Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2008, 12:36 PM   #1
angalynn23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Will he wean after 2 weeks? ***update

Okay I need help from all of you experienced mama's! I have to go away for training (for work) in September (the day after DS turns 1). I do NOT want to stop nursing, but I will be gone for 2 weeks and I am so afraid he won't nurse when I get back. He get's solid foods and table foods right now. He still nurses about 5 times a day. I am leaving Sept 14th. If I'm going to wean him I was thinking to start the process August 1st so that I would have a month and a half to do it.

What do you guys think? Will he not want to nurse when I get back? I was planning to keep my milk in by pumping and trying to nurse him when I get back. I am concerned about 2 things. If I just leave and he is not weaned I am afraid he will be traumatized by the abrupt weaning. I am also afraid he will WEAN altogher and won't nurse when I get back.

He goes to daycare during the day and has no problem taking a bottle (even from me) He is used to being away from me during the day, but not longer than that. My husband has np getting him to sleep at night by bottle feeding and comforting him (he walks around holding him and sort of bounces)

What would you do? Wean him early so he can adjust to my absence better? Or just go and hope he nurses when he sees me again?

TIA!

Update 09/29/08

Okay so I went on my trip and everyone made it through okay. My son still wanted to nurse (although he does not initiate it himself) but my supply has gone to pretty much nothing. I pumped in the morning, at lunch, When I got home and at night before bed. This was the best I could do. As the week went along (week #2) I started to get lazy and would miss a pump session here and there. Now I have hardly any milk. Although I partly wonder if it could be related to the Zirtec I was taking? (allergy pill) Is that something that would reduce my supply? Anyone know? Any hope of getting it back? If I just nurse him at night (once a day) will my milk stay in enough to have that one nursing session? I've never nursed a baby over 1 before so this is now all new to me.

Advertisement

Last edited by angalynn23; 09-29-2008 at 06:38 PM.
angalynn23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 01:25 PM   #2
shel*bel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Will he wean after 2 weeks?

I feel for you! I (thankfully) have never been in this position, but I think as long as you have enough milk in the freezer for him while you're away... I would think that he'd be so happy to see you again after two weeks that he'd love to snuggle and nurse the moment you get home! Good luck!
Old 07-28-2008, 09:59 AM   #3
tigerstripes
Registered Users

If you want to keep the nursing up, you should pump while you're away and then make sure you offer it lots when you get back. Most babies will naturally wean after this separation, but you can encourage them to keep going.
tigerstripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:42 PM   #4
angalynn23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hope he doesn't wean!
Old 07-29-2008, 12:37 AM   #5
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller

My Mood:

holy sheep mama, i could have wrote this exact same post! I have school i have to do for my Reserve unit here in 2 wks and it is also 2 wks long...I'm praying that she won't completely wean. Faith will be 14 months old...I am pumping and saving in the freezer and also taking my pump with me to pump and dump while i'm away to keep some sort of supply. no words of advice just wish you luck and I hope it works out!
Old 07-29-2008, 07:30 PM   #6
angalynn23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As the time gets closer I think about it more and more. I wanted to nurse until he lost interest which I didn't think would be before he was at least 2! I feel a little selfish about it... like I should wean before I go to spare him the hard adjustment period, but honestly I want to just go (and pump) and cross my fingers when I get back. Is that totally selfish?
Old 07-29-2008, 09:48 PM   #7
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

First I wanted to ask if there is any way that someone could come with you and keep the baby while you are away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieLyn View Post
holy sheep mama, i could have wrote this exact same post! I have school i have to do for my Reserve unit here in 2 wks and it is also 2 wks long...I'm praying that she won't completely wean. Faith will be 14 months old...I am pumping and saving in the freezer and also taking my pump with me to pump and dump while i'm away to keep some sort of supply. no words of advice just wish you luck and I hope it works out!
Why are you going to pump and dump ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by angalynn23 View Post
As the time gets closer I think about it more and more. I wanted to nurse until he lost interest which I didn't think would be before he was at least 2! I feel a little selfish about it... like I should wean before I go to spare him the hard adjustment period, but honestly I want to just go (and pump) and cross my fingers when I get back. Is that totally selfish?
NO you are not selfish! I think that you should provide BM in a sippy or bottle and pump while you are gone. I think once you get home, your boy will LOVE and WANT to nurse. Also, when you talk to him on the phone, make sure that you talk about nursing as soon as you get back home! Talk to him about it in his terms (AKA nanna's or breast or whatever he calls nursing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shel*bel View Post
I feel for you! I (thankfully) have never been in this position, but I think as long as you have enough milk in the freezer for him while you're away... I would think that he'd be so happy to see you again after two weeks that he'd love to snuggle and nurse the moment you get home! Good luck!
Agreed! Don't wean him. Once you do it, it is hard if not impossible to go back!

DOULA in training!

HCG Diet works! Ask me how.
greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:26 PM   #8
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller

My Mood:

Why are you going to pump and dump ?

I will pumping and dumping while I'm away because I'm pretty sure I will have no place to store the milk. I really hate to put perfectly good milk to waste but I will probably have no other choice.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:36 AM   #9
angalynn23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm not going to wean ahead of time. I REALLY want to keep nursing. There is not way for me to come home during that time (looked into that) or to have someone come with me. I was thinking to bring him down and put him in a daycare down there, but now we have "business dinner" reservation (mandatory) with the president of our company on 3 nights during the two weeks. What would I do with him then? Ugh... it's just not going to work to bring him.

I am going to ask the hotel to let me use their freezer to store my milk
Old 09-29-2008, 06:39 PM   #10
angalynn23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Will he wean after 2 weeks? ***update

bump for update in original post