Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-06-2009, 06:39 PM   #31
mlc509
Registered Users

Re: Tutorial: PFs from Tshirts

Bumping for these last few questions - I'd like to know too!

Advertisement

mlc509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:07 PM   #32
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok, sorry, I see how that can be confusing. I wrote this a while back, so I had to scramble my brain to remember what I did.

So when I sew the embellishments on, I am sewing though ALL the layers of the PF, not just the top. And I am sewing the embellishment on all four sides so it will stay put. You could certainly do it the way you suggested, attaching them on the inside at the top, but it may affect the stretch at the top. That is part of the reason I don't sew the entire bottom shut too. I did that with one, and it did kill some of the stretch. But that may depend on the knit you use, IDK.

I will admit by not securing the inner piece at the top and bottom, on one or two them I have had some issues with the inner piece laying flat inside the "pillowcase" after it's been washed a few times, but most of them stay flat on their own.

As for the zig zag question, let me see if I have a closeup pic and I will see if that will clear things up.

And the size I made resulted in a 14x16 PF, which has fit my DS from about 5MO to now 15MO, and still has room to grow.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:19 PM   #33
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Okay, here is a pic with the zig zag stitch around the embellishment. One side of the stitch goes into the embellishment AND the PF, the other goes into the PF only.

If you do it this way, then the edge of the embellishment fabric will not wear down and fray with use as fast. If you didn't "overlap" the stitch like this, the edge of the embellishment may fade and even develop small holes faster than it would otherwise. I have some ten months old that still look good that were sewn this way, and I made some regular embellished PFs before I learned this trick that had these issues after only three months of use.

As for straight vs zigzag, it does kill the stretch some in knit IME and then you have the wear on the embellishment issue.

Does that make sense? Did I answer the questions correctly? Like I said it's been a while, LOL.

Again, the Fern and Faerie method is the best way to make them. I just couldn't do it with what I had on hand, and I like to avoid the "fake" serge on knits in general.

Last edited by cherylchoo; 08-06-2009 at 07:21 PM.
cherylchoo is offline   Reply With Quote