Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-25-2006, 01:44 PM   #1
mandikaake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Help with Weaning

So, I'm not ready for this yet, but I'm wondering if someone can give me an in depth description of how to wean before I'm in the middle of it. My son is 7 months old and I plan on weaning when he's a year old and moving on to milk. The milk is another story as well because I'm not sure if I want to do organic cows milk or rice milk. Definately do not want to do soy for personal reasons.

No there is nothing wrong with supply, my son, etc.... At this point this is the time frame my husband and I have decided on. It may change and I may go longer, but I'd like help just in case.

Thank you so much for your help!

Mandi

Advertisement

mandikaake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:43 AM   #2
motherhubbard
Registered Users

Re: Help with Weaning

I thought I would wean at 12 months with all of mine, certainly never going past 18 months. After all they are nearly grown at that point, right? Well it never worked that way. I stopped nursing my first daughter during a major illness in my family and I just didn't know any better, she was too young. The others just still looked like my babies when they were on my lap to nurse. That's when we started child led weaning. I don't know how you would wean a baby that loves to nurse since they get so much more than milk from you. Sometimes I think that the milk is the least of what they get (and we all know the value of human milk for human babies).

Most of the time it is very different to nurse an older baby. They tend to nurse fewer and fewer times a day then just a couple of times a week then every other week or something like that. The neat thing is that the milk becomes more concentrated with the good stuff since the baby is nursing less often.

I hope that you are able to wean in a way that makes you and your child happy. A wean date doesn't have to be set in stone at this point, that can be a lot of pressure. Just look at your baby and listen to his needs and you'll know what to do. If you find yourself feeling unsure, just nurse through the end of the week and decide next week. Eventually it will feel right.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:50 AM   #3
GracieGooseSC
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: Help with Weaning

We weaned slowly, I would cut back on one feeding at a time. The morning and night feeding were last to go. It was so nice, because we took our time so there was no engorgment, fussiness, and we were both ready to be done and neither of us were sad.
Mamato Halee (9) Chloe (7) Dalilah (4) Jack Greyson (2) and Baby#5 due in Oct!
GracieGooseSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 08:01 AM   #4
MilkOnDemand
Registered Users
seller

If you opt for parent led weaning, just do it gently and slowly. Remember, breastmilk doesn't lose all value as the sun sets on your baby's first birthday LOL! So take it slow losing maybe one feeding per week until he is weaned - it's less painful emotionally and physically that way
MilkOnDemand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 01:42 PM   #5
mandikaake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks so much for the encouragement and gentle words of help! I have a feeling it will be more child led, but I'm not sure. This is my second child but I didn't breastfeed the first and now wish I had. She is 7 and my son is 7 months. Crazy span there huh!

Mandi
mandikaake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:43 PM   #6
Malka
Registered Users
seller
seller

I weaned my two oldest by cutting down on feedings slowly. They both took bottles and were under a year when we weaned, but weren't so attached to nursing. For some reason, the early morning feeding is always the last one to go for us, so eventually there would be a morning where I had to be somewhere early, and we were done.

My two youngest weaned themselves at 13-16 months. Neither of them ever took a bottle, but they were drinking from sippy cups by then. I would have nursed longer, they weren't interested anymore. I did try to wean my youngest at 11 months as she was having health issues and all of her doctors felt she needed to wean in order to gain weight, and she refused to drink formula or milk, so I gave up.
Malka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 09:07 AM   #7
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We do child led weaning so I couldn't tell you... He's 2. It is great for tantrums during the toddler years.

DOULA in training!

HCG Diet works! Ask me how.
greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote