Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-30-2008, 10:04 PM   #11
nini02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How old was your LO.....

With DH - about 6 months he- wasn't comfortable with it until then, he had zero baby experience, and Avery was nursing pretty much constantly until then. I've left him with my mom a few times since he was about 10 months old, never for more than about 30 minutes. I'm not ready to be away from him for long yet, and he's not either.

Advertisement

Stephanie, mommy to Avery and Iona

Swagbucks / ZoomBucks / Varolo

Last edited by nini02; 09-30-2008 at 10:06 PM.
nini02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:10 PM   #12
Hopper Graphics
Registered Users
Formerly:PurlyQ
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had to leave dd at 2 weeks (had to return to school). She was with my dad, and I was 100% comfortable with him. To this day, he can put her to sleep just as well as I can. :-) With anyone else (aside from DH and my mom), it was several months. She still has never stayed with the majority of my family, her other set of grandparents, or non family members.

Allison - mama to Olivia and baby Nora my Valentine's day VBAC!
Hopper Graphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:15 PM   #13
SillyEllie
Registered Users
Formerly: ardygurly
seller

My Mood:

thanks for the advice. I tried telling my dh that she is way too young. He just doesn't understand. I mean, my parents understands that she's too young to be away from me. Just the mother-in-law pushes it and I see how she is with my lo when we are at her house and it makes me uncomfortable. She wants me and my dh to go see a movie this weekend so she can watch the baby but I already told him no!
Old 09-30-2008, 10:32 PM   #14
summersonshine0407
Registered Users
seller

I didn't feel comfrotable leaving my kids until they were around a year. I'm talking even with dh. It wasn't that I didn't trust anyone, it's that the thought of being away from them made me feel very uncomfortable. That feeling diminished until they were around a year when I started feeling comfortable leaving them with trusted people for short periods.

So, if you feel you're not ready to be separated from her, then don't let your MIL pressure you. Just tell them you don't feel comfortable being away from her yet. Tell her that for as many months as it takes. Let them think you're a loon, it's ok. Don't feel pressured to go against your mama gut.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:59 AM   #15
lotsuvlittles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Probably around the 8mo mark and that would be after I put them to bed and I would go grocery shopping. ALL BY MYSELF!
After each of them were done nursing or (over 1yr) my parents would keep them all overnight at their house so dh and I could have a nice night alone.

Back online and getting caught up. Thanks for your patience.
lotsuvlittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:02 AM   #16
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:

7.5 weeks old. At daycare. I had to go back to work full-time.

Aside from daycare... she was left alone, with a relative, when she was 10.5 months old. And that's only happened twice.

And she's been left alone with DP a couple of times, so I could go to the doctor or the grocery store.

She won't be staying overnight anywhere until she's, like 5 years old, at least. My DP's parents keep trying to push us into allowing her to go down with them to South Carolina for the winter ("Oh, she can come down for an entire month... she'd have a lot of fun."). Um, no. NO WAY!

Last edited by MW69842; 10-01-2008 at 04:05 AM.
MW69842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:09 AM   #17
bellarose4
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would never leave my kids with my MIL..but my mom has watched older DD since she was born. I trust my mom!
#3 12/05/10
bellarose4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:27 AM   #18
sprout18
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My LO is 5 months and hasn't been left with anyone but dh (max of 2 hrs with him). My family knows that unless there is an emergency they will not be left with anyone but dh until 1 yr. I wouldn't even leave the baby with dh until he was 3-4 months old!
Old 10-01-2008, 07:33 AM   #19
_Kristine
Registered Users

I left him with a friend when I went to my 6 week PP check. We left him with my parents overnight when he was 12 weeks old. And then at 15 weeks I went back to work.

He's 18 months, has stayed overnight with both sets of grandparents at least once, we tried a sitter once so we could go out to dinner - that did NOT go well. But the trusted people in our life - his daycare and our parents - no worries at ALL.

I spent a lot of time with my grandparents, even as a young child, and I think it was a fantastic experience. Definitely something we want our child(ren) to have as well.

Last edited by _Kristine; 10-01-2008 at 07:35 AM.
_Kristine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:51 AM   #20
huntingflower
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardygurly View Post
How old was your lo when you were away from them for the first time? Mine is about 6 weeks old and everytime I see my mother-in-law she's like "when can I have the baby?". I'm not ready to give her up yet and I don't know if that's bc I'm a control freak or the fact that my mother-in-law is kind of a ding dong. No seriously, she's one of those that thinks it's ok to let her 80lbs pit bull sniff my 1 month olds face! So I need some advice....
Based on this statement alone I don't think I would let her ever watch the child.

I let my MIL and FIL watch the little one when he was a few weeks old. DH and I went out for a nice dinner by ourselves. Then again his family are awesome and I trust their judgement 100%. Rai slept the entire time in one of their arms.

huntingflower is offline   Reply With Quote