Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2016, 07:24 AM   #1
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Lets talk school lunch

Any good inexpensive tips for packing school lunch?

At ds's old school lunch was free for everyone but I am pretty sure his new school is not so kind and I may find it cheaper to pack his lunch. This is something that I have never done...at least not since I was in grade school lol so any good tips or tricks to making school lunches a success and not a stressful morning mess?

Would love to be able to get in the kitchen with him on like Sunday nights and prep his weeks lunches with him.

Thanks!

Advertisement

kmrotski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:35 AM   #2
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I get a basket to put in my fridge with snack size bags filled with pre-washed fruits and veggies, enough for the week. Their lunch usually consists of a sandwich/wrap/pita, crackers, fruit/veggie, cheese stick or yogurt. They get a milk at school.

I have to make it simple so they can pack it themselves if need be. If we have time the night before I have them pack everything but the sandwich.

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:45 AM   #3
erinofgod
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Lets talk school lunch

Sandwiches freeze well. I make them for the week for my husband and he grabs one out of the freezer in the morning for work.
Other things that are healthy, quick and easy for kids lunches are cheese sticks, berries, cherry tomatoes, mini cucumbers, corn on the cob, snack bags with trail mix, cereal, crackers etc. you could also make things like pasta salad, fruit salad, etc to portion out for a few days.
I think maybe packing lunches on both Sunday's and Wednesday's may be better. Fresh stuff probably won't be good through the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
erinofgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:48 AM   #4
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

Definitely looking for ideas as this is my first year packing a school lunch. We're also going to try to make bagged lunches for DH and I to take to work, because packing for 3 won't be all that much more work than packing for 1. Going to have to be more organized. So far I've started a spreadsheet that's got 1 row for every food item I've brainstormed up, and 3 columns for checkmarks (one for each person). That way I don't have to remember who likes mustard, who won't eat ___ flavor yogurt, etc, and I can also see what works for everyone if there isn't time for customization. I'm also hoping to be packing the lunches the night before, but we'll see how things go, it'll depend on when we can get the kids to go to sleep.
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:58 AM   #5
stevensmom
Administrator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son has the same thing every for lunch...sandwich (usually Han and cheese), bag of chips, yogurt or pudding, veggie, and juice box

Dh makes it in the morning when he makes his own.

And now he'll have to make dds too this year.

My son has never wanted a school lunch and never has had one (he starts 4th grade). I don't know if dd will be the same or not
BabyBoyBlueBoutique
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:31 PM   #6
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Great ideas.

Do y'all do school lunches for the price point being cheaper, or healthier, or because the kids ask for it?

I havent decided yet or crunched numbers but DS always asks to bring his lunch but if its cheaper to eat school lunch I honestly just cant bring myself to pack him a lunch and spend extra money when I dont need to. I mean, DH and I ate school lunch and we survived.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:49 PM   #7
Agla
Super Admin
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrotski View Post
Great ideas.

Do y'all do school lunches for the price point being cheaper, or healthier, or because the kids ask for it?

I havent decided yet or crunched numbers but DS always asks to bring his lunch but if its cheaper to eat school lunch I honestly just cant bring myself to pack him a lunch and spend extra money when I dont need to. I mean, DH and I ate school lunch and we survived.
Paid lunch is kind of pricey here ($3) so I do think it's cheaper to pack unless you get a reduced rate lunch.

I'll have one at school this year and he is old enough to pack his own. I'm thinking of how to organize all the thermos and other things he might need so he isn't searching for everything.

I'm getting ideas here on what to have on hand for him to throw in there.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:17 PM   #8
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It is $2.35 here, but I'm pretty sure we qualify for reduced since we are a single income family, which would be .40 cents.

I could see it being cheaper with multiple kids but with just one Im not sure it would be significantly cheaper to pack lunch.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:40 AM   #9
erinofgod
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We pack lunch and snacks bc it is healthier. We probably don't save $, but probably don't spend more either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
erinofgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:34 AM   #10
mamaberkhie
Registered Users
Formerly: 3L*****B*****s
seller
seller

DD was packing her first year but she started asking for the school lunch. So about a month or so in we got her signed up for that. This past year when DS started school, we had one eating school lunch and one packing. DS is diabetic so it's easier for me to pack his lunch. DD saw the lunches he was getting and decided she'd like to pack too

School lunches are definitely cheaper for us but I know our packed lunches are healthier. Some of the lunches in the menu made me I was already doing it for DS so we just started sending her with a packed lunch too. I know DS probably wishes he could get a school lunch, but I think it's more about doing what the other kids do and trying the "junk foods" they serve.

We use bento style lunch boxes and the kids absolutely love it. I like it because it helps regulate DS' blood sugar while he's at school. He isn't getting sandwich bread every day and I can send a variety of healthy foods and they're easy to pack.

They'll get cheese, fruits, veggies, some kind of meat, nuts, crackers, etc. sometimes we cook up some chicken on the grill and use that for the week. I think the variety appeals to them.