Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2008, 06:41 PM   #1
crystalannski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Anyone have their infant/toddler on vitamins?

I got infant vitamins for my babies (15 months + 11 months old) from Shaklee a few months ago but they are kind of expensive so after we ran out I never bought more. Well with winter on it's way and us finally getting out of the house for things (story time, kindermusik and childcare at the YMCA..) I'm thinking about it again. With them being around so many other kids I kind of want to safe guard them however I can.

What do you use/suggest?

Advertisement

crystalannski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:59 PM   #2
5babyz4me
Registered Users

Re: Anyone have their infant/toddler on vitamins?

I don't do multi-vitamins with my kids. I did for a season but I finally decided they were worthless since we eat so well. When I can afford I have my kids take an Omega-3 supplement. Nordic Naturals makes a liquid form for the LOs and chewables for the older kids. i also use an Young Living Essential Oil called Immupower. All I do is mix a drop or two with some olive oil and run it on their feet. Rubbing it on their feel uses the ideas behind reflexology. You'd be surprised how well it works to boost immunity. I put it on whenever we are going to an indoor park, library, malls, church, etc. I keep Vitamin C handy for when they appear to be getting sick. We just start pumping them with it. I don't use as many herbal as most other people do but it's just because I have found the essential oils to be very effective and it doesn't cost me as much (the oils go along way.)

If you are looking to boost immunity, stay away from sugar. One teaspoon of sugar (mostly white refined sugars, high frustose corn syrup, and others. . . but natural sugars can act this way if you eat too much) will lower your immune system for up to 4 hours. My kids and I figured out that if you drink one can of soda (which has 12 tsp of sugar) you are lowering your immune system for 48 hours. Yikes!!! NO wander so many people stay sick all fall and winter.

Eating plenty of fruits and veggies will also keep immunity high. I know your babies are young. You could consider a juicer and give them raw juice. My babies love raw veggie juice.

These are just a few things we do around here. I have 5 children and 1 due in a few weeks. We don't have alot of money for supplements but I have found that my budget can handle all this. The Immupower will often last me a full season unless we have an unusually sick season (and we have in the past - some are better than others.) I can tell you that we've never had the flu around here and never get a flu shot.

wife to Chris (13 years)
mom of Jenny(10), Josh(8), Ally(7), Andrew(4), Josiah(2), Ashley (1), Baby Bean EDD May 2010
5babyz4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:01 PM   #3
momofkali
Registered Users

We buy the gummi bear vitamins and have used them with all are kids once they are a year.

I don't know if they need them but I like the idea of the extra assurance....
Old 10-02-2008, 08:03 PM   #4
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Once I started taking vitamins, the kids were asking to take some too. So, now they each get 1 gummy vitamin a day, I take 3-4. I don't mind since they're becoming pickier and pickier in what they eat.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:53 PM   #5
Samandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't have my kids on vitamins. I think as long as they are eating healthy foods, they don't need them. I also don't think that most vitamins are absorbed into our bodies very well.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:10 PM   #6
mandyjeans
Registered Users

Since we live in the Northwest, i have my baby on vitamin D (impossible to get enough through food and we dont get any sun in the winter)...i take it too along with my prenatals (still nursing). i agree with the above about kids that eat really healthy may not need vitamins...but D is really hard to get in food.
mandyjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:11 PM   #7
sheldensb
Registered Users
seller

I used the Poly-Vi-Sol liquid vitamins with my dd when she was younger, but since then my pediatrician has advised against using them with my second child since she said many children can essentially "overdose" on Vitamin A and D. DD is now 3.5 and take Flintstones, and ds who is 5 months isn't taking anything. I always found dd kind of got diarrhea from the liquid vites anyway. HTH!
sheldensb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:12 AM   #8
taximom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samandy View Post
I don't have my kids on vitamins. I think as long as they are eating healthy foods, they don't need them. I also don't think that most vitamins are absorbed into our bodies very well.
I give my kids the ones I sell which they drink and goes right into the body where it needs. They don't have to break down like solid vitamins.
taximom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:53 PM   #9
crystalannski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5babyz4me View Post
I don't do multi-vitamins with my kids. I did for a season but I finally decided they were worthless since we eat so well. When I can afford I have my kids take an Omega-3 supplement. Nordic Naturals makes a liquid form for the LOs and chewables for the older kids. i also use an Young Living Essential Oil called Immupower. All I do is mix a drop or two with some olive oil and run it on their feet. Rubbing it on their feel uses the ideas behind reflexology. You'd be surprised how well it works to boost immunity. I put it on whenever we are going to an indoor park, library, malls, church, etc. I keep Vitamin C handy for when they appear to be getting sick. We just start pumping them with it. I don't use as many herbal as most other people do but it's just because I have found the essential oils to be very effective and it doesn't cost me as much (the oils go along way.)

If you are looking to boost immunity, stay away from sugar. One teaspoon of sugar (mostly white refined sugars, high frustose corn syrup, and others. . . but natural sugars can act this way if you eat too much) will lower your immune system for up to 4 hours. My kids and I figured out that if you drink one can of soda (which has 12 tsp of sugar) you are lowering your immune system for 48 hours. Yikes!!! NO wander so many people stay sick all fall and winter.

Eating plenty of fruits and veggies will also keep immunity high. I know your babies are young. You could consider a juicer and give them raw juice. My babies love raw veggie juice.

These are just a few things we do around here. I have 5 children and 1 due in a few weeks. We don't have alot of money for supplements but I have found that my budget can handle all this. The Immupower will often last me a full season unless we have an unusually sick season (and we have in the past - some are better than others.) I can tell you that we've never had the flu around here and never get a flu shot.
Wow this is really interesting to me, I'm going to have to look into these things, thanks so much for posting
crystalannski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:28 PM   #10
thefragile7393
Registered Users

I didn't really start ds on vitamins until he stopped nursing....we get Lil' Critters Fruit & Veggie gummies, Echenachea (I know that's spelled wrong) and VIt. C gummies, and Trader Joe's Multi Gummies....and soon adding Lil' Critters DHA gummies. I can't get him to take anything else.