child decided this is what he/she wants to do it won't stick. The importance with introducing the potty early is that the child will have the knowledge to make the decision. If you don't even talk about wet/dry, undies/diapers, potty etc, then, I believe, the baby may be ready but unable to let you know.

I plan on sitting him on the potty in the morning and evenings and making a game out of it. (reading books, playing peek-a-boo, tickle him when he stands up) and talking about undies, wet/dry and look what everyone else does. And hopefully, he'll just say "I want underwear today" or NO more diapers.
liramom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:41 PM   #7
alnoodle
Registered Users
seller

I don't know how much help I'll be... because we aren't totally PL yet. However... DD seemed interested in the potty around 9 months. So I put her on it now and then... but wasn't pushy. Now she is a little over 14 months and I'm getting a little more pushy. She loves going potty on the potty. She refuses to use a plastic potty... so we have a seat that fits the toilet and she will put it on herself. She did the sign for potty (because she absolutely refuses to say it) for the first time the other day. She does go on the potty sometimes... but sometimes we just sit there and sing too... lol. Google "Baby Signs Potty training" and "Potty Boot Camp" and that might give u some ideas too. Good luck!

Amanda married to Jamie. Mother of three little boogers; Lulu, Brooke, and Rosie
alnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:40 AM   #8
statikradio
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayneLeMaster View Post
I too wonder when Gage will be ready(28 months old)...some days he will tell me as soon as he pees the littlest bit and some days he will have a lil poop in his diaper until i check him to change him (sometimes nearly 2hrs) because he doesnt have a sippy cup all the time he has a drink with meals and snack and after outside play so its not going in all day and coming out all day...kwim?

Ive been told that when poopy diapers bother him, its time....well somedays they do...some days they dont.. He wants to sit on the toilet but thats just it....he just wants to sit there.

Id like to get " serious " about the potty but i dont want it to be a waste of time/effort or add more stress to me and him..
SAME HERE!

She's only peed in the potty a few times. Only once a full on pee. Everything else was a tail end of something in the diaper. I put stickers on the wall by her potty and made a big deal, but she still just sits there and doesn't actually go. She tells me when she's pooped and sometimes if she's wet she will ask to be changed. But some days she will poop and not care or say anything and I'll just discover her stinky secret! So I'm still keeping her in diapers. This summer I tried panties and nothing and still got the floor wet so I gave that up.

** Mom of two **
statikradio is offline   Reply With Quote