Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-02-2009, 03:52 PM   #21
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tutorial: PFs from Tshirts

No, you don't need an embellishment. You can just sew two lines where the embellishment would be.

I've also heard from other people that you may not need 4x8x4 layers, that some people use as little as 2x4x2, and if you are using a sweatshirt instead of a tshirt, maybe even make it a 2 layer preflat.

Advertisement

Old 03-02-2009, 04:08 PM   #22
Roseplummer
Registered Users

My Mood:

Cool thanks I will have to try it most likely this weekend.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:15 PM   #23
fawnlovesjasper
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

OMG.. I never bumped into this before.. first of all very creative!! Great job mama... but most important.. I LOVE that pocket on his little bum.. that is tooo stinkin' cute!!
Old 03-03-2009, 01:59 AM   #24
liberty4all
Registered Users

My Mood:

I love the pocket!
Old 05-09-2009, 01:22 PM   #25
yesterdayicried
Registered Users
k**ro**ns26
seller
seller

Oh, I need to revive this thread, great tutorial! Off to Goodwill after nap time to buy some old shirts.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:19 AM   #26
carsonsmommy1108
Registered Users
seller

Subbing! you rock, I can't wait to try it out!
carsonsmommy1108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:07 AM   #27
epernat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OMG OMG OMG!!! I just logged on to ask how I can do this! Thanks so much, I can't wait to get started!
Old 06-29-2009, 08:27 AM   #28
petuniajo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Cool! I think I'm going to try this, but will the snappi really stick to an old tshirt? I'm thinking of using some of my hubby's old rock-band tshirts that have holes in them...
Old 07-12-2009, 01:40 AM   #29
Blondie87
Registered Users
Formerly: FosterMom87
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am SO excited to try this. Thank you!!
Blondie87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:19 AM   #30
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm a little confused if someone doesn't mind clarifying a few things

First, I see that I sew the outer pieces of the PF together, leaving one side completely open (is that right?) to form a pillowcase like piece. I then place the 2x6x2 PF made from scraps inside this piece. But nowhere do I see anything about sewing these two pieces together, except for when you sew the embellishment on. Is this right or did I miss something?

Why wouldn't you sew the scrap PF onto one outer fabric piece, then sew all layers together, T&T, and add the embellishment?

Next, I'm confused about the bolded statement below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylchoo View Post
Pin on your embellishing fabric. Because it is a woven, it's not going to stretch, pucker, or pull as you sew and sort of act as a stabilizer. This way, if you are not a highly skilled sewer, you will have fewer mistakes on the outside of the PF:

Sew on the embellishing fabric with a ballpoint needle and zig zag stitch. One side of the stitch goes into the embellishment, one side into the knit only. Look, I went slowly and carefully and no visible flaws from the outside!
Say I have the almost completed PF: the top layer that the embellishment will be on in facing up, the scrap PF is in the middle, and then the bottom outer piece is facing down. Basically, you have a completed PF minus closing the open seams, really. When I go to sew the embellishment on do I just sew directly on top, down the center? Or am I only supposed to sew through the top, outer layer? If I don't sew through all the layers, again, how will the inside scrap PF become attached?

And Finally;
Quote:
Optional steps: Your bottom seam is still open on each side, only sewn together in the middle. I don't sew it shut in this one, because with the stripes the stitching will show. You can sew them shut if you want. You can also topstitch the other three edges if you want. Just be sure if you do any of this that it is zig zag stitch, or it won't stretch when you put it on.
Why is the open seam only sewn shut in the middle? I missed this part! Wouldn't having open seams like that cause leak issues or some other problem? If the scrap PF isn't sewn in couldn't it come out in the wash through this open seam?

I've also never heard that about the zigzag stitch and stretching. If I topstitch with a straight stitch my PF won't be stretchy anymore?

I'm sorry for so many questions, but I want to make some PF's and this seems to be the easiest way, at least it will be hopefully once I get these questions clarified. I thought that it would be made like this:

Cut the outer rectangles from the tshirt. Make the scrap 2x6x2 pf. Stack layers together like so: bottom outer facing up, top outer facing down (right sides together), and scrap PF on top facing up. Sew layers together, leaving an opening to turn. Turn rightside out, and topstitch all the way around, closing the open seam. Lastly, place the embellishment piece on top, in the center, and sew on. Voila! Is this wrong?

Oh, and what size rectangles do you ladies usually use for a normal PF?

Thanks so, so much!

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote