Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-01-2008, 01:15 AM   #1
taralee2001
Registered Users

My Mood:
What have people said to you?

So what strange comments have you gotten about extended breastfeeding or even just breastfeeding in general.

For me one from DH takes the cake. I was still pregnant and he knew that I was going to breastfeed our baby. We were talking one day about it and I made some comment about nursing her past a year old. DH looked at me and said "You can't do that to her" and my response was huh and so he elaborated with "all kids that are breastfed past their first birthdays are just weird". I was quiet for a moment and then asked him "all of them?" to which he responded yes. It was that particular moment that I chose to share with him that my mom breastfed me till I was 2 1/2.

Poor guy was brought up in a very mainstream way, but he's slowly coming around. Now every time we talk about how long DD is going to be breastfed I just add another month or two in there. By the time she gets to a year old hopefully I will have changed his mind about it being odd. And if not, oh well I'll keep breastfeeding her anyway.

Advertisement

Old 10-01-2008, 01:48 AM   #2
heathenmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: What have people said to you?

Daddy's gonna be a soft touch with his little girl you know. By the time she gets here and starts smiling at him, SHE'LL be the one telling him what's what!

I wouldn't be too concerned. You can always hand Babe over and say "She wants to nurse, and since you don't want me to, YOU do it."
Luv my #2 With my Big Champ!

Unapologetic Godless Heathen and Proud of it!
heathenmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:25 AM   #3
HadassahSukkot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

LOL Heathenmommy! I did that to DH one day he kept saying the baby needed water, I said "No, he's hungry and unless you stop -- YOU will be the one nursing him!!" He gave me this deer in the headlights look and just walked away mumbling. LOL

HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:10 AM   #4
duck411
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've gotten all sorts of comments - even a friend laughingly joked when I was ranting on how my MIL thinks 6 months is long enough.... she said "Well, it ain't like you're gonna nurse her til she's 2" - - -and I was like uhmm.... yeah I am... as long as she still wants it... her jaw dropped... like really!? I've gotten alot more CRUDE comments than I have funny ones about me bf'ing because sooooo few women do it in KY. Too many around here don't even try it because they can cop the govt out of money for formula too easy... ... ok - stopping now b4 i hijack the thread and throw in a major vent.
Celia -Wife to Garrett. WAHM to Reese (5) & Brooke (3). EDD for #3 11-17-2013.
duck411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:29 AM   #5
angel95annie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is a great thread! I have a really good friend that made a comment that made me go "what did you say?" and I kinda giggled inside. I love hear dearly and feel bad that she was THIS misinformed.

Well, she heard about how you can overfeed a baby with a bottle and then told me "You can overfeed a baby by nursing too! There are some moms that whenever it cries for whatever reason they give it the boob and this can lead to overfeeding." She was serious. So without laughing I calmly told her that I have always nursed Lizzie on demand - which meant whenever she cried - and she has never been obese or overfed.

I wish people weren't so misinformed

Bloggin' bout my crazy life at Mama Dweeb!
angel95annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:37 AM   #6
txmom72
Registered Users

My Mood:

ODS had a cold one time, and my co-worker informed me that I couldn't nurse because the BM would make him more snotty.

A friend told me of a friend of hers who gained a lot of weight while BF. Curious as to why she was gaining weight, my friend said that she was drinking a gallon of whole milk a day. Again curious, I asked why. "Because you need it to make milk for the baby!" I nearly had to pick myself up off the floor over that one.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:54 AM   #7
ceilismom
Registered Users
seller

My uncle, who is a raging moron, once told me that his wife had to quit nursing their kids at 7 months because her milk became too thin. That was after he got done telling me what an enormous hassle cloth diapering is. Idoubt any of it was a huge hassle for him, since he was military and overseas most of the time his kids were babies, and he didn't actually do any of the feeding or diapering.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:58 AM   #8
taralee2001
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmom72 View Post
ODS had a cold one time, and my co-worker informed me that I couldn't nurse because the BM would make him more snotty.

A friend told me of a friend of hers who gained a lot of weight while BF. Curious as to why she was gaining weight, my friend said that she was drinking a gallon of whole milk a day. Again curious, I asked why. "Because you need it to make milk for the baby!" I nearly had to pick myself up off the floor over that one.

That is funny. I sometimes wonder how misinformation like that persists, but it seems to be more abundant than REAL information when it comes to breastfeeding. People get some crazy ideas in their head about it that's for sure.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:58 AM   #9
Layna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I never got any funny ones like some of the others.

DH did say something about me not BFing past one year and I just rolled my eyes at him. When we reached that point, it wasn't even an issue with him. Funny how they change!
Old 10-01-2008, 12:25 PM   #10
duck411
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taralee2001 View Post

That is funny. I sometimes wonder how misinformation like that persists, but it seems to be more abundant than REAL information when it comes to breastfeeding. People get some crazy ideas in their head about it that's for sure.

That's the truth! I am stunned at how misinformed ppl are how so many ppl don't even wanna be informed.
Celia -Wife to Garrett. WAHM to Reese (5) & Brooke (3). EDD for #3 11-17-2013.
duck411 is offline   Reply With Quote