Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-11-2008, 10:29 AM   #11
Ami in Deutschland
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: EU mamas-what laundry detergent do you use?

I use the Aldi Süd Tandil Color detergent, though I'm going to try Ecover when my supply runs out. The Aldi brand did well in Stiftung Warentest and it's cheap. test results I used Denk Mit sensitive (from DM) when DS was newborn, but he doesn't seem to have sensitive skin so I can't vouch for it's non-irritating properties. Some diaper manufacturers recommend detergent without enzymes (enzymes can irritate the skin), so Ecover or soap nuts would be the way to go for that. If you make your choice according to test results check out Oeko-test and Stiftung Warentest search for Waschmittel or Waschpulver.

Advertisement

Old 11-18-2008, 06:21 AM   #12
HadassahSukkot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was looking to do the soap nuts.. are they a pain in the front loaders?

HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 05:52 AM   #13
Ami in Deutschland
Registered Users

My Mood:

Update: I've been using Ecover Color powder for my diapers for the past two weeks, and I am not impressed.

First off, you have to use MUCH more detergent than with the Tandil Color compact (115 ml vs. 65 ml for middle grade hard water and normal soil). On the package, the Ecover said for 12 loads. Yikes! At 6 Euros a box, that is way more than I'd like to spend on detergent. My old detergent is a 30 load package. Secondly, the diapers are just not getting as clean. There are a lot of poop stains left on both covers and inserts and with some things so dirty I have to wash them a second time (not so green). They also don't smell clean.

I'm going to go back to my old detergent and save the Ecover for the second baby, in case he has issues with enzymes in the detergent. If I have to work out a diaper wash routine with Ecover then, I think I can manage. EBF poo washes out better than the stinkies we've got now.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:03 AM   #14
HadassahSukkot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

wow, Thanks for letting us know!

HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 06:07 AM   #15
AundAPenner
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We've got a very limited stash of CDs (still waiting for the items we ordered from online here in Germany to ship ... 3 weeks now!).

We're using PFs and mostly wool - we have one wool cover and 2 PUL-type covers - and the disana tie diapers (for DH - he just tried the pins and got himself - twice!).

I did not buy any special detergent - but we normally use the Persil Sensitive. I just use a little bit less. And thankfully, our washing machine has a cycle for Baby Baumwolle! It does the cold rinse first then a wash. I don't have to do anything but load it, but in a bit of detergent and press start. Super easy.

I'm quite happy with the Persil Sensitive. And I was considering switching to the Ecover, but after the PPs review, I'll stick with what I know works.
AundAPenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:34 AM   #16
Pelly
Registered Users

Hi Ladies! I know this tread is from a while ago, but I thought I'd just bring it up again to see if anyone has more info or any specific info for detergents available in Greece. It seems to me from the previous answers that Persil Sensitive is the most recommened. I'm hoping I can find it, but I also saw that it has optical whiteners which is supposedly not good for the diapers. Any advice? I'm going to be using GMD prefolds and covers for my babies (tripets!) until the BumGenius 3.0's fit. Any advice is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!
Pelly
Pelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:24 AM   #17
nirtak99
Registered Users
seller

Not much more to report, but wow, triplets! You will go through a lot of diapers!! I have been using Ecover, and like the previous poster said, it is expensive, and I think there are more stains than perhaps with other detergents, but my diapers do smell clean, and here in Portugal, as in Greece, there is lots of sun, so my diapers are still white as new after a good sunning! Though we also through them in the dryer for a few minutes at the end of the day to soften them up. I am thinking about switching to something else when my ecover runs out, but not sure what yet.
nirtak99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:43 PM   #18
ingrid5699
Registered Users

I have been using the Aldi store brand detergent with no issues in almost 2,5 years of cloth diapering. It does contain enzymes but we have had no problems with it at all. I use about 1/4-1/3 of the recommended amount. (which equals to about 1tbs I think)
Ingrid, Mommy to Patrick 12'06 and Aurelia 12'08, Mommy to 6 angel babies-triplets 11'04, baby B 5'06 and our last little angel 2'12, chemical pregnancy 6'12, hoping our rainbow baby will join us in May 2013
ingrid5699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:09 AM   #19
ungratefulbiped
Registered Users

Ariel are Tide, it's just the name P&G use in europe. I love Ariel/Tide as it smells like home to me! I buy the tablets and use a half a tablet unless it's a really poopy/big load and then i use one tablet. Been working great for us!
ungratefulbiped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:31 AM   #20
nirtak99
Registered Users
seller

Thanks Ungrateful biped, I had no idea they were the same, useful info!
nirtak99 is offline   Reply With Quote