Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2008, 06:08 PM   #1
tmrobinson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Giving kids supplements?

I'm not talking like crazy weight gaining stuff but more along the lines of health food type of stuff. Dd does not eat a real balanced diet and is a very picky eater. The only vegetable she eats is corn and I know that really isn't all that chock full of vitamins. She eats pizza and fruit. I have replaced her pizza sauce with pureed carrots and use whole wheat english muffins for crust. She will eat a little bit of beef (tacos & meat sauce on spaghetti) but no chicken. She eats tons of fresh fruit (anything but watermelon) and lately has been eating fruit smoothies I have been making with fruit and yogurt. I have been wondering if maybe there was something I could add to the smoothie to help "balance" her diet. I was even thinking about wheat germ but wasn't sure. I am wondering if she's getting enough protein?

Advertisement

tmrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:34 PM   #2
Suzanne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Giving kids supplements?

Wait, you actually successfully replaced pizza sauce with pureed carrots? YOU ROCK MAMA!
Suzanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:00 PM   #3
earthmamastyle
Registered Users
Formerly: barbaramommyof2
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like your getting your LO to eat way more than I can get my DD to eat! I give her Juice plus, JP's it's a gummi vitamin for kids. There are lots of veg. and fruit powders at health food stores to add to smoothies and stuff. I gotta try that pureed carrots idea!!
earthmamastyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:25 PM   #4
tmrobinson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yup carrots work best but I've also tried sweet potatoes. Just cover with lots of cheese. Dd doesn't seem to notice the difference but trust me a grown up would, the smell actually makes dh gag.

tmrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:34 PM   #5
5babyz4me
Registered Users

I would personally add an Omega 3 supplement. You can get the flavored oil and add it to the smoothie when you give her one. This is the only supplement that my ped recommends and the only one i have given to my kids. At one point I did do Juice Plus and LOVED. But I can't afford it for 6 kids so we don't do it anymore. if you can afford the Juice Plus I would go for that as well (my ped also recommends this to her patients who don't eat a whole foods diet. We do so she's never said anything to me about it.)

wife to Chris (13 years)
mom of Jenny(10), Josh(8), Ally(7), Andrew(4), Josiah(2), Ashley (1), Baby Bean EDD May 2010
5babyz4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 02:00 AM   #6
sheldensb
Registered Users
seller

My friend's kid was super picky too, and she slipped baby food veggies into mac n' cheese, meatloaf, whatever, and the kids couldn't tell. You could also mix in veggie juices with the smoothies--I'm sure you can find some kid friendly juice recipes online that don't taste "veggie" too.
sheldensb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:54 AM   #7
mama2logan&evan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My oldest has food sensory issues and won't touch meats or veggies and my youngest isn't a huge veggie fan. I give them a multi vitamin every morning to help balance things out.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:00 AM   #8
Rodeo Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS has some texture issues and doesn't always eat very well, so we give him Rainbow Light Nutristars multivitamins.
Amanda, wife to Andrew, mama to Dale , Olivia , Wyatt and Nora . Baby #5 due in late April.
Rodeo Mama is offline   Reply With Quote