Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2008, 02:45 PM   #11
Samandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: First words?

DS is will be one on the 14th, the only thing he will say is bye-bye while waving.
He babbles, yells, and screams but refuses to talk. He can say mama and dada but he will not. He will sign milk occasionally but sometimes he signs it when he means "more". My DD was so verbal we had people comment all the time on how well she could speak, but she didn't walk until she was fourteen months.

Advertisement

Old 10-02-2008, 03:20 PM   #12
nethridge
Registered Users
seller

Oh maaan some of these posts are getting me excited! I can't wait for my son's first word!
Old 10-02-2008, 03:24 PM   #13
vickieboggs
Registered
seller

My Mood:

my son is one and he can say hi, bye, oskar, mama, dada and thats about it.

I think your baby is fine.

Lots of WOOLIES for sale, knit, crochet, shorties and longies
vickieboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:51 PM   #14
veganf
Registered Users

My Mood:

It varies a lot. My kids:
#1 - 7 months
#2 - 23 months
#3 - around 12 months
Old 10-02-2008, 07:05 PM   #15
Swimmingly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD is 13 months, and I don't know if she has any "real" words.
Sometimes I can get her to say Uh-oh, but she doesn't do it unless I do it first. And DH thinks that isn't a "real" word anyway.
She will point to things and say Da, but ? And sometimes she isn't really even pointing at anything in particular (she isn't even looking in the direction she is pointing?!)
Other than that it is pretty much just babbling.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:16 PM   #16
crystalannski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmingly View Post
DD is 13 months, and I don't know if she has any "real" words.
Sometimes I can get her to say Uh-oh, but she doesn't do it unless I do it first. And DH thinks that isn't a "real" word anyway.
She will point to things and say Da, but ? And sometimes she isn't really even pointing at anything in particular (she isn't even looking in the direction she is pointing?!)
Other than that it is pretty much just babbling.
That sounds just like my son! I guess the fact that he thinks he is communicating is good enough for me at least for now... I guess I'll stop worrying. It's just with his family history we never really know so I'm always over analyzing (one of my more annoying habits ) everything.
crystalannski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:23 PM   #17
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Kearnan was an early talker. He said his first word at 9 months, not that impressive, but his first word was quickly followed by his first sentence. He was hyperlexic. At 18months he had a vocab of well over 500 words at spoke like a tiny 5yr old. However he regressed at that point and didn't speak again till almost 3yrs.

Tharen is probably more typical little boy. He was just barely understandable by 12months or so. By 18months he had several words and by two some short phrases. Now he never shuts up. He is almost three. Yes he says alot of stuff I can't totally understand, but I catch most of it, alot is just pronunciation error and trying to get out words that are too large for him. But he talks non-stop. I've never known a kid like him, he talks from the second he wakes up till he falls asleep. He just chatters, to me, to the dogs, to his daddy, to himself, to his toys, he keeps up a running commentary on everything.

Most pedis agree that as long as a child has met most of their developmental milestones, talking a little late isn't cause for concern. THere is a range for normal after all. Most Drs are not concerned at all if a child doesn't have any understandable words till 18months or so. And even then only a handful are expected. As long as the child is babbling alot, trying to make sounds and words, communicating non-verbally, making eye contact, interacting socially with parents ect. Unless you are seeing other concerning signs (not responding to you when you speak, not reacting to noises, not smiling at you, not communicating in anyway ect). I wouldn't be particularly concerned. Just talk to him. Talk to him about what you are doing around the house, label things for him, play with him. Just have fun. He sounds normal to me.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:28 AM   #18
armywife2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

my ds started intentionally saying mama at about 6 months. he just turned 1, and he says mama, dada, and dog. there are a few babbles that sound like words, but we're not sure yet if theyre intentional or not

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!
armywife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote