Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-01-2008, 08:25 AM   #1
crystalannski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
First words?

How old were your kids when they stated saying their first words?

I took my son for his 15 month well visit and one of the questions the DR. asked was if my son had a vocabulary of 3-5 words. I thought about it and really couldn't give a definite answer, he talks all the time just not with real words . After talking it over with my husband that evening we realized that he only says 1 real word. Should I be concerned at the point? What is a normal age for first words? Is there anything I can do to help him along? I mean we talk to him, read to him and ask him questions all the time....

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

crystalannski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:27 AM   #2
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:
Re: First words?

My daughter was close to 8 months old. She said "baby" and "mama" pretty much on the same day. At 12 months, she was saying probably 25-30 words and now, at 14 months, is saying probably close to 50-60 words and some are two word "sentences."

She is advanced verbally though from what I'm being told (I didn't think it was not normal for a child to talk that young, but apparently it isn't necessarily "average," either).
MW69842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:28 AM   #3
Suzanne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When I took my oldest son to his 15 month appt, I told him that really, there were only a few words I couldunderstand, and that he wasn't even attempting more. He told me that he was sure the next time he saw me (18 months) I would be begging my son to be quiet!

That is EXACTLY what happened! He had a vocabulary explosion in three months, I'm sure your son will do the same

All you can do to help, is keep talking to him, make sure it's in a "grown"up voice, not baby talk.
Suzanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:56 AM   #4
ck510
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think he is normal. I think that boys just speak at a different rate then girls. Dd was speaking in 2-3 word sentences at 11 months old (although they were all the same lol) ds even though he spoke early did take longer then that. I wold think to that since he is trying to communicate you should be fine!
ck510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:10 PM   #5
crystalannski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne View Post
When I took my oldest son to his 15 month appt, I told him that really, there were only a few words I couldunderstand, and that he wasn't even attempting more. He told me that he was sure the next time he saw me (18 months) I would be begging my son to be quiet!

That is EXACTLY what happened! He had a vocabulary explosion in three months, I'm sure your son will do the same

All you can do to help, is keep talking to him, make sure it's in a "grown"up voice, not baby talk.
Thanks for letting me know that I'm not alone here! Hopefully thats exactly what my son will do, start talking more in the next few months. Thanks for posting, knowing that makes me feel much better
crystalannski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:24 PM   #6
jpicasso
Registered Users
seller

At 15 months my oldest DD hardly had any vocabulary aside from mama and dada. By 18 months she was saying quite a few words, and now at 2.5yo she doesn't stop talking

My second DD started talking very early and has quite an extensive vocabulary, but she learns from hanging out with her sister all day
Old 10-01-2008, 03:46 PM   #7
jazter
Registered Users
seller

My boy will be 18 months next week and he's not talking yet. I'm starting to get a little worried. He's babbling up a storm and he has two signs (we only use 3 or 4) so I'm not worried he'll get the concept at some point. Understanding us would be nice...
jazter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:52 PM   #8
2boysmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My ds2 said Uh OH at 9 mos and dada around a year and a while later other words came. Now at 18 mos he repeats the last word we say then adds "why" Like I said "you need socks" he said "socks, why?" I answered "your feet are cold" he says "cold why?" and on it goes. He has a 3 yo brother, can ya' tell? But at his 15 months they wanted him to do 3 body parts and we totally failed that one! They all start Kindegarten at 5 (or 6) and they're all pretty much even when they do. Don't worry about it!

In with Jesus for over 20 years!
2boysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:52 PM   #9
arussell1897
Banned

My Mood:

my son was 2 when he said his first "real" word. (mama)
he had 50% blockage in his right ear and once we got tubes, he started saying more. he will be 3 in december and still doesnt say full sentences.
arussell1897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:12 AM   #10
dogmom327
Registered Users
seller

8 months and it was mama followed at around 10 mo by dada. At 15 months he says yum-yum (anything he wants to eat), dat (that?), do (Duke? our dog) and that's about it. DH did just teach him to say gobble-gobble. I'd personally rather he taught him something useful but DH wanted him to be ready for Thanksgiving