Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2008, 10:01 AM   #1
karlakc
Registered Users

Non-vax/ Selective-vaxers: How did you enroll kids in school?

I have chosen to selectively vax my 19 month old daughter on a delayed schedule due to a high incidence of autism in my family and family history of allergies and sensitivities. I intend to start her DTaP vaccinations after her second birthday, one at a time, not all together. She has been in daycare since a very early age, but now the daycare wants updated immunization records and, well, they haven't been updated, because there have been no immunizations. Do any of you have suggestions on how to go about an appeal letter or something that would be suitable for my daycare to present to the state in lieu of immunization records. I just really don't want to give her the MMR or chicken pox vaxine at all. I would hate to be "bullied" into it. (My oldest was vaccinated on her pediatrician's schedule, so I never had this problem.) Please help!

Advertisement

Old 10-03-2008, 10:10 AM   #2
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Non-vax/ Selective-vaxers: How did you enroll kids in school?

I sign a waiver. they act like they don't know about it and I ask for it again. I sign off on religious beliefs even though its not (I will do whatevere I must to protect my kids) and I also sign off medical stating we have problems with vaccines (I had bad reaction) I have NEVER gotten a doc to sign off on it. I have 3 kids in school, not one issue thus far
Old 10-03-2008, 10:20 AM   #3
lirpasirhc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

All states except for MS and WV have a religious exemption. Some states also have a philisophical excemption. Here is Idaho's. It's tricky b/c religious exemptions mean you must object to all vaccinations - you must object to the practice of vaccination, not to specific ingredients or specific vaccinations. If your state has a vax registry that the schools have access to, you need to get your child's info off of it. Then don't let the school know that your children have had any vaccinations, and fill out the religious exemption.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:57 PM   #4
bobandjess99
Registered Users
seller

I just signed a paper saying i was religiously opposed to vaccinations.
they also have a forn i could have signed, but i didn't know it at the time, so i signed it afterwards. no issues
bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:29 PM   #5
mamashhon
Registered Users
Formerly: m2bs11n5
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthmom View Post
I sign a waiver. they act like they don't know about it and I ask for it again. I sign off on religious beliefs even though its not (I will do whatevere I must to protect my kids) and I also sign off medical stating we have problems with vaccines (I had bad reaction) I have NEVER gotten a doc to sign off on it. I have 3 kids in school, not one issue thus far

Thats what I do as well... I got mine from our local health department. I did religious reasons as well.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:36 PM   #6
dogmom327
Registered Users
seller

Around here you sign the religious exemption and they are not allowed to question you. So far I don't know anyone who's run into problems.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:44 PM   #7
paper_girl_76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't think daycare is the same as schools if it is privately funded. For school, I just signed a philosophical exemption.

What state are you in?

ETA: Found this link in my favorites. Looks like it is easy for your state.
http://www.unhinderedliving.com/statevaccexemp.html

Last edited by paper_girl_76; 10-03-2008 at 05:49 PM.
paper_girl_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:50 PM   #8
pillywiggins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, you can use the religious exemption for privately funded daycares. The difference between our public schools and private are that the private wants you to name your religion. Public just wants us to say that we religiously object to "blank" and that's all. For us in Illinois, we still didn't have to specifically name a church for daycare, just what our religious beliefs were and not even the religion itself.

There's ways around it mama! Also, we might selectively vax when the girls are older and they have had a few before we decided to stop. It's not the schools business to know that. Your doc can't share info so if you want to still vax but make sure you are safe with a waiver at school, so be it.

Last edited by pillywiggins; 10-03-2008 at 07:55 PM.
pillywiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:10 PM   #9
literacylaunchpad
Registered Users
Formerly: acw1

I used to work as an assistant director at a daycare and we had at least one non-vax family and there was no issue with it. Have they told you that they require vaccinations?
literacylaunchpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:41 AM   #10
pixilated
Registered Users
seller

My state has a philosophical exemption, I simply used that.