Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-28-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
tnrunnergirl
Registered Users

My Mood:
When to start?

DD1 is 2yrs, 4 months and is seemingly disinterested in putting her pees and poops in the potty. In fact, if we ask her if she has a poop in her diaper she will lie b/c she doesn't want to stop playing for a diaper change.

My friends who have successfully potty-trained their kids waited until closer to age 3 and did it in one weekend. "Bootcamp" they called it. They said NO false starts and once you start to PT do NOT go back into dipes, not even Pull Ups.

Dh and I are so done with her peanut butter poops! What are some "signs" to be looking for? What books can you recommend?

Advertisement

tnrunnergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 04:23 PM   #2
sheldensb
Registered Users
seller

Re: When to start?

Basically what I've read and figured out on my own is that if your kiddo doesn't mind being in their wet or poopy diaper, then they're probably not ready to potty train. The whole point of PT'ing is to teach them to learn the signals they're body is giving them (i.e. "I need to go pee!") and if your lo could care less about being wet, then they're probably not going to care about telling you when they need to go. I found with my daughter that the more I pushed, the more she resisted, and honestly, it wasn't until about a month ago that she truly started being potty-trained. She's still not pooping in the potty, but can go all day, through naps, in underwear. I found that using "trainers" and Pull-ups didn't help at all--she just considered them "diapers" and would pee/poop in them. It wasn't until she had several accidents in her panties that she started stopping herself from play to use the restroom. We started trying to PT when she was 2, but here it is a year later and she's now 38 months and finally doing it. Just give her time and all you can do is offer the potty; ultimately she'll have to be the one to initiate the act.
sheldensb is offline   Reply With Quote