Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-04-2008, 12:18 PM   #11
infantrywife_101
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Do I HAVE to introduce solids at 6 months?

Any food given before 12 months is for experimental purposes only, not nutritional need. BM is the perfect food!!!

Advertisement

Earn FREE paypal, gift cards, and MUCH more with Swagbucks
infantrywife_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:33 PM   #12
clothmamaof4
Banned
seller

My Mood:

I have no intention of starting solids on his baby until he shows the interest in them. I'm not going to start handing him snacks and things like I did with my other kids. I'm afraid of having another kid that eats nothing but crackers and cookies and no real foods.
clothmamaof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:06 PM   #13
MammaNilsson
Registered Users
seller

There is no "medical" reason to start solids prior to 12 months in an EBF baby. The reason 6 months is thrown out there so much is because in FF babies, it was determined (decades ago) that starting solids ASAP was better for babies than continued formula feeding and 6 months is the earliest that you can start babies on solids w/o the solids endangering their health. (What a mess not BFing creates, huh?"

My 7 month old has never had solids and my firstborn didn't have her first taste of solids until almost 9 months of age. Personally, I wait until they grab the food and put it into their own mouth. I've never had to waste time 'making' baby food because my daughter didn't eat until she could eat what I was eating off my plate. I also never worried about trying to feed her at mealtimes unless SHE initiated the request for what I was eating. Also, I never made separate or additional food for her. If there wasn't anything suitable for her on my plate, I knew she had all she needed nutritionally from the breast. At first she ate once or twice a week and then it gradually increased from there. It's a great way for lazy or busy mother's to start weaning from the breast.

Also, although you can certainly have your baby iron tested as one pp pointed out. The need for iron supplements starting between 6-9 months is a FF baby thing, unless YOU have an iron deficiency.
MammaNilsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:44 PM   #14
luvlieK
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We waited until 7.5 months. The only reason we didn't wait longer is because he seemed very interested and we didn't want to stress him.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:04 AM   #15
brookesmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrywife_101 View Post
Any food given before 12 months is for experimental purposes only, not nutritional need. BM is the perfect food!!!
yep, my dd didn't eat until 14 months.
brookesmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:08 AM   #16
lilysmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldensb View Post
Just start solids when you're ready or when your lo starts showing interest. Foods at this age are more for experience than nutrition.
Yup WSS. My ds is 6 months and I don't plan on starting anytime soon. I am however gearing up my responses to family badgering on the subject
Old 10-09-2008, 11:21 AM   #17
jennyb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

our DO (our family doc) says EBF is fine for 12 months, but if baby shows interest between 6-12 months, that's fine also.

our son was EBF for 6 months, then had rice cereal mixed with breastmilk at 6 months b/c he would not take a bottle of pumped milk and due to a family medical situation i had to be at a hospital helping my grandma ... so dh fed him the cereal mixed with breast milk so i could stay at the hospital for longer periods of time before coming home or having him bring noah to me. he continued to nurse and self-weaned at 22 months. around 8 months he really began grabbing for food off our plates & that's when he started eating fruits & veggies.

our daughter was EBF for 9 months, then starting wanting her brother's yogurt every morning. at 9 months she began eating yogurt and oatmeal, but she really didn't eat fruits or veggies until she was about a year old. she is almost 19 months & still nurses 3-6 times per day

not that it really matters, but both of my babies were "big babies" at birth - a 9 pounder and a 10 pounder. many people think that b/c they started out big, they needed more food, or table food sooner, but it really think that's an old wive's tale.

Get Cash Back from all your fave stores-Click here to join Mr. Rebates!
jennyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:42 PM   #18
j_m_adams
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethany1130 View Post
Is there a medical/health reason that 6 months is the number that everyone throws around? Do they need food at that age?
My son is about to be 6 months and is EBF. He is a pretty big baby and is gaining weight just fine. I don't know, breastfeeding is just so easy, I don't know if I want to complicate things by adding food now.
Anyone else feel this way?
I totally agree that BF is easier, my youngest is 4 months, and I plan to wait until she's a year, plus she's SO sensitive to EVERYTHING in my diet, and on her skin, and in her clothes, so I can't imagine what real food is gonna be like?
Old 10-09-2008, 11:52 PM   #19
sisterof10
Registered Users

I agree on waiting until you and baby are both ready for solids. I usually don't start anything until they are able to pick it up and put it in their mouths (i.e. peas, small sliced green beans, etc).
sisterof10 is offline   Reply With Quote