Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-14-2008, 07:18 AM   #381
Lee
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: malicious software trying to install on my computer while surfing on DS 2x today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trishalynn View Post
so I'm finding it rather amusing (not quite the right word, but couldn't think of a better one) that no one has come by to explain why there was no email or anything sent out to warn members about this virus? after all its because of these members that you're pockets are lined, you'd think we'd at least get the courtesy of an email warning that the virus' were on here, it might have saved a lot of people a lot of money and stress. Its obvious that there is the ability to send a mass email out as i just got one inviting me to a sister site. So anyone care to explain why that couldn't have been done?
We were so busy with trying to solve the problem (it basically took all of John's week to get to the bottom of this) and we never considered taking out the eral hours of time prep and send a mass email. That likely also would have caused greater concern than was necessary to the thousands of DSers that never knew there was a problem in the first place.

Advertisement

Old 10-14-2008, 08:24 AM   #382
KristyB
Registered Users

Re: malicious software trying to install on my computer while surfing on DS 2x today.

I also agree with the pp - I heard of a few people whos computers were destroyed. My husband made a good point, why not post something on the main page so as soon as you came onto the site you were made aware of what was happening?

That would have taken only a few minutes, and I am sure any admin could have done it.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:29 AM   #383
Carly's Mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
We were so busy with trying to solve the problem (it basically took all of John's week to get to the bottom of this) and we never considered taking out the eral hours of time prep and send a mass email. That likely also would have caused greater concern than was necessary to the thousands of DSers that never knew there was a problem in the first place.
Lee, I think you have a responsibility to your community to warn them when you KNOW something is wrong.

Analogy: State releases an inmate (sexual predator) from jail, inmate winds up living in your (general "your") neighborhood. They don't tell you and something happens to a child. State says, "Oh, warn you? Nah...we didn't want to cause a greater concern than necessary to all you parents that never knew that inmate was here in the first place."
Old 10-14-2008, 10:21 AM   #384
Shanna
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Really? That's interesting considering I got a SPAM email this weekend about DS's new "sister site". Seems someone has the time to spam the new startup, but not to address the virus issue and continue to put DS Mama's in jeopardy.

and btw, I'm only on now b/c I'm still of my still infected laptop while my antivirus software people analyze my logs to find this thing. Still very, very at having to spend so much time on this issue.
Shanna, loving wife and Mommy to Tanner 7-03, Jenna 4-05, our sweetheart in heaven, and Nathan 1-08. Check out my ETSY shop nicely stocked with wetbags for diapers AND kitchen, "unpaper" towels galore and fun burlap accessories for the home!
Old 10-14-2008, 10:23 AM   #385
tinyblackdot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

um....i have been infected!

WHat in the h*ll do i do?
Old 10-14-2008, 10:39 AM   #386
BabyBluePanda
Registered Users

My Mood:

Basically the virus wiped out my net adapter on my mother board. 4 days later and a huge amount of time spent each day and $30 for a new adapter I can finally get back on the internet. I was certain I was going to have to shell out hundreds of dollars getting this thing fixed. Has the virus been resolved? Is it save to be on here yet?
Old 10-14-2008, 11:14 AM   #387
Lee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yes, site is clean.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:44 PM   #388
tinyblackdot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

so what do we do if we have something on our computer?
Old 10-15-2008, 09:09 AM   #389
SunflowerKids
Registered Users
Formerly: mysunflowerboys
seller

My Mood:

I want to add my experience to this thread. I had the same thing happen to our computer last week- attacked by a trojan horse virus picked up while surfing DS. We got the virus wiped out and our computer seemed fine again. Then Saturday we got a note from our old bank account (still an active account, just not used much) that 3 transaction in London were made, overdrawing the account. Well, we aren't in London! We couldn't get ahold of anyone at the bank because of the weekend.

Monday, our local bank called (even though it was a holiday) and said that several suspect transactions on our account came thru in Florida, again overdrawing our account. I assured them that we were not in FL and that our account must of been hacked. Tuesday, my DH had to contact both banks and close out our accounts and file disputes.

We believe that the virus got access to our PayPal account and our account information was stolen. PayPal is the only internet place that we had both accounts listed for funds.

Our computer is fine and we got the charges removed on our accounts, but this has certainly made us feel very vunerable! I want to be able to trust that I can use PayPal and DiaperSwappers, but this incident makes me very cautious.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:16 AM   #390
Rainshine Designs
formerly "meganbathgate"
seller
seller

My Mood:

I didn't have any issues during the "infected" period because my Norton antivirus was doing its job well but as I'm on here today I'm finding that as I click the back button, I'm being directed to weird sites...anyone else?

Enter code DSMAMA at checkout to receive 5% off your order.
Closed Thread