Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-24-2008, 07:53 PM   #1
isabel249
Registered Users
seller

Vegetarian BFing?

Anyone here a strict vegetarian and BFing? Or planning to?

I do not eat any type of meat, fish or chicken. I don't eat eggs either. I don't drink milk but I do eat cheese and things made with a bit of milk.

Anyway I'm wondering if anyone has any personal experience with this? Did you have to take supplements or anything to be sure your baby had enough nutrients? I'm concerned about that if I try to breastfeed this next baby (I didn't BF my daughter)

Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 09-24-2008, 07:58 PM   #2
Emmaleigh3699
Registered Users
seller

Re: Vegetarian BFing?

I was vegan when I had my son. Most important thing is that you eat a variety of foods and keep it healthy keep hydrated and don't eat junk -just like any other bf mom also, take prenatals. If you want one thats vegetarian friendly you could go for Deva - they're vegan and not overly expensive.
Emmaleigh3699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:05 PM   #3
lulusmom
Keepin' it Crunchy!
seller

My Mood:

I am vegetarian and mostly vegan except I do eat egg whites and drink protein shakes made from whey. Otherwise, I get a varied diet including lots of good fats like avocado, flaxseed oil, coconut oil, etc. It's important so that your milk is nice and fatty because your lo needs lots of fat for weight gain and brain development, and shiny coat....oh wait, that's a puppy. But seriously, get a good diet and don't fill up on cr*p, like my dh when he tried to be a vegtarian for a little over a year (can't tell you how many months it seemed like he lived off of grilled cheese sandwiches and french fries ; if he was feeling "healthy" he would order iceberg lettuce salad with tons of blue cheese dressing, double ) As a breastfeeding mom, your body will always give the best nutrients to the milk for your baby, so the first sign that your nutrition is off is YOU feeling tired and blah so you can change something before it does start to affect your lo.

Helen-Natural birthing, extended bf'ing, cosleeping, non-vaxxin' mama to Holly Lu 8/18/07

Last edited by lulusmom; 09-25-2008 at 05:31 AM.
lulusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:07 AM   #4
Dahlea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The most important is B12, but since you're not vegan and eat cheese, you should be ok, but you can take a Bcomplex supplement just to make sure. I'd also take a DHA supplement since you don't eat fish-they make a vegetarian form from algae I believe.
Mama to Zanthias (10/13) and wife to Drew, love of my life I offer snap services (including converting BGs and similar to snaps)! I sell Longaberger baskets! Join SB to earn giftcards! Due 8/10 with a surprise!
Dahlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:23 PM   #5
isabel249
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the tips ladies!
Old 09-25-2008, 03:32 PM   #6
veganf
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've been vegan for 16 years, breastfed all my kids, breastfed while pregnant, tandem-nursed, and donated milk after 2 babies (for a total of almost a year now). There is no reason to be concerned about your diet if it is healthy without a lot of processed foods and junk.

I do make sure to get ample omega-3 fatty acids in my diet and take a vegan DHA supplement.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:34 PM   #7
saongiri
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm veg-eat eggs occasionally, very little cheese no milk, I also have 4 close friends that are strictly vegan and we've all bf'd successfully for extended times (years not months) and I take my prenatal and that's all. I would try make sure you eat a decent variety of foods and include things richin fatty acids like avocado. And I agree with pp about DHA and B12 for your general health too.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:00 PM   #8
jnatboyd
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've been vegetarian, mostly vegan for 17 years, I currently am eating eggs and yogurt on occassion. I'm bf'ing with no issues at 5 months now. I agree with the other mamas about eating a variety of foods and avoiding processed foods. Including lots of veggies, fruit, and fats from avocado and nuts. I think that processed foods would be bad for a bd'ing mom and baby regardless of meat or no meat diet.

I take Omega-3's for brain and nerve health (flax seed oil and DHA) plus prenatal vitamins mine already have ample B-12.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:41 AM   #9
p3nickel6
Registered Users

Just going to go ahead and agree with the other mamas... the important things are omega-3s and B-12, and calcium if you don't eat much dairy. I like to just put ground flax seed in my oatmeal or on some other food throughout the day for omega-3s since I've had a really hard time finding the algae omega-3 supplements. And for B-12 from what I understand, it's better to get it in some kind of chewable form. I'm actually eating Total cereal right now that has B-12 in it... and also has calcium since I'm currently trying to go milk free to see if dd might have a milk sensitivity.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:47 AM   #10
Dahlea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm ovo-lacto and will be breastfeeding. I'm taking a vegetarian DHA supplement (they're made from algae) and a Bcomplex along with my regular vitamins.
As long as you get those vitamins, and you're eating a healthy diet, you're good to go!
Mama to Zanthias (10/13) and wife to Drew, love of my life I offer snap services (including converting BGs and similar to snaps)! I sell Longaberger baskets! Join SB to earn giftcards! Due 8/10 with a surprise!
Dahlea is offline   Reply With Quote