Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-26-2006, 09:28 AM   #1
babyroosboutique
Banned

My Mood:
Bfing while PG- aversion(mine)

Hi all,
I need a little advice, or possibly just encouragement.
For some reason I have an aversion to nursing ds while I am pregnant. I am 18weeks along, and ds is 15months, and he started to wean himself, only nursing maybe once a day, at night when he goes to bed. So my supply all but disappeared. ( i tried to express some milk the other day, and all I got was the colostrum looking yellowey stuff.) He seemed to have an aversion to the taste of the milk, he would nurse for less than a minute, then ask for his sippy cup.
Now all of a sudden, he is wanting to nurse ALOT more, like ripping at my shirt every few hours! I have been diverting him by offering him milk in a sippy, and it seems to work, without a fuss, but then a few hrs later, he's at it again!
I figure that this is a normal regression, but I cant help to try to stop him!
I am really turned off by it , but at the same time feel guilty about the way that I feel.
Possible reason..... I am scared to death of tandem nursing, I am having another c-section( another topic completely) and the thought of having the pain, and two babies nursing, scares me !!

So, I need to hear encouragement, advice, and support as to is this all normal, should I continue to try to wean him, (which I thought he was doing on his own), or should I let him nurse?
Also, if he starts nursing again more often, will my milk supply go back up to meet his needs?

thanks for any response, and for reading my long post!!

Advertisement

babyroosboutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:39 AM   #2
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

Re: Bfing while PG- aversion(mine)

to you. I'm 19 weeks and 2 yo DD is still nursing some although she's dropped down quite a bit. And there are definitely days when I just wish she'd stop asking, and then days when the thought of her stopping makes me sad. I think it's all pretty normal.

I'm not an expert, but I'm fairly certain that your dc increasing nursing will not make you produce more milk since I think at this point that's all controlled by the placenta & the hormones your body is producing rather than the supply-demand relationship it used to be.

I think you have to do whatever you think is best for you and your DS - be that weaning or tandem nursing or whatever. I don't know if there's anything to do to make the transition easier though.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:09 AM   #3
Shaineinok
Registered Users
seller

((hugs)) its naturally a very confusing time. I had lot of mixed feelings also. My suggestion is to decide what you need to do and then do it gently and with lots of love. If its to wean then try to do so gradually and it will be less a shock to either of you. I ended up going ahead and tandam nursing my two but its not something everyone can do. Take care of yourself and your little ones.
Shaineinok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 01:53 PM   #4
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I nursed while pregnant many times. Each kid did wean at some point in the next pregnancy. Its onlyTHIS pregnancy that nursing is making my skin crawl. I keep at it, he needs the milk and its good for him. Sometimes we have a session that goes well and I try to REALLY savor that for the times when it feels weird. I sometimes encourage shorter sessions because I am uncomfortable. I wish it was easier (more pleasant). No advice, just