Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-04-2008, 06:31 AM   #1
swismiself
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Delaying solids for forumla fed babies

It killed me that I couldn't breast feed. I tried so hard, but because of my reduction surgery 8 years ago, not all the pathways had reconnected. I had plenty of milk but no matter how much I pumped I couldn't get it all OUT! So of course I got a bad case of mastitis. So, we formula feed.

All the information I find on-line about delaying solids refers to breastfed babies. But what about formula fed babies? My son is 3 months old and already I have family members pushing me to start cereal. My nephew (3.5 months older than my son) started at 4 months...and he is otherwise EBF. I thought it seemed early, but that's not my business (at least I convinced my SIL on the extended rear facing car seat issue).

I want to delay solids for my son. I know about the open gut issue, but I was wondering how different it is with formula fed babies.

Is 6 months an ok time to start, or should I wait even longer? My MIL said something horrible to me the other day...she told me I should start solids because he's a hungry boy and needs it and because it's cheaper than formula!!!! I would *never* do something that might affect the health and wellbeing of my son just because it might save me a little bit of money. He is a hungry boy but it's not that bad yet. He usually drinks 4oz and then sometimes an extra 2oz 45 minutes later. He eats every 2-3 hours (goes longer if he takes a long nap) and cluster feeds at night. At 6 weeks old he started sleeping 8 hours and now we get 11 on average (sometimes 10, sometimes 12). So yeah, the whole "babies must have solids to sleep through the night" myth is definitely that - a myth! Oh, and he's on soy formula because he had horrible gas as an infant. I may have a slight milk sensitivity, but until I see an allergist I'm not really sure. I'm not sure if it was the soy formula or just time that fixed his gas problems.

Do I have to give him rice/barley/whatever cereal? I wouldn't mind giving oatmeal, though. Does it have to be the baby kind? The only experience I have with cereal is that my mother used to add it to the bottles to thicken the formula at around 6 months of age. Is that ok to do?

We thought about switching him back to regular formula at 6 months and see how he does. Or should I not even bother????

Thanks,
Mel

Advertisement

swismiself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
swismiself
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Delaying solids for forumla fed babies

anyone?
Old 10-04-2008, 06:27 PM   #3
L&G'sMomma
Registered Users

My Mood:

I was "pressured" into starting solids with my first early. I started shortly after 4 months. I EBF both of my kids (still my dd). I don't truly think that your child is anyone else's business. If you don't want to start, DON'T! If you want to try it. Its as easy as that. Your son will not starve to death, and while I have a mom that put cereal in our bottles, it just can't be that healthy for them. My new theory is "let them be babies". They will have the rest of their lives to eat "real" food. Just enjoy them while they are little and tell other people who have advice to have their own children if they want to make the decisions, and shut their mouths about your children.

People make me crazy voicing their opinions so! lol

You will figure it out, use your mommy instinct and go with it!

ISO: Trendy Maternity Clothes (Small) and newborn AIO's.
L&G'sMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:52 PM   #4
mommy2twins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am not sure what delayed solids is so I am curious to what people have to say. Both of my twins had horrible reflux and saw a ped gi doctor who told us to add rice cereal to their bottles to thicken it up, so we did and it helped a little. He also recommended that we start any solids in a bowl at 6 months and fruits not until 9 months...so we did. I believe the aap recommends to start any solids at 6mo. I agree with pp, do what you feel is best for you child. Mommy instinct is usually right.
AprilSAHM to my fab twin girls (3/07)Maddison and Cameryn Grace , and Samuel born 1/10 by an amazing waterbirth using hypnobabies, Zander born 3/12 a beautiful home water birth using Hypnobabies both fully intact non vaxing,ing, , and wife to my awesome high school sweet heart of 12 years
***HYPNOBABIES CHILDBIRTH HYPNOSIS INSTRUCTOR- St. Louis, MO!***
mommy2twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:00 PM   #5
naivete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

kellymom says:

Quote:
Although some of the reasons listed here assume that your baby is breastfed or fed breastmilk only, experts recommend that solids be delayed for formula fed babies also.
(here: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html)
Old 10-04-2008, 09:22 PM   #6
MammaNilsson
Registered Users
seller

Actually, the history of recommending solids at 6 months is because it was determined decades ago that solid food was better for babies than formula. Now, formula's have obviously improved a lot over the years, but if it were me, I'd lean toward starting solids sooner rather than later with a FF baby. I would NOT start w/ cereal. Babies bodies don't even have the necessary enzymes for digesting carbohydrates until about 10 months. Start with sweet things, like bananas and sweet, starchy veggies, like sweet potatoes. Also, since iron deficiencies are common in FF babies after 6 months, focus on iron rich foods...bananas are good. My mother started all of us (even though we were EBF) on bananas w/ tiny slivers of calf liver (because that's got about the highest iron content of any human food).

Check out sites like www.kellymom.com for good foods to start w/. Probably LLL has some info on starting solids. I would start my FF baby (if I had one) on the same kinds of solids that BF'd babies should start on just because it helps avoid allergenic foods and weird things. I think Kellymom.com has info on exactly when the enzymes reach adult levels for each different food group so that might be helpful in determining what foods to start and when.

Also, there's no reason to purchase 'baby' foods. You can mash a tablespoon of your own food (just making sure it's the right kind of food) as long as it doesn't have lots of salt or spices or anything. That's what my mother used to do because when babies start solids, they don't eat a plateful of something. They eat about a tablespoonful. You might have to mix it w/ a little water or formula to give it a good consistency, but well cooked veggies and fruit generally is about the perfect consistency for a LO.

Hope that helps.
MammaNilsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:33 AM   #7
swismiself
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Definitely going to make my own!

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2008, 02:08 PM   #8
*Aimee*
Registered Users
seller

I delay solids and my boys are/were formula fed. I have IGT so I can't fully breast feed. I really want to start my littlest on food (he'll be 6 months tomorrow) but it's he doesn't like having food in his mouth, so we'll wait even longer

I wouldn't do rice cereal. It's just a filler food and not healthy. The only reason they recommend it is for iron and your baby REALLY doesn't need iron if he's formula fed. I would do bananas, avocados, ripe natural foods.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:19 PM   #9
swismiself
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I definitely want to do banana and avocado, but I also want to start with veggies too. We have tons of green beans from the garden frozen into little cubes, and winter squash on its way, too.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:12 PM   #10
brandywk
Registered Users
seller

IF he has gas issues don't use rice cereal... it has lactose in it. We have to thicken my lo bottles due to reflux and we use oatmeal so that we can avoid the gas! And get him checked for milk protien allergy. My son had horrible gas and couldn't even be on nutramigen...we had to go to an even more hydorlized formula that is broken down to the amino acid "neocate"...it helped with the allergy but now we have constipation which is a whole nother issue. Don't feed babies bannanas if the have constipation issues!!!
SAHM to loving DH , DS#1, DD#2 & DS #3
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]ISO- med FB,BG 3.0, Rumparooz,Haute Pockets, Minky preston pants
brandywk is offline   Reply With Quote