Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-29-2008, 10:00 AM   #1
LissaB
Registered Users

My Mood:
Crib mattress cover

For those who don't know, I'm now entering my 9th month of pregnancy with our first child and am frantically running around trying to get everything finished and ready for our little one to arrive!

I've heard that there might possibly be a link to SIDS through fumes released from crib mattresses. Also, I've been given a crib and mattress from a previous co-worker. They look and feel like they are in great shape, sturdy, and have served her well. The mattress still looks and feels new, but they were being stored in her garage when we came by to pick them up. I think she said they were in the basement before and they were cleaning things up and put them there until they could get rid of them. Originally I didn't want to use a used mattress, but this one is in seriously great shape and looks practically new.

The mattress already has some kind of waterproof/plasticy feeling coating on the exterior which we wiped down with a bleach/water solution, however I want to cover the whole thing with some kind of cover that will be protective and keep anything in the mattress inside and away from the baby. I want to do this to protect the baby from a possible SIDS risk, but also because the mattress is used and was stored in a garage.

Did any of you cover your baby's mattress? Do you recommend any particular covers that would really seal it well? Do you think I'm over-reacting with this?

Thanks!

Lissa

Advertisement

LissaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:27 AM   #2
BC Mom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Crib mattress cover

Although my baby sleeps with us she does nap in her crib. I use organic bamboo sheets and I'm currently looking for a matress cover as well. I know that non organic 'mainstream' crib matresses give off some toxic fumes. There are many types of covers made of organic cotton or wool. Since your matress is used I bet a lot of the fumes have burned off already. Any natural product store in your area will most likley have a cover. Alternatly you could go buy an organic matress. You are not overreacting!

My local store is www.goodplanet.com
The matress covers are $189 and the matresses are $399
Old 09-29-2008, 10:30 AM   #3
MisanthropeKitty
Registered Users

i have one of those waterproof mattress protectors covering my mattress. my son only uses his crib for naps though
MisanthropeKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:12 PM   #4
nini02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We got a BabeSafe cover and wrapped our son's crib mattress before he was born. The theory behind it does make sense, and for $32, it was worth it. Just in case they are right.

That being said, my son never slept in his crib, ever, until we side-carred it to our bed a couple months ago.

Stephanie, mommy to Avery and Iona

Swagbucks / ZoomBucks / Varolo
nini02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:45 PM   #5
LissaB
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks for the responses. That BabeSafe cover looks like exactly what I'm looking for...

Lissa
LissaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:05 AM   #6
NessaL_07
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nini02 View Post
We got a BabeSafe cover and wrapped our son's crib mattress before he was born. The theory behind it does make sense, and for $32, it was worth it. Just in case they are right.

That being said, my son never slept in his crib, ever, until we side-carred it to our bed a couple months ago.
I think Im going to have to get this, cuz as much as Id like a better mattress, I just can afford the $400
Old 09-30-2008, 12:27 PM   #7
jazter
Registered Users
seller

We got our crib mattress from my sweetie's cousin, it looked barely used. I think I put a vinyl cover on that I'd been given, and a wool cover over that for accidents. Frankly, he spent about 4 seconds in his crib until he was 6 months old that I didn't worry about vinyl off gassing.
jazter is offline   Reply With Quote