Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2008, 11:42 AM   #1
Jenney17
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
So..How do you find a ped that is ok w/ delayed vax?

Our current ped is great about that, but he is 60 miles away because we moved. With twins and $40 each co pay, another $20 on gas is becoming a problem. We have moved to a more rural area and I am not thrilled with the one ped we have seen here. She is one of those one foot out the door types. Where do you start in finding a new one?

TIA

Advertisement

Old 10-03-2008, 11:44 AM   #2
TyAndCheyMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: So..How do you find a ped that is ok w/ delayed vax?

We live in a rural area and sad to say- we don't even have any actual Peds within an hour from us....
I wish you all the luck!!
TyAndCheyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:28 PM   #3
Jenney17
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Anyone? Hmmmm nobody knows?
Old 10-03-2008, 05:33 PM   #4
dogmom327
Registered Users
seller

Asking around is the only way I know of. Thankfully we have a pretty large crunchy parent community around here so there are lots of people willing to make recommendations.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:36 PM   #5
PalmyraMom
Registered Users

My Mood:

See if there is an AP group (usually online) around where you live. Or, call LLL; they of course don't encourage or discourage such things, but usually at least some of the mamas at meetings have some experience!

Good luck and good for you!
PalmyraMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:37 PM   #6
earthmamastyle
Registered Users
Formerly: barbaramommyof2
seller

My Mood:

Did you do an int. search and call up and ask the receptionsit about the doc and their "ways " about vacs? At our doc one of the docs is CRAZY about vacs. He literally looks down on you with a scowl if you aren't up to date with your vacs. But then the other doc is sooo cool, she is even cool about co sleeping! I found them by calling around and asking the receptionist how the docs where. Hope that helps mama. It is tricky how to handle the docs and the vacs!!!
earthmamastyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:54 PM   #7
5babyz4me
Registered Users

I drive about 45 minutes to get to my ped as well. But I waited nearly 8 years to find a ped that I trusted. I even have one baby (he's 3 now) that didn't have a well baby until he was 2 yod. That was how fed up with crappy drs that I was. I just didn't want to fight anymore. I finally decided that we would just deal with the drive. I also decided that I would begin to learn more natural means of health care so that I didn't have to go see her as often.

You might talk to your ped about this. If my kids are sick, she will see one child and then treat all of them (if needed.) So I only have to pay one co-pay. She also allows me to decide when we do well baby exams. I only did 2 exams for my now 20 mod in his first year. I did one at 4 weeks and then another at 12 mos (and then this year we did an 18 mod but I did that one because he's having issues with eczema that I can't solve. It killed two birds with one stone.) I didn't feel I needed one simply because I wasn't vaxing. Most well baby exams are set up along the vax schedule. She was totally alright with when I would come in. And she was VERY supportive of my move to more natural medicine. She's been upfront with me and told me she trust me to know when it's time to come in and see her for extra help.

I guess that is why I finally decided to just deal with the drive.

wife to Chris (13 years)
mom of Jenny(10), Josh(8), Ally(7), Andrew(4), Josiah(2), Ashley (1), Baby Bean EDD May 2010
5babyz4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:14 PM   #8
bellamama
Registered Users
seller

Our pediatrician tolerates it. She respects our decision and I am fine with that.
She was our older daughters Dr. We vaccinated her up until 16 months. She knew I was hesitant so I dont think it was a big surprise this time around.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:18 PM   #9
Edensmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmyraMom View Post
See if there is an AP group (usually online) around where you live. Or, call LLL; they of course don't encourage or discourage such things, but usually at least some of the mamas at meetings have some experience!

Good luck and good for you!
Yep! All of those are good ideas! You can even ask a local doula.
Edensmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:23 PM   #10
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Our previous ped decided that he could no longer care for our children when we refused most vax; he said that undermined our trust relationship. So we were dismissed from a practice of 13 peds. DH started just making calls to all peds from the yellow pages, alphabetically. He flat out asked if they could accomodate no vax or delayed vax or selective vax families and if so, could he schedule a consultation to meet the ped? We went to three free consultations and found nirvana with doctor #3. We spoke honestly and openly about our vax concerns and the new ped says she appreciated our informed decision and even if we do not agree on vax, she respects my perogative to do what's best for my children IMO. The practice just felt right KWIM?
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote