Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-25-2007, 07:54 PM   #101
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What's your fav. crock pot recipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkismama View Post
Ooh, thanks. I"ve tried this with the oats, but I never thought of trying it with other grains. And I wanted some varirety.
Sorry it's pretty much the same!
I do like this grain mixture:
1 cup barley
1/2 cup brown rice
1/2 cup steel cut oats

The buckwheat is good, too - I also did that as part of a mix as it has a stronger flavor, IMO.

I'm sure quinoa, whole wheat berries, etc. would also work, but I haven't tried them yet myself.

Advertisement

aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:08 PM   #102
ercvt
Registered Users

My Mood:

converting!! I found this on a google search because I got a great recipe for parmesan potatoes and wanted to do it in the crock pot...

Using a crockpot or slow cooker is very easy; just add the food, cover, turn on low heat and cook all day. But there are always more things to learn. The newest crockpots on the market come with divided liners, timers to adjust the cooking start time. The newer appliances seem to be hotter than models only a few years old, so it's best to learn how your particular crockpot cooks.

Do you know how to convert a regular recipe to crockpot cooking? How should ingredients be layered in the appliance? Can you cook rice or pasta in the crockpot? What about cakes or appetizer recipes? Let's answer these questions.

CONVERTING RECIPES
Many recipes can be converted to cooking in the crockpot. Soups and stews, of course, are natural slowcooker favorites. Casseroles and most meats benefit from the low temperatures and even cooking heat. Reduce the amount of liquid a recipe calls for, since liquids do not evaporate during crockpot cooking. However, if you are cooking rice, beans, or pasta, don't reduce the liquid called for. You generally need twice as much liquid as product to cook these ingredients. Here's a chart converting oven and stovetop cooking times to crockpot cooking times.

Oven cooking time-- 15-30min=4-6 low or 1.5-2.5 high
Oven cooking time-- 35-45min=6 TO 8 HOURS low 3 TO 4 HOURS high
Oven cooking time-- 50mn-3hours= 8 TO 16 HOURSlow 4 TO 6 HOURS high

I generally prefer cooking most raw meat and vegetable combination at least 8 hours on LOW. This gives the vegetables time to soften, the meat time to tenderize and all the flavors to blend.

PREPARING INGREDIENTS
Surprisingly, vegetables cook more slowly than meats in the moist heat of the slow cooker. So vegetables should be cut or chopped roughly the same size and placed in the bottom of the crockpot. Meat can be browned before being cooked, but that step isn't necessary. Browning helps reduce the fat content in large cuts of meat like roasts and also caramelizes the sugars in the meat, adding to appearance and flavor. Ground meats are usually browned before cooking in the crockpot, to reduce fat and keep the integrity of the product intact. You don't have to brown ground meats if they are very lean. The meat will then melt into the recipe. Trim off any visible fat from cuts of meat. Fat will make the dishes cook faster.
link to rest of article.. http://busycooks.about.com/library/l...rockpot102.htm

Cool huh?? Hope this helps people!! I am trying to figure out something to put in the crockpot tonight for lunch tomorrow..
Old 03-26-2007, 08:13 PM   #103
Catrinau
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ercvt View Post
Cool huh?? Hope this helps people!! I am trying to figure out something to put in the crockpot tonight for lunch tomorrow..
Wow! Awesome article Steph! Thanks so much!

Mom to 3 rough and tumble boys. Wife to one totally awesome man!

My Crafting Blog!
Catrinau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:34 AM   #104
mikkismama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ercvt View Post
This is great. i was hoping to make my favorite cranberry chicken recipe in the crockpot this week, so this is quite useful.
Thanks!
Old 03-27-2007, 03:07 PM   #105
jete
Registered Users

I like this one, it's yummy.

---------------------------------

Crockpot Salsa Chicken
4-5 chicken breast (can be frozen)
1 can black beans
1 can corn (I drain it)
1 jar salsa
1 block cream cheese

Dump everything but the cream cheese in the crockpot. Cook for 4 hours on high. Toss in the cream cheese and allow to melt. Stir together and serve.

--------------------------------

I serve it over rice or pasta.
jete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:42 PM   #106
annikas_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This thread is seriously making me hungry!

I blog about real food, sustainable living,
natural homemaking, and joyful parenting
at NourishingJoy.com.

annikas_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:33 PM   #107
annikas_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Bumping since a new thread has been started looking for crockpot recipes.

Bon appetit!

I blog about real food, sustainable living,
natural homemaking, and joyful parenting
at NourishingJoy.com.

annikas_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 05:14 AM   #108
Amanda2319
Registered Users

My Mood:

Easy BBQ chicken:

1-2 lbs boneless skinless breasts
1 cup ketchup
1/2 c brown sugar
3 tbsp Worsteshire sauce

Place chicken in pot. Mix remaining ingredients and pour over chicken. Cook on low 8 hours.

Amanda2319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:16 AM   #109
ercvt
Registered Users

My Mood:

I make Chili a lot, and it was actually kinda cold the other day.. so I made this...

1 1 1/2 pounds flank steak ( or any cheap cut of meat) Chopped into 1 inch pieces.
3 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 can of black beans
1 can of chili beans
1 can of kidney beans
1 large onion -- chopped
1 large green bell pepper -- chopped
1 large orange or red bell pepper -- chopped
2 large tomatoes -- chopped ( or two cans of canned tomatoes, and one small can of tomatoe paste)
1 hot chili pepper -- seeded If you want.
2-3 tbsp of garlic, chopped or from a jar

Now, you can either combine them all into the crockpot OR brown the steak separately. If you brown the steak -- you don't have to!!-- mix some flour and chili powder together and roll the pieces in it. That way you have some flavor on the steak. Remember, just BROWN them. Don't cook them.

And honestly.. I don't really measure that much anymore. It just all goes in the pot, gets stirred and checked in about 6 hours.

SO- Cook on low, 6-8 hours or high 3-4. ( Tastes better on the low...)
Old 05-17-2007, 11:21 AM   #110
ercvt
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oh yea.. and this...

CHICKEN WINGS IN TERIYAKI SAUCE

* 3 pounds chicken wings (16 wings)
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 1 cup soy sauce
* 1 cup brown sugar
* 2 teaspoons ground ginger
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1/4 cup dry cooking sherry

*** for added yumminess.. we add canned or fresh chopped pineapple.. YUM!!

Rinse chicken and pat dry. Cut off and discard wing tips. Cut each wing at joint to make two sections. Place wing parts on broiler pan. Broil 4-5 inches from the heat for 20 minutes, 10 minutes for each side or until chicken is brown. Transfer chicken to slow cooker/Crock Pot. Mix together onion, soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, garlic and cooking sherry in bowl. Pour over chicken wings. Cover and cook on Low 5-6 hours or on HIGH 2-3 hours. Stir chicken wings once to ensure wings are evenly coated with sauce. Serve from Slow Cooker. Makes about 32 pieces.

OR THIS!!

3 pounds chicken wings
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup honey
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 tbsp. ketchup
1 garlic clove, minced
PREPARATION:
Cut off and discard chicken wing tips. Cut each wing into 2 parts and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Combine remaining ingredients and mix well. Place wings in slow cooker and pour sauce over. Cook 6 to 7 hours on low.