Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-29-2008, 11:57 AM   #1
earthmamastyle
Registered Users
Formerly: barbaramommyof2
seller

My Mood:
Red face Acid reflux support

I have a 6 week old and he has acid reflux. He is on zantac twice a day. I want to hear other mama's story's. I feel bad putting him on meds this early in life, but it seems to be helping. Any advice, support, story's?? thanks mama's

Advertisement

earthmamastyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:51 PM   #2
mama2logan&evan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Acid reflux support

My youngest had reflux and was on Zantac from the time he was 3 months old until he was 9 months old. From very young he would spit up after every feeding and he never wanted to sleep. Eventually the spit up became more and more frequent so I took him into the ped's office. He referred us to get an upper gi at Children's where they confirmed reflux. Once we switched his formula and started him on the meds our lives were all soooo much better! Around 8 months old I started dropping doses of the meds and by 9 months he was completely off of them and he hasn't had any problems since.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:53 PM   #3
earthmamastyle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks mama, it is comforting to know that it does end and that they do get better!
Old 09-29-2008, 01:07 PM   #4
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe I shouldn't post, lol, as mine isn't as encouraging.... Dd1 had both reflux and a lot of food intolerances/sensitivities, and was on Prevacid and hypoallergenic formula from a few months old until a year. Then she was on a bunch of different things (more hypoallergenic formula, rice milk, toddler soy formula, etc) but off the Prevacid by about a year. She kept "spitting up" (it just doesn't fit that word when it's in such huge amounts constantly) until about 13 months old. We had to bring three spare outfits whenever we left the house, basically, if we wanted her to look relatively clean, as she would spew all the time, especially being curled in her car seat. We thought it was better after 13 months but we recently realized that a lot of her trouble sleeping, crying at night, and random midnight vomiting sessions were a big-kid version of her reflux flaring up. Since she is a tummy sleeper it's hard to have her upright (but she will when it gets bad), and we just got Prevacid called in for her to start it up again. We use Emetrol to help a little bit until the Prevacid was called in.
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:19 PM   #5
earthmamastyle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am so sorry! Thank you for telling me your story! It's comforting to know that we are all not alone when we are having trouble. I hope it gets better for you and that your LO eventually outgrows this though!
Old 09-29-2008, 03:06 PM   #6
meganc
Registered Users

My Mood:

Reflux is a horrible, horrible thing.

My daughter had issues with her trachea and esophagus when she was born, and apparently any kid with this condition is going to have reflux issues.

And did she ever.

She would not eat anything from the time she was born until she was 7 months old when she finally went on prevacid (had tried other meds and other formulas to try to ease the reflux). Finally at 7 months we were able to wean off of the feeding tube and onto a bottle. Prevacid was a miracle drug for us.

Since that time we also have discovered milk and soy allergies, so those things don't help either.

She's 3 now, and is still on the prevacid. I was in panic mode last week because we have one of those stinking mail order pharmacies and I was afraid she was going to run out before the next batch came. Thankfully it came in time.
meganc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:01 PM   #7
*Alabamamom*
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

My youngest was dx at 5 weeks old after an upper GI. I wanted to finally find out why ALL my kids puked so badly ( I am talking projectile all over the place).. I knew that just couldn't be normal. I just make babies with it I guess. He was put on zantac twice a day and by the time he was 10 months old he stopped throwing up altogether and he hasn't needed any meds since he was able to sit up on his own (about 6 months).. good luck.. I know it's worrisome.. I promise it gets better with time..
Granna to two amazing grandsons!! <3
*Alabamamom* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:15 PM   #8
earthmamastyle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Whats the diff. between prevacid and zantac?

Thanks again for all your responses!!
Old 09-29-2008, 04:25 PM   #9
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

My youngest had reflux, she also couldn't have any dairy(which is a big cause of infant reflux).

She was put on Zantac twice a day, but it didn't help by itself. She had to have Gripe water too otherwise she'd scream for 3 days. I gave the gripe water at night.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:01 PM   #10
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaramommyof2 View Post
Whats the diff. between prevacid and zantac?

Thanks again for all your responses!!
They are different medicines, but one main thing about Zantac is it's super weight-sensitive. So you might have to go back in to have it redosed after growth spurts and weight gains. My doc never even tried Zantac, went straight for the good stuff (tried Reglan once, BAD idea, horrible side effects).
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote