Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-27-2006, 06:32 PM   #11
kecmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Biting!! Talk me down!!

Not sure abt anymore teeth b/c there's no tell tale bumps/white/etc... but stranger things have happened. The pulling her in doesn't seem to work well either. She does let go but then she's immediately bites again. :roll. Still trying here....

Advertisement

Old 10-29-2006, 05:37 PM   #12
mandikaake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is my problem too! My 7 month old has 3 teeth and at least 2 coming in. They all seem to come at once with this little guy. Yes it seems like he only does it when he's teething. Thanks for all the advice mama's!
mandikaake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:08 PM   #13
momx2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkOnDemand View Post
A lot of children bite or chew on their binkies & bottles when they are cutting new teeth - she might be teething. When Liam has bitten in the past I pull him in very tightly so that his nose is covered. It is unpleasant to not be able to breathe so he lets go and cries, then nurses normally. He hasn't bitten in a long time, but the last time he did it over a 2 week period, and then he had 3 new molars.
this worked very well for me too. My dd stopped biting me once I smushed her face and nose into my boob....she lets go and then I sat her up and told her, "no biting!" and then settled her back down to nurse. It did take a few times, but when she was hungry or wanting to nurse, she got the picture fast.

oh...and there were a few times that as soon as I put her back on the breast, she bit me again! .. so she would get her face and nose smushed again, sat up and a "no biting" thing again and resettled again. I think one day it took maybe 4 times of doing that before she actually stopped biting and just nursed. After that she stopped biting.

hth mama!!! and gl!

Last edited by momx2; 10-30-2006 at 04:10 PM.
momx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 05:57 PM   #14
valerieca
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't give up...but do be firm. At 1 yr. old....baby will know you mean business about No Biting.

What worked for me was to firmly say: "No Biting" the first time they bit...and if they did it again that same nursing session...they were immediately set down on the floor and the nursing session was over.

You can also hand them something that they *can* bite when you set them down.

They learned real quick that if they wanted to nurse...there would be no biting.

I know it can feel good to their gums and sometimes they are frustrated with teething, or slow let down, or a variety of other things...but they have to know it hurts and that they can bite other things.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:04 PM   #15
kecmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the suggestions mommas-
I've given it the old college try and she's still completely refusing. She is now shaking her head no when asked if she wants milk. (knowing that milk is nursing) I am afraid that she's made her choice and called it quits. I am happy that we made it almost 13 months; but still a bit sad that it's over. I've been told many times to listen to my heart. Since dd and my heart are one in the same, it's loud and clear.
I hope that all the suggestions help other mommas though!
Very Appreciatively,