Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-25-2008, 01:09 PM   #1
amberpayne27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Can I really feed my family for $50 a week???

I tried this when I first started staying home, and that was a year ago. I BARELY was able to buy enough groceries, and the price of things has nearly doubled since then. My family consists of me, my VERY picky DH, and my 14 month old DD. We have to purchase soy milk b/c my dd is HIGHLY allergic to milk. That in itself is more expensive than regular milk. I have looked at Hillbilly Housewife and I have a book called "Dining on a Dime" that I like, but I still can't get below $75 a week and not be starving. My dh refuses to eat beans and he loves meat. He's not huge on veggies, either, unless it's green beans, broccoli, or something fried! I take pride in making him happy & making meals that he likes, so I don't want to just say, "Deal with it!" Is there really a way I can feed my little family for $50 and feel satisfied & not starve??? Oh, and I'd like to keep it as healthy as possible and avoid some of the junk which is usually pretty cheap!

ETA: we don't get the newspaper, so we have no way to get coupons, unless they're online. The weekly newspaper here STINKS b/c we live in a small town.

Advertisement

Jesus lovin' wife to my 3rd grade sweetie and Homeschooling mama to my funny little 5 year old diva, Kelsie ,Stella Mae, my 2 year old wild child and Judah Jenkins, our sweet miracle rainbow baby born 11/3/12
Missing our tiny love bugs 6/11, 4w4d and 10/11, 9w1d

Last edited by amberpayne27; 09-25-2008 at 01:10 PM.
amberpayne27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:18 PM   #2
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can I really feed my family for $50 a week???

What about portion control? Would that help any? I know we've saved a ton on our groceries by say only giving one chicken leg per person instead of two or as many as you can eat. And milk for the older kids and Dh and I is one serving (we always eat cheese or yogurt during the day at least once). And I fill in the gaps with bread, or baked treats like Hillbilly Housewifes cakes or muffins.

I dont have much advise other than that.
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:22 PM   #3
jesshb
Registered Users
seller

The last few weeks I've been able to keep our groceries at $60/wk. What I do is only buy the meat on sale and if I can stock up on it I do (like last week our grocery store had 2.5 lb bags of frozen chicken breasts buy one get one free so I got two bags. But on a week I can't do that, I would only get one and it's 1/2 price.

I agree on portion control...especially with the meat.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:28 PM   #4
HobbyHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mommytimestwo
seller

i go shopping every 2 weeks, and I get 4 gallons of milk each time. DS drinks alot, DH drinks a glass of chocolate milk with dinner each night ( we buy the syrup or powder- not real chocolate milk- thats WAY too $$) I try not to drink too much milk b/c they do.
I try to make stuff indtead of buying it premade- i.e. lasagna. I never have bought frozen lasagna. I like my own and its alot cheaper to make it. And cookies- I have an awesome choc chip cookie recipe I like. I try to divide things up so they dont go to waste- like with bacon I cut the package in half so they are smaller, and then put one 1/2 in the freezer since we only make big breakfasts on the weekend.
if you shop at aldis or someplace like that it can cut out alot.
HobbyHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:49 PM   #5
elleystar
Registered Users
seller

Will your DH eat beans in chili?? That's a great way to stretch the meat out but still have a lot of protein. I make it with a lb of ground beef, a lb of stew meat that I've chopped up smaller, and the beans. It's still good and meaty but the meat goes farther, and there's always a bunch left over to freeze.

I've been struggling with finding good online coupons too but I've found some good sites in the last few days that have been super helpful! LMK if you want links.

How committed is your DH to helping you keep the food costs down? If he's really that picky, he needs to help you out with finding recipes and doing meal planning with stuff he knows he'll like. We all have to make sacrifices to save $$ and it's not fair to be like 'well I want us to save money but I refuse to eat anything besides x and x'.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:09 PM   #6
amberpayne27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by elleystar View Post

How committed is your DH to helping you keep the food costs down? If he's really that picky, he needs to help you out with finding recipes and doing meal planning with stuff he knows he'll like. We all have to make sacrifices to save $$ and it's not fair to be like 'well I want us to save money but I refuse to eat anything besides x and x'.
Lol, that's been my argument all along. He says he will eat anything I cook, but I promise you if I cooked beans, he'd just go without dinner. He's so sweet...he wouldn't fuss at all...he'd just not eat. He wouldn't sulk. He'd just not eat! I feel bad b/c he can't help that he's picky...he just is. We like what we like. He does try new things, though. Sometimes . I'm going to tell him next week that if he doesn't help me come up with stuff, we're having chili and stuff that he might not like . He'll either get ticked off or he'll surprise me and say, "Ok." He does so much for us everyday...he works his butt off and never complains. I just want to make him happy, but I also don't want to spend a fortune on groceries. I see some of you spending $50 per week with families of 5 or 6!
Jesus lovin' wife to my 3rd grade sweetie and Homeschooling mama to my funny little 5 year old diva, Kelsie ,Stella Mae, my 2 year old wild child and Judah Jenkins, our sweet miracle rainbow baby born 11/3/12
Missing our tiny love bugs 6/11, 4w4d and 10/11, 9w1d
amberpayne27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:10 PM   #7
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

One thing I've been doing is going to the websites of brands I like and requesting coupons. I just say that I love their product but with grocery prices rising I have to cut my grocery budget. Then I ask if they could possibly send me some coupons so I can continue to enjoy their product. I just got an email today that coupons are in the mail!!

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:22 PM   #8
luvmyfishies
Registered Users
seller

One suggestion I have heard, and am trying to work on with my meat loving Dh, is to make a lower cost meals and just make sure to serve him a meat serving. Like if you made lentil soup, rice, salad, and serve him some baked chicken too. Also for my DH I have gottne to the point that if I make something I only have to put like 1/4lb of meat and it gives the illusion of a meaty dish.
Also have you looked into making your own soy milk? They have counter top milk makers you can make soy milk, rice milk, nut milks, and soup in. It may save you money in the long run. Good luck.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:34 PM   #9
mlhmrsdds
Registered
seller

My Mood:

$50 MOST weeks is totally doable. I think if you strive for $200 a month (my personal goal for Oct) that might be easier. For example one week meat might be super cheap and you spend $50 just on meat to stock up on it for the rest of the month, then you might spend $75 that week once you add in your other essentials. But then the follow week all you need is milk and produce because you have enough meat from the week before so you only spend $25, then the follow week you spend $50 because you need to replenish your dry goods but you still have enough meat, etc. I tried just taking the cash out for the month, half at each paycheck and just spending cash for groceries, I did pretty well but went over my original $100 budget for Sept, but I should be good at $200 for Oct.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:40 PM   #10
imasupernova
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am sure for a household of 3 that could be VERY doable...I am going to calculate how much I spend on groceries next month because this month wasn't good to start with since we were doing the stockpiling.

mom to se7en rockin' kiddos
Do you Swag? You can earn FREE gift cards!
imasupernova is offline   Reply With Quote