Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-12-2006, 07:51 PM   #11
HippieMomToLennon
Registered Users

Re: Tell me your process....

I've only been CDing for 2 weeks but here's my routine.

Dry pail
1.) Soak in cold (water just covering dipes) for about an hour.
2.) Wash on hot with about 1/4 cap of Sun.
3.) Cold rinse (sometimes two, depending on how I feel)
4.) Line dry (weather permitting) long enough to get the stains out of pre-folds, KL's, and inserts, then put those in the dryer (hot) for about an hour. Completely dry covers and FB's on line.

Seems to be working wonderfully. I'm going to change detergent each time I run out, just hasn't happened yet.
I've also been using baking soda in the wash because we have thrush, but normally, I don't.

Advertisement

HippieMomToLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:58 PM   #12
aimeemarie
Registered Users
seller

I think a good bit of advice I heard was to start very, very simple with your washing process. (Obviously that is what I am doing! ) Then if you get the stinkies or have problems you can start to change stuff.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:13 PM   #13
rawkstarwife
Registered Users

Mine is very simple:

1) Put dirties in dry pail.
2) When pail is full, empty into washer on warm/cold setting on gentle cycle with 1/8 cup regular detergent.
3) Hang to dry on rack on back porch.
4) Repeat!
rawkstarwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:30 PM   #14
toryandrew
Registered Users
seller

I have two wetbags, one for upstairs and one for down. I hot wash in a front loader with a hot pre-wash and then 4 cold rinses. I use SportsWash and every 4th or so wash a little bit of Baby Oxyclean. I had stink last week, nothing worked, vineger made it worse etc. I boiled each insert twice for 4 minutes of hard boil. Soaked the pockets in warm water with Dawn and Baking Soda. Rewashed them all with no detergent, rinsed with some Tea Tree Oil. The stink is gone.
toryandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:07 PM   #15
Bridget Riedell
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've been cding for around 2 months. I have Hemp fitteds, Indian pfds, Chinese pfds, 2 velour mutts. I dry pail. Throw everything into hanging pail until full. If any poopies, I rinse those out good before adding to pail. Every other day, I dump into washer and if any poopies, throw hanging pail in too. There are also some PUL trainers in the mix from my 4 yr old.

I rinse on cold/large capacity water level. Then I wash on hot/with about a Tbs. of Sun detergent. Rinse on cold. Dry on low in the dryer. Sometimes I hang my PUL pocket trainers to dry.

No problems thus far.

I started in the beginning using OxyClean Baby, and I'm pretty sure it put holes in my hemp. Just an FYI.

HTH
Bridget Riedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 08:52 AM   #16
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

Thank you all so much for the advice!! I really apperciate it. I plan to have Noah is CD's full time by next weekend, all the sposies should be gone by then, so I hope I can get this washing thing down
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 09:05 AM   #17
punkmama3
Registered Users

I use a dry pail (tried a wet pail once, it was gross, hahaha).
1. Cold wash with a tablespoon bio-kleen detergent and a quarter cup baking soda.
2. Hot was with a cup of vinegar and 6 drops total of tto/lavender oil
3. Line dry (as long as it's not raining).

That's it
punkmama3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 09:25 AM   #18
christinewith4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Wink Re: Tell me your process....

WOW...I can NOT see wasting all that water..lol.

I dump all diapers, covers, wipes, doublers, etc (anything related to CDing) into the washer on a "heavy wash" on the Hot/cold cycle.

I add about 1/2 cup detargent & 1 cup of vinegar (maybe Im using too much?) at the beginning of the cycle. When they are done washing, I take them out and line dry outside, where the sun takes care of any staining.

Thats it... they seem clean to me & have no stink or anything when they comeout of the washer... the vinegar make them soft & rids the smells...

OH I it's a large load too, not typically a small load. We dont have many dipes, etc, and have 2 in cloth, so I usually wait and do all the dipes, etc together.
christinewith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 11:19 AM   #19
mvlg
Registered Users

I keep it simple and let the hot water do the work. I have my hot water heater on 150ish, gosh, it may be higher. I spray all poopy diapers out with my mini shower and sometimes send them through a rinse cycle in the machine if they are terribly bad. Then everything goes into the same dry pail.
Cold rinse (sometimes wash) with nothing. (just to rinse out the pee)
HOT wash with 1 teaspoonish of Sportswash and 1/2 cap Calgon sometimes
Warm rinse
Cold rinse
If I see bubbles in the warm rinse, then instead of cold, I do another warm rinse. I usually do a normal agitation, but will sometimes turn it up to heavy to check for bubbles.
Then I dry mine on medium until they are all dry.
I have a top loader. I traded my front loader in months ago for another trusty top loader. I battled stink and rashes with my FL, nothing helped. I bet I bought $100 worth of different detergents, essential oils, and additives trying to make it work.
Are you having problems? We can try to help.
Mary
mvlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 11:19 AM   #20
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Well, I definitely don't see it as a waste of water. I don't think all the poo and detergent residue would come out of my dipes if I just stuck them all in one wash and rinse. Plus, doing only a hot wash will set poop stains in the dipes. I know the FB website recommends a cold rinse first and then a hot wash.

An extra rinse is always a good idea because if you don't get all the detergent out, or if there is some leftover waste, it will give baby a horrid rash. And vinegar also doesn't work for everyone, like if you have really hard water, it will just add to the stink.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote