Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-04-2008, 11:35 AM   #1
nirtak99
Registered Users
seller

EU mamas-what laundry detergent do you use?

Does anyone have a recomendation for laundry detergent to wash cloth diapers in for the EU? All of the brands I see listed on US sites I can't find here in Portugal, and my Portuguese isn't good enough yet to decipher the labels on the brands here. I bought one listed as a "baby" detergent, but I suspect there may be enzymes or other ingredients that I don't want in it. Any help would be appreciated..I am just starting cloth diapering, I have an almost 4 week old daughter (our first).

Advertisement

nirtak99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:42 AM   #2
queenginseng
Registered Users
seller

Re: EU mamas-what laundry detergent do you use?

I use Indian Soap nuts/wash nuts. A lot of detergents in Germany, where I live have enzymes, brighteners etc.

Mom to Joseph 10.2006 and Elizabeth 12.2010-born with a cleft palate

ISO/IHA
queenginseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:48 AM   #3
Ami in Deutschland
Registered Users

My Mood:

Great question. I just started looking for no enzyme detergent before DS2 gets here. I currently use store brand detergent (Aldi or DM), but it does use enzymes. DS1 doesn't have a problem with the enzymes. I tried soap nuts, but didn't care for the smell. Little tip: anything that ends in "-ase" on the label is probably enzymes. The diaper sites here usually recommend Ulrich. Ecover brand is also available in Europe.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:40 AM   #4
nirtak99
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the info...I do use Ecover for cleaning products, but for some reason was thinking it wouldn't be good for diapers since the other "eco detergent (7th Generation) that I used in the US has enzymes, now I see that Ecover does not, so i think that will be a good option to try.

Another question...what do you use for stripping? We don't have Dawn detergent here, but have one called Fairy that has a blue option, would this work? I guess I should compare the ingredients list for the two if I have the time.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:43 PM   #5
Ami in Deutschland
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have a front loader and wash at 60°C and have never had to strip. I think stripping is mainly a top loader problem, since you use more detergent in a top loader and the rinse cycle isn't as long.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:27 AM   #6
nirtak99
Registered Users
seller

I also have a front loader that I wash at 60°C, so hopefully I won't have to strip either! Thanks again for the info Ami!
Old 10-07-2008, 04:18 PM   #7
BouncyBottomsInc
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirtak99 View Post
Thanks for the info...I do use Ecover for cleaning products, but for some reason was thinking it wouldn't be good for diapers since the other "eco detergent (7th Generation) that I used in the US has enzymes, now I see that Ecover does not, so i think that will be a good option to try.

Another question...what do you use for stripping? We don't have Dawn detergent here, but have one called Fairy that has a blue option, would this work? I guess I should compare the ingredients list for the two if I have the time.

We use tide bc it smells so good and just easy to find. My finnish isnt that good to decipher the stuff on the package here and dh cant translate stuff this hard! We have fairy here to and it works just as good as dawn. We have both, but I tend to buy fairy just because dh likes it. dawn is actually cheaper. Have you looked for an international market? We find lots of neat things not in the local stores that we find at the euromarket. Thats where I go to get all my american stuff.

"Walking by faith and NOT by sight..."
BouncyBottomsInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:36 AM   #8
queenginseng
Registered Users
seller

Ya soap nuts have a nutty smell to them. I make a juice out of them by soaking them and pouring them in the machine through an expresso filter. I did not like that they technically do not wash out if you use them whole in the wash.

OP: I just used a bit of regular dish detergent (I can't remember which one) and did a 90 degree wash to strip when I was dumb enough to use 'Bebi Soap' who repelled my microfiber.

Mom to Joseph 10.2006 and Elizabeth 12.2010-born with a cleft palate

ISO/IHA
queenginseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:34 PM   #9
HadassahSukkot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use Persil sensitive... As far as I know that's about all I can use. I have really sensitive skin and have to worry about allergens... same for my son.

I use maybe 1 TBS of it per wash.

HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:35 AM   #10
AundAPenner
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm getting ready to order my diapers this week and hope to do all the prep work and get started CDing by this weekend (gotta love the Deutsche Post!).

We currently use Persil Sensitive - my skin is pretty sensitive. I'm open to trying the Ecover though ... what do you ladies think?
AundAPenner is offline   Reply With Quote