Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-30-2008, 09:50 AM   #1
nemawei
DS Addict!
seller

My Mood:
duct, mastitis or bad latch?

On Friday night one breast was very sore and I felt a tiny lump. The breast was sore at the lump as well as the nipple. I nursed on that side and the lump went away. Sat I nursed in the morning but not as frequently as normal during the day because it was my wedding reception.

Sunday during the day I nursed that side frequently and also pumped twice. There was not much pain on Sunday.

Last night and this morning the breast is very painful. I did not nurse that side that much during the night since it was so painful. This morning I nursed with a nipple shield and now I am pumping. I felt the lump again this morning, but it is gone since I pumped. It did not go away after nursing, but I nursed with a nipple shield, so is it possible that DD couldn't get the milk out? (She wasn't complaining, but she loves nursing)

DD is 7 months old. She has 3 teeth that have popped out in the past 9 days. The pain on this breast started about a week ago, the same day the 2 bottom teeth came out. We have never had latch issues before, but I'm wondering if she has changed her latch due to the teeth and that is what is causing the pain? (Then the pain leads me to nurse less on that side causing other problems?)

It seems to hurt less when I make an effort to get as much breast in her mouth as possible. She seems to be wanting to just be on the end of my breast. She did not like me taking her off and putting her on again everytime she went to the end of my nipple. I am afraid of causing a nursing strike.

Do I need to see a doctor or should I just keep nursing? If I should see a doctor, should I see my OBGYN or my PCP?

I did leave a message for my lactation consultants but they haven't called me back yet.

Edit: If it was a plugged duct, would my nipple be sore as well? My nipple is really sore .. like day 3 of nursing sore! Reminds me of when we had thrush around week 2.

Advertisement

Last edited by nemawei; 09-30-2008 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Added question
nemawei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:08 AM   #2
AnnaG01
Registered Users
seller

Re: duct, mastitis or bad latch?

I would see my OB that is who I always call when I have nursing problems and questions.

Sounds like it could be a nasty plugged duct since it goes away when you empty the breast. I would offer that side FIRST and use it more frequently even if it is painful. If you don't you can end up with an abscess like I have- the worst pain in my life.
Riley (6), Skyler (4) , Payton (2) & our new baby Quinn Mackenzie My Blog
AnnaG01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:39 PM   #3
earthmamastyle
Registered Users
Formerly: barbaramommyof2
seller

My Mood:
Re: duct, mastitis or bad latch?

I have had lumpos and pain/ soreness. as long as I am don't sleep on my side of the breast that hurts and nurse with that breast first it gets better. if it gets red and hot you should def. see your doc. I hope you feel better soon mama
earthmamastyle is offline   Reply With Quote