Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-27-2006, 06:32 PM   #1
DianeSKB
Registered Users
Formerly: pinaysosexy
seller

My Mood:
help, very LOW milk production

hello everyone.
im new in lll, i hope im welcome to ask about my breastfeeding problem.

im a new mom of a 7 month old girl, lena.
lena has been very good with breastfeeding, she never ever have to drink from a bottle, or formula. now that she's getting big, i dont know if my breasts are making enough milk for her. i noticed my left breast is completely empty and the right one is only full when i wake up in the morning. i think that's the only time my baby gets full. im so worried because i really would like to continue breastfeeding her until at least she turns 1 or whenever she wants to stop. but im not sure now if im still able to do that since my milk production is very low. what should i do? she doesnt look very hungry although im still worried that she's not getting enough. whenever i give her formula from the bottle, she keeps throwing up, like when someone eats something they dont like. i dont know what else to do, she eats solids fine but i dont know why she throws up whenever i give her formula. she doesnt like juice much also. i want to keep breastfeeding her and i tried eating healthy food, and drinking milk and everything else so that i could make more milk but nothing happened. im so worried that she might starve and i dont know what i could give her to fill her in. and one more thing, i got my period today, i guess that's probably one sign that im not making milk as much as before. help please.

----
update
----
she doesnt even want a sippy cup or a bottle with formula in it. so tonight, im just letting her breastfeed eventhough i know she's getting so little milk.
i need help on how to get my production back up aside from drinking and eating healthy, please help. thank you

diane

Advertisement

DianeSKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 06:42 PM   #2
homeschoolingmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: help, very LOW milk production

Fenugreek is an herb that is useful in increasing milk production! You can get it at your local health food store.
Also, the more she nurses, the more your body will be stimulated to produce milk.
If she is not getting enough for now, you could try nursing first and then letting her have a bottle until you can get your milk supply up. You can also look up the La Leche League on the internet and find a local contact that can give you loads more info and ideas!

HTH
Star
homeschoolingmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 06:48 PM   #3
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

How do you know that she's not getting much? You say she doesn't seem hungry... Just because you don't feel full doesn't mean anything. Once the milk balances out, a lot of women don't feel full, but still make plenty of milk.

Some babies just don't do well with formula. My DS has had to be supplemented since he was born, and he's never done well on formula. Now that we're down to only giving him 1-2 bottles a day, he doesn't spit up ever. He used to spit up ALL the time...every time he ate and sometimes in between meals. We tried all different types of formulas. He just doesn't digest it well.

But yeah, I would say if she doesn't seem hungry and she's still having fine diaper output, I'd say don't worry about it, you're doing just fine .

*ETA*
Getting your period isn't a sign you're not making enough milk. It can, however, pull your supply down for a day or two. That's how a lot of bfing mothers know their periods are coming...their DC suddenly start nursing more often for a day or two. Generally once you actually start your period, your milk should come right back up.

Last edited by KnottyLDSMama; 10-27-2006 at 06:51 PM.
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:11 PM   #4
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonprysm View Post
How do you know that she's not getting much? You say she doesn't seem hungry... Just because you don't feel full doesn't mean anything. Once the milk balances out, a lot of women don't feel full, but still make plenty of milk.

Some babies just don't do well with formula. My DS has had to be supplemented since he was born, and he's never done well on formula. Now that we're down to only giving him 1-2 bottles a day, he doesn't spit up ever. He used to spit up ALL the time...every time he ate and sometimes in between meals. We tried all different types of formulas. He just doesn't digest it well.

But yeah, I would say if she doesn't seem hungry and she's still having fine diaper output, I'd say don't worry about it, you're doing just fine .

*ETA*
Getting your period isn't a sign you're not making enough milk. It can, however, pull your supply down for a day or two. That's how a lot of bfing mothers know their periods are coming...their DC suddenly start nursing more often for a day or two. Generally once you actually start your period, your milk should come right back up.

ITA w/ everything she says!

Im going to add that my DD is the same age and my bbs feel really "lifeless" but I know my DD is getting enough milk. I never get engourged anymore or full or leak or anything like that. Its completely normal. Unless your DD is, constipated (and you know its not from something she ate), losing weight or isn't have enough wet diapers dont worry. And just keep on nursing
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:41 PM   #5
MomsHelpingMoms
Registered Users
Formerly: teresaarrington
seller

Keep with it. I have relactated with both of my dd's because of losing milk and it doesn't sound like you've lost yours. One breast might be overproducing, that doesn't mean you left isn't producing at all. Do you have a pump? Pumping after every feeding can greatly crease milk supply. Also, fenugreek is great, but most moms don't know that you need about 1600mg of it, not the 2-3 pills it says to take on the bottle. Pretty much, when your bathroom starts smelling like maple syrup, you have the right dosage. Also, drinking milk does not increase milk. You don't have to drink milk to make it. We are the only beings that drink other animal's milk and they nurse just fine. Increasing water can help, but don't over indulge in that either. Feeling waterlogged won't increase your milk. Eat plenty of oatmeal (increases prolactin levels) and taking brewer's yeast and fenugreek will help a lot, but pumping after every feeding will work best of all. Even if it looks like you aren't getting a lot (some women don't respond well to getting the milk out of a pump) the stimulation is what you want and is what is going to help kick start your production. I would pump for 15 minutes after feeding. In agreeance with pp, if baby isn't seeming hungry or losing weight, your production is probably fine. But for peace of mind, I would try what I said above. Good luck!

Miley Rae was born July 29, 2008 6lb3oz 19"
MomsHelpingMoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 09:17 PM   #6
homeschoolingmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresaarrington View Post
Even if it looks like you aren't getting a lot (some women don't respond well to getting the milk out of a pump) the stimulation is what you want and is what is going to help kick start your production.
Definately! I never could get more than 2 oz when pumping! I tried and tried but it just didn't work for me!
I also agree with the ladies who said that your breasts don't have to feel full to be producing. After the initial period, I never could feel the fullness, but dd nursed exclusively until about 9 mos. and did fine, she didn't wean totally until she was almost 2

Star
homeschoolingmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 09:27 PM   #7
Raquelita
Registered Users
seller

1. Your milk supply sounds fine to me. Once your baby is a few months old your supply regulates such that you don't really feel 'full' or 'engorged' unless your baby has skipped a feeding. Leaking is also less common with an older baby like yours.

2. The best way to tell if you are making enough milk is to gauge your daughter's response - is she acting hungry/frustrated while nursing, even after nursing for 10-20 minutes (this can indicate lower supply)? Is she gaining weight at a good rate (her ped would tell you if he was concerned about her weight)? When she nurses do you hear her swallow? Does she have multiple wet diapers each day? If you can answer 'yes' to the last two questions that is another confirmation that your supply is fine and she is getting what she needs.

3. Quit offering formula. By throwing up she is telling you that her body is not reacting well to it and it is irritating her stomach. She does not need it, and if you continue giving it to her that could interfere with your milk supply. Juice is also unecessary and just empty calories of sugar. She shouldn't even taste it at all until she's an older toddler, and then diluted with water.

4. It is common to have a *temporary* (as in, day or two or three at most) dip in supply when your period comes and that is ok. Expect your DD to nurse more at that time to up your supply and there is no need to supplement. I have found that eating oatmeal helps boost my milk supply so you could try that.

Bottom line - follow your DD's cues on this. As long as she seems satisfied and you are letting her nurse when she wants don't worry about it.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:27 PM   #8
tanyaandallie
Registered Users

If your baby is happy, having plenty of wet diapers and gaining weight well, then your supply is fine. Not feeling full or not feeling like you have a ton of milk is not a sign that your milk is gone. It's very common for you to not get that full feeling once you have been nursing for a long time. My ds is 18 mos and I never feel that full feeling. But, he still gets plenty when he nurses.

If you are really worried, watch your babes dipes for the next few days. As long as there are plenty of wet ones, don't worry. If you find that your supply really is low, try pumping a few times a day, right after a feeding.

old ds feedback: http://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...p?topic=5132.0
tanyaandallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 01:37 AM   #9
momx2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yup! Everyone's said it all!
momx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:03 AM   #10
DianeSKB
Registered Users
Formerly: pinaysosexy
seller

My Mood:

Thank you ladies for all the answers.
Maybe i was just exxagerating. I really thought I wasnt making enough for her but she slept fine last night after I nursed her for a couple of minutes with what I thought was 'empty' bbies. Anyway, maybe it's just the period. Ill keep breastfeeding her and I hope she will never ever get the hungry feeling. LoL. Thanks so much again ladies. Ill try the oatmeal idea too, matter of fact, Im gonna go get it now. Thanks!!!

Diane
DianeSKB is offline   Reply With Quote